1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG On 1560

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PigMiller, Apr 30, 2008.

1. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Starts after this commercial break. He's supposed to be breaking down the series.

www.1560thegame.com if you want to stream online.

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks for the heads up!

3. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Thanks for the heads up, but last time I heard JVG comment on this series it was clear he was not watching the games and just commenting on box scores and past references.

Im going to tune in and listen.
    Wasnt he doing the Spurs game last night?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is on now...but for some reason the internet connection keeps screwing up.

DD

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Is anyone else having streaming issues?

It may be just me, but I thought I would ask.

Edit: never mind ;)

6. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I was.
    Sounds like JVG is just treading water.
    I dont think he even watched the games.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

recap anyone? I'm in class :(

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

exactly, can tmac score 8 pts and houston can beat phoenix in a CLOSE-OUT PLAYOFF GAME?

manu has zero pressure to play how he plays. he can suck and the media does not care.

people can look at stats and really blow things out of proportion.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Same here, pissing me off

10. t_mac1

recap:

JVG
    1) manu is obviously not better than tmac (like i posted above)
    2) said this is why he played rafer a lot of mins last yr. he is just shooting better this yr. we play better than utah in games 3,4,5 b/c of rafer. we didn't in games 1/2 more depth than anything

then they talked about dallas and other teams

11. TiMacManiaa

TiMacManiaa Member

JVG saying mcgrady is still a GREAT player...not as good as before but can still take over but not as much as before.

that he has to do a LOT for the rockets to win..

talked about how rafer is playing good and how the rockets are dominating utah since he came back

12. t_mac1

he's just not as dominant as he was before OFFENSIVELY. before, he can score 30 pretty much anytime he wants. now it's not the case b/c his J isn't there anymore. MORE IMPORTANTLY, he doesn't get the calls. yesterday, if he had gotten 3-4 calls, he would have gotten 7-8 fts and he would end up shooting 13-22 instead. things like that don't go his way anymore.

HOWEVER, he still dominates in other ways that manu can't. manu can score 8 pts and does NOTHING else to help the team like rebounds, assists... that's the difference people don't see when comparing these guys.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

sounds like jvg was talking to you dadakota.... :)

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He just said mem would have more wins with battier. Battier is a good glue guy, but memphis would win even less w/o gay.

15. DaDakota

My recap staring when the internet connection sorted itself out.

If JVG was being interviewed for a coaching gig what would he want to know?

Two main things.

1. Who is picking the players? Is it collaborative or not? JVG thinks that without question, every coach would want final say in who he has on his team, but even Popovich have good people to set him straight and avoid the bouts of coaching crazyness....so it has to be the GM because he has a better view on short vs long term and financial view. The GM should do it with input from the coach and staff.

2. Is style important or is winning important -

Thinks Spurs will beat New Orleans, thought the Mavs would have beaten the Hornets....thinks CP3 has made West and the rest good players.

Being asked about Boston - what does he think about overall NBA?

JVG said he was talking to Thibidouex and that he was in a complete sweat.....

Says you look at Atlanta's lineup and you have to be impressed with their lineup......he still expects Boston to win game 5 tonight and game 6 will be competitive.....and thinks NO team wants to go into game 7 because of the unknowns like injuries, crucial call etc...

How do you see the Rockets situation if they lose to Utah with the injury situations with TMac and Yao?

JVG- It shouldn't change a thing if they win or lose, anyone thinking they can't win this series is mistaken.

Yaos' injury took them out of championship contention, he thinks the WC is not as good as people made it out to be ...4 bad teams...2 mediocre teams...and 3 teams from the top that have slipped noticeably...San Antonio, Dallas and Phoenix have slipped.

Thinks that going forward, if you look at the Rockets, he loved what they did with Scola and Landry and they need to sign him at a reasonable number, thinks getting BJax was the most underated trade at the Trade deadline and protected them if Rafer shot bad or had an injury.

Says, Yao is an extremely hard worker...and can do no more to be healthy, his lower body has betrayed him...one freak injury and a couple other stress fracturs....the Rockets need to think what they can do different to minimize the stress on his body.....goes back to work outs in the summer, how much practice time he needs and before practice....thinks it all should be monitored and changed if necessary to maximize his game performance.

With Tmac - thinks they did good with him this year......thinks that next year they have a chance to play for it all next year....

Keep the core together, because the best teams are coming back to the pack, and set your sights on LA, NO and the Spurs as they will be the Rockets toughest competition going forward.

JVG - what do you think of the Rockets toughness and work ethic?

JVG thinks because they work so hard they underestimate the talent on the team says Shane Battier is underestimated on how important he is to winning.

First team defender, knock down 3 point shooter, and can't believe that some fans still think the Rockets would be better with Gay over Battier (you listening Gater?)...says Battier knows how to fit in, knows how to win, knows how to prepare.......and is a major reason for the teams success.

Scola - 18 and 12 vs the Utah Jazz.....that guy is a really good player...are you kidding me those numbers against the Jazz....loves what Morey has done.....and thinks if they can add a couple of pieces this summer (That is called tweaking Rhester)....they don't even have to be major upgrades...just minor and they can really compete for it all.

Thinks Adelman has done a great job and especially how he dealt with Tmac about the missed rebound on the FT...

Thinks the Rockets are VERY well positioned going forward.

The end...

DD

16. LFE171

LFE171 Member

hahaha, "switch rudy gay and battier on their teams, and i GUARANTEE you, battier's memphis wuold win 5 more wins, and Rudy gay would have the rockets lose 5 more"

wow...5 games woulda been one and done for us for playoffs. :eek:

17. DaDakota

Which part?

:D

DD

18. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

its true...5 or 6 games dont seem like much but hey its huge. we were two loses away from drafting roy.

19. t_mac1

wow i never thought of that but JVG is right.

a lot of west teams are getting worse technically. lakers are the only team that can improve next yr with bynum back.

if we have yao, i think hornets are beatable.
    spurs will only get older and they are becoming more of tony parker's team with each game.

utah, suns, nuggets... are not at our level if we're fully healthy.

if we keep our core, and just add another shooter (back up for tmac) and maybe a backup for yao if deke retires, we'll be fine.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks DD.