1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just once I would like to see Yao fight.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RiceDaddy7, Apr 10, 2007.

1. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

In the NBA, a shove is a fight. Look at Ben Wallace and Ron Artest, the worst brawl in recent memory. That was a shove fest.

There's an inner badass in Yao that keeps getting contained by his upbringing. Being Chinese myself I know a little about how Chinese people think. Retailiation is not a part of Chinese culture and discouraged but often times to a fault, especially if on American soil where the culture here is about standing up for yourself. It would make him elite both in knowing its okay to get mad ( the guy wouldn't even dunk at first ) and also to, as a poster here said, " train " the refs to call more fouls in Yao's favor. Yao is supposed to average 35 ppg given all the free throws he's owed and all the times he could've just pushed people aside and dunk it in. His game is still too passive. It's all psychological.

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

lol. anyone who wishes to see yao in a fight is an idiot. he would get his ass kicked by any player of decent swingman size with average athleticism. he's just too slow for a fistfight. i would prefer he do his damage underneath the basket.

3. wgray

wgray Member

man the game is not abought that.

4. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

And as a semi-related side story that you may or may not find related at all ( I don't care ):

As a kid, I used to get messed with a lot in school because I let people do it. One day, I snapped and I fought back. My Chinese parents gave me hell because they expected me to continue to get beat up, take it, and allow the principle to somehow finally accept the fact that certain kids were beating me up. After that day, none of these bullies tried to start sh_t with me again. I'm not big or paricularly tough by any means, but it made me feel a level of self-respect. It's different than going and picking fights. It's standing up to people who mess with you, especially if the authorities aren't doing anything to protect you.

And no, I'm not from the hood.

5. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Member

6. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Yao won't fight, nor should he. He should do what Shaq does: take it out on the basket.

Anyway, given the disproportionality of Yao's body, if he had to fight, he should do it the southeast Asian way, with his legs. One of those trunks at high velocity would pretty much snap Collison's neck like a twig.

8. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

It's also not about Collison and people like him doing it is whatever they want thinking they can do it whenever they can. If everyone played civil, it will be civil. If not, the lions got to let the rest of jungle know they're the lions.

9. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Shaq would've clocked Collison last night. If not a punch, than a shove or a stare. Hell, Yao didn't even make eye-contact. That's not right. He should've at least gave Collison a stare the way Jordan used to give guys who hacked him the stare.

Also, I agree with everyone who said Yao would probably be a mediocre fighter. But this isn't about that. It's about not letting things go.

10. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Member

11. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I read his book, but more importantly I remember Hakeem well. He man-slapped McDyess right in the face just for a dirty rebound on McDyess. there were others, but don't remember the exact players...probably Oakley was one of them. Hakeem was peaceful and disciplined, true, but he sure as hell didn't step out of the way when it came to defending himself.

Would he have send Collison a message after last night? You bet he would.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

I'm happy Yao didn't fight last night and possibly cost us a shot at HCA. But one day he is going to have to stop being a wuss and stand up for himself. Your SG should not have to stand up for you. Your PG (Francis back in the day) should not have to stand up for you. There is nothing wrong with defending yourself, and I tire of watching folks PUNK Yao and I'm scared he will get injured one day. All he has to do is defend himself 1-2 times and folks will quit testing him.

Hell, my father calls him MEOW half the time because he will let anyone slap him around.

#92 Icehouse, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  13. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

I would like to see Yao put some KungFu stuff on those dirty players. No it is not worth it he can get his frustration out by dunking on them.

14. Kindger

Kindger Member

Well I'm just glad that you are not Yao Ming and I liked his 8 straight points more than anything else that he could have done. The message Yao sent out is very clear - don't make me mad otherwise your team has to pay.

Of cause based on your personal experience you have different opinion on this matter but so do I and other posters, so take care and go Rockets!

15. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

See that's what I'm talking about...why does he have to be made mad to make a team pay? Why can't he be like that every game start to finish? He's too laid-back. He needs to develop a Jordan-esque killer instinct.

16. Yetti

Yetti Member

Like a lot of American Men you just don't get it , do you?
    God made male humans with a full range with different levels of ability of intelligence, emotions, hormones, physical, social upbring and respect.
    Fighting another shows disrespect for your brother and is a sin againts your neighbor.
    For many, if Yao Ming started to get violent he would immediately loose all the respect which he has built up through his respect of all his brothers and sisters. :p

17. sbyang

sbyang Member

I would like to see Yao do a phantom punch, like Shaq on Brad Miller back in the day. That would only draw a 1 game suspension and it'd send a message....

18. glynch

glynch Member

That is true, but Yao could kick Rafer's ass if he could catch the scrawny guy. :D

19. glynch

glynch Member

Or maybe he could accidentally elbow folks like Motumbo does.

20. glynch

glynch Member

Yao could get down on the ground and start thrashing his legs around till the other guys got tired of jumping and fell into the threshing machine.