1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice Clarence Thomas has secretly accepted luxury trips from a major Republican donors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The Supreme Court is arguably the most powerful government body in the US, yet it is also the most unaccountable. The Court needs reform to remove outside influence and hold justices accountable to the highest ethical standards. On the incentive side, the Justices should be paid more per year to minimize the potential influence of money on their decisions.

astros123 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

“I don’t have any problem with going to Europe, but I prefer the United States, and I prefer seeing the regular parts of the United States. I prefer the RV parks. I prefer the Walmart parking lots to the beaches and things like that. There’s something normal to me about it. I come from regular stock, and I prefer that — I prefer being around that.”

- Clarence Thomas on how he's normal stock and like being around normal stock.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/04/clarence-thomas-harlan-crow-supreme-court-ethics.html
    Thomas made these statements in a documentary financed in part by Crow, the very man who flies him around the world to exclusive resorts and other luxury venues. This statement also reveals that Thomas’s public statements that are meant as signals about his integrity and potential for corruption can’t be taken at face value.

ROCKSS, astros123 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The people at Walmart parking lots prefer the beaches. It really shows how out of touch the dude is.

ROCKSS, Nook, astros123 and 1 other person like this.
  4. fchowd0311

You know maybe he enjoys those Walmart parking lots more because he can visually see the tangible effects on society his court decisions have made in increasing wealth inequality.

Maybe he enjoys witnessing his body of work in action. Some people are proud of things they work on.

subtomic and B-Bob like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. Thomas is a liar and was covering up his lavish trips.

astros123 likes this.
  6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Once you accept the fact that political appointees are just politicians themselves, none of this is either surprising or upsetting.

dmoneybangbang and Ubiquitin like this.
  7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Didn't people already know this about him? Didn't he sexual harass his law clerk who then passed a polygraph? Didn't he claim his relatives were addicted to welfare when it was actually very temporary situation due to a death of a parent while the sister became guardian while in school or something?

ROCKSS, Nook, AleksandarN and 4 others like this.
  8. fchowd0311

It should be upsetting but not surprising.

astros123 likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

Yes he is a genuine piece of shi t.

No Worries, ROCKSS, astros123 and 2 others like this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The whole court needs to be purged and completely rebuilt.

It's lost its credibility.

astros123 likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Except for Anita, I didn’t. Not all of us lives in conlaw land :).

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

it takes decades of cynicism to become as jaded as I am. I’m sure I’m well beyond serving any useful purpose.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What bribe did he take for a decision? That's a long way from not reporting gifts

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you get free luxury trips from conservative activists groups, you've violated the foundation of ethics as a judge. The very fact that it raises questions shows he is unfit to be a judge. You very well know that if a Democrat judge "failed to report gifts" you'd be screaming bloody murder.

15. dmoneybangbang

Can we at least agree that it's not a good look for someone as important as a Supreme Court justice?

No Worries and B-Bob like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Who just hangs out in a Walmart parking lot like they’re sightseeing or something? He should’ve made up a normal sounding lie

Amiga, ROCKSS and astros123 like this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What bribe did he take for a decision? That's a long way from not reporting gifts
    I'm not a Republican. I don't give a **** if he is impeached or not. I'm asking is there evidence of taking a bribe on a case.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Definitely

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

20. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, he has always been like this. He never should have been a SCOTUS Justice. He has very little to offer in general.