1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just got laid off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gwatson86, Apr 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I got to work this morning to find my boss waiting for me with a none-too-convincing "I hate to do this, but we have to let you go" speech. I got one week's severance and an offer to finish out the day if I wanted. Ha. I hear studies show there's also less chance of an incident if they do it at the end of the week, but at least they didn't just stop paying me until it just worked itself out.

It's amazing how much things can change in two months. I went from a gainfully employed, law-abiding citizen in a long-term relationship to single, unemployed, and facing trumped-up charges for a drunken mistake made over the course of about 5 minutes. From financially stable to "I better start cancelling my cable service just in time for the playoffs to pay my lawyer fees" in just 8 short weeks.

I know half of this is my own fault, but with everything else going on in my life right now, this is all pretty tough to swallow. If anyone has any advice (or job leads for a chump without a degree), it's appreciated. And to anyone still trying to ride out the economic storm, good luck.

2 people like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am sorry dude.....keep your chin up, things will turn around, and usually for the better.

DD

1 person likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

So sorry to hear this.

What sort of work are you looking for?

4. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

sorry to hear bro. hang in there! :)

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have a friend in that got informed a couple weeks ago. I was networking around for some leads for him. One of my networking folks told me that Insurance companies are always hiring claims adjusters and are still hiring. I'm not sure if you need a degree or not, but its something you can look into if you were interested.

Also, maybe you can use this as an opportunity to go to school and get some more education. Perhaps you can look around for some student loan opportunities.

Edit: I just thought about something else. My brother in law lives down in the Victoria area. He was saying that just a couple of months ago, several of the plants in the area down there were desperate for workers. They were offering wages in the $25/hour range with benefits for people right out of high school. I have no clue what company/plants, but if they are as desperate for workers as they apparently are, maybe that's something to look into.

6. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I gave you some rep points to brighten your day.

Sorry thing have not gone your way lately.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It stories like this that make me thankful I even have a job. Sure I don't get paid what I want but at least I get paid. Hopefully it won't last long for you. Good luck!

8. gwatson86

Anything, really. I'm thinking very hard about going back to school in some form in the fall, so I really need whatever I can find to pay my bills until then. Problem is, I don't really have a specialty to speak of and kind of just lucked into the job I had. So I don't even know where to begin.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what kind of work have you done? what was this job?

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Dude...that sucks! You just have to keep it in your head that things will work out. Really sh!tty situations will make you appreciate your life so much more once you get another job and get the legal stuff worked out. Just keep your head up...and by all means, come over to our place to watch the playoffs - no one should have to go through that!

1 person likes this.
  11. Fatty FatBastard

Just bartend. Those jobs are plentiful. Let me know where you get hired.

12. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Ouch...I don't know what it is, probably related to the fact that I'm going to be job hunting soon, but I die a little bit inside every time I hear about someone getting dicked over by this economy. I hope you bounce back.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Id get some loans and go to school if I were you...the economy sucks right now anyways and you can never get enough education. It will eventually lead to better pay and better job security.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

That sucks man... Maybe you can tell your boss it was my fault... ha.. but all jokes aside, that really sucks. I've never experienced it before, but then again I'm only working part-time. I hope you're doing well right now, and I am confident you'll find a good job soon enough. Good luck! :D

15. TheBigAristotle

Ay yi yi yi. MY blood would have drained from my face upon hearing that lame layoff speech :\. I'm sorry to hear it happened bro. Judging by your nick, you're still fairly young right? You could definitely go back to school at age 22/23 and turn things around that way.

Whatever you do... hang in there man.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

That sucks bro, you seem like a swell guy.

My advice would be go back to school asap. Get a part time job to make ends meet, but go back to school. Now is a great time to do it.

17. gwatson86

I was pretty much in charge of inventory for a production facility. Deducting individual components, receiving completed products and keeping track of everything in between. I did small amounts of other things as well (scheduling production, expediting orders, other stuff), but the inventory was my main focus. Before that, I was a shift supervisor at an ice skating rink... mostly managing staff and handling the day-to-day operations of the place, maintaining the ice surface, etc. That's about the extent of my work history, unless you count lifeguarding.

18. Asian Sensation

I would be livid if they made me get up for work and the first thing they do is lay me off. What kinda crap is that? :mad:

Anyways, stay positive!

19. gwatson86

It could be worse. At least I got paid for today. Someone else that works there that heard about it yesterday said that most everyone else isn't getting canned until the end of the day.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

About 30 minutes after reading this thread my cousin called and he got laid off today too.