1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG on PTI

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, May 22, 2007.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Very true, hoping we get a similar situation to what happen in the NFL with the Tampa Bay Bucs a few years back when they let Dungy go. Not a pretty break up but he laid the ground work and the next guy took them to the championship.

2. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

the same way del harris laid the ground work for phil jackson? cmon man.

tmac and yao are the main guys and they're good w/ or w/o JVG.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Had Yao continued under Rudy T (or any so-called player's coach, for that matter), he wouldn't be nearly the player he is today. Regardless of what happens from this point forward, JVG's vision allowed Yao to become the force that he is today.

4. GRENDEL

Jezz, guess some aren't willing to give JVG any credit what so ever for anything.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they give him the credit for losing...I dont know why people feel the need to vilify him. I guess its b/c he's an easy scapegoat.

6. GRENDEL

perhaps if he'd just smiled some more, damn it! :rolleyes:

7. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

he has a special talent for getting people to hate him. But thats the most outrageous superficial and ignorant thing i hated to hear people complain about...he isnt 'happy' enough. lol.

8. GRENDEL

so true, just curious to see peoples reaction after they see a couple of Adelman post game interviews....

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

should be fun to see. personally i always got at least 1 real good laugh while jvg was answering questions but i can see how some people dont see through his dry delivery.

10. GRENDEL

Same here

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think Les viewed this as a business decision as much as a basketball one, and I'm not so sure he's wrong about that.

Obviously, the team is in business to make money, and winning a championship is the sure-fire way of doing that. And while it was refreshing to see JVG turn the Rockets into a defensive powerhouse, if you stop and think about it, our two star players are both much better suited to an offensive game. Their skill sets, while being pretty versatile, are heavily weighed toward offense. Combine that with the certainty that only ONE team wins the title every year, and injuries, other personnel, schedule quirks, etc., also play a big part in a team's chances of winning it all. Maybe the owner wants to make sure he has a crowd-pleasing, money-making machine in case this particular team doesn't ever win a title. Showcase his two franchise players in their best possible light and hope that everything else falls into place.

From a business standpoint, this almost seems like an easy decision, especially when the coach you bring in has a track record of getting teams into the playoffs like Adelman does.

12. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

jvg the villan

I can understand people hate JVG but not your own fans....Rocket fans should be happy with what he did for...its ok for fans of other teams to hate him and I see why they might but rockets fans should support him or whoever the rockets coach is..especailly one likke JVG who worked his ASS for this team and did a lot.....
    lighten up people.....give the guy his due....

#52 dreammvp, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  13. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

JVG is all over now! I heard him on JT the Brick last night.
    He was only asked about the NBA Draft Lottery.

He seems much happier doing TV than coaching, and I actually enjoy his commentating.
    Or maybe he's just refreshing compared to umm.........Clyde?