1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice Clarence Thomas has secretly accepted luxury trips from a major Republican donors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Meth dealers, sex predators and lot lizards usually. It’s like the white trash version of the car wash in the hood.

Andre0087, Amiga and astros123 like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

U.S. Code § 7353,

“Except as permitted by subsection (b), no Member of Congress or officer or employee of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch shall solicit or accept anything of value from a person […] whose interests may be substantially affected by the performance or nonperformance of the individual’s official duties.”

This was not a gift.

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. astros123

astros123 Member

Huh? How was it not. The billionaire had many cases argued in the Supreme Court

4. astros123

astros123 Member

How much do you wanna bet this merger which the FTC rightfully blocked will end up at the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court is corrupt as **** and people downplaying Thomas corruption are naive.

I hope the Supreme Court doesn't limit the ftc powers. That's the ultimate dream of right wing scum like Thomas nd billionaires. Unchecked capitalism where Americans get ****ed while people argue about trans rights.

Corporate consolidation is the #1 issue with America. Not trans rights what @AroundTheWorld wants you to believe.

JayGoogle, Ubiquitin and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How was it not a gift? Thomas violated disclosure laws but he can accept gifts, he just has to report them. The law you cited says that you can't let the gift affect your decisions

Ubiquitin likes this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Noticed that it says conflicting interests.

Look, try this experiment out. Go speed past a cop. When he pulls you over, tell them you want to give them a luxury vacation as a "gift" - then you can argue this with the judge.

glynch, No Worries and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Simple question. Has Thomas ruled on a case involving Crow? Where are the conflicting interests?

9. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

The personal hospitality gift reporting exemption applies only to food,
    lodging, or entertainment and is intended to cover such gifts of a personal,
    non-business nature. Therefore, the reporting exemption does not include:

• gifts other than food, lodging or entertainment, such as transportation that
    substitutes for commercial transportation

The plane trips are not covered. Especially since Crow was not even on some of the flights.

astros123 likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yes! He's ruled on many cases that align with Crow's interest. So that is a significant problem of ethics. Those rulings need to all be thrown out.

gatsby, dobro1229, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What cases?

They are both conservatives so you're gonna have to be specific

#111 pgabriel, Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't have a problem if Thomas is impeached for not reporting the gifts, for the third time.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I generally agree with your posts in this thread. I think it's fair to say he's probably not a realiable narrator of his own life and that he hates poor people, even though he grew up poor. He's like the opposite of Sotomayor, and those are the only two justices that grew up poor. But I doubt that any of this is enough to 1) force him to resign (partially because he thinks too highly of himself) and 2) gets him impeached/and or removed because of modern Congress polarization.

I also tend to agree that due to his track record, it's not like he's getting obviously influenced by this. It's bad appearances, but he always has ruled for the rich and always ruled for a literal interpretation of the Constitution and unreliably picked and chose historical analysis.

Edit: Decades ago, Justice Abe Fortas got paid very small amounts for speaking engagements and was forced to resign by Nixon because of that. Abe Fortas was very progressive and on the way to helping the court make "poor people" a protected class along with women and people of color. It would have dramatically altered the types of laws Congress and states could pass the last 50 years...well, maybe temporarily. Nowadays what Abe Fortas did is considered normal.

red, Invisible Fan, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

We can only dream then wake up still in the same simulation...

astros123 likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Uncle Thomas is one of those self hating negros Malcolm X spoke about not so long ago...I'll give him a pass until Monday, it is the holy week after all. I need to stay away from political nonsense and get ready for the family coming thru. Bookmarked...

Reeko and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Both being conservatives is what is problematic.

Harlen Crow's "gifts" to Thomas far exceed a million dollars in value. he has also funded Thomas's wife political organization, one which she drew $120k salary. If that doesn't seem improper to you, what about the fact that the Supreme Court has ruled on many real estate decisions that have benefited Harlen Crow. You can find these out if you really want to.

Crow sits on the board of many conservative organizations - organizations that lobby hard for judicial reform and rulings - things Thomas is well aware of. It's a massive conflict of interest, and pretty much would be seen as massive corruption in any country in the world.

Reeko and astros123 like this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not making any accusations. You are. Name one freaking decision or stop making the accusations.

Edit: I don't mean to be confrontational but when someone does something like make an accusation then is challenged then responds with look it up that's extra weak. I'll save you time, googling supreme court real decisions won't be much help

#117 pgabriel, Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Biases and political affiliations will always be a problem. I’m going to get laffed at but Chatgpt would be a better solution.

solved a discussion argument my cousin and I were having for an hr . We both trusted it like the oracle rhougn

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So you are saying even if I provide the specific real estate decisions that benefited Crow, that won't help much?

That it sounds like you are basically saying nothing will change your mind?

I mean the decisions have received major press - you have to be living under a rock to not know the SCOTUS overturned Roe v Wade, a position that Crow strongly wanted. So that's a major conflict of interest right there.

Citizen's United in 2011, Crow sat on the board of political organizations that directly benefited from this decision, and both were involved in fundraising for a museum that would feature Clarence Thomas.

And in Alabama Association of Realtors v. Department of Health and Human Services, Thomas voted to shoot down the eviction moratorium to stop spread COVID - a decision that directly benefited Crow and his company.

Of course you have already stated nothing will change your mind, but hopefully others can see that yeah, there is a big ethics problem here. This is Thomas's 3rd ethics controversy, and the 2nd where he has clearly ran afoul - so he can't plead ignorance this time. he knew what he was doing, he knew the rules because he had to deal with all this in 2011. He should be removed and disbarred.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You are posting innuendo. What does overturning Roe v Wade have to do with Crow? That is about Thomas's political beliefs. Same with Citizens United. Are you saying Thomas's personal beliefs aren't why he made these decisions?

Even in the Alabama Realtors case, yes that directly affects Crow but that decision falls in line with Thomas's political beliefs. Do you disagree that the decisions are in line with his beliefs?

Why did the other conservative justices rule with Thomas?

#120 pgabriel, Apr 8, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023