1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just got a ps3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCorn, Nov 25, 2012.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Decided to get one since I wanted a 3d blue ray player and the price was about the same. I haven't really played video games in a long time, what would ya'll recommend me getting for it.

So far I have Skyrim. Morrowind was my favorite game on Xbox many years ago.

2. RedNation

RedNation Member

Uncharted 1, 2, and 3. If you are just gonna pick one of them, play Uncharted 2. Probably the best game on the ps3.

Also check out Heavy Rain, Mass Effect 2/3, Batman Arkham Asylum

3. percicles

percicles Member

Borderlands 2 is tons of fun alone and multi player.

4. redefined

redefined Member

I was in the same boat. I spent 100 on a Panasonic 3d blu ray player, but a ps3 for 100 more was a no brainer.

I picked up god of war and little big planet. So far I love it, but I still prefer gaming on my Xbox.

5. Poloshirtbandit

+1 on Uncharted 2.

If you're into baseball check out MLB the Show. Maybe give Heavy Rain a rental, it's a great game but not for everyone.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Member

NBA 2K13
    God Of War series

If you are into shooters
    COD BO2
    Killzone 2&3
    Resistance 1,2,&3
    All the Uncharted's

7. mateo

mateo Member

If you have kids around and want to play something in their vicinity without being scolded by the wife...the Ratchet and Clank games are awesome.

But Uncharted is epic, esp Uncharted 2. Its seriously better than most movies that came out that year.

Little Big Planet 1 is so much fun. 2 is good too, esp multiplayer.

I really liked Bioshock also.

8. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Congrats on the PS3. I really like Borderlands 1 & 2. It's a FPS RPG looting game. Bazillions of guns, huge bosses, millions of enemies, and endless of fun.

I also recommend Batman arkham asylum and arkham city. I've only played arkham asylum but it is one of the best games I've ever played. I'm definitely planning to get arkham city sometime in the future and I know for a fact it's gonna be even better. That's just my opinion though.

Have fun!

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Red Dead Redemption. LA Noire. And like others have said, the uncharted and god of war series. Killzone series.

10. dback816

dback816 Member

Demon Souls and Dark Souls if you're into Action RPGs

11. chonox

chonox Member

There are many great games, depends what genre you are most into. For a start though and a relatively low investment go google 'game of the year' for various genres (your preference) of games over the past years. You will find that games only a few years old will be heavily discounted or in bargain bins yet are still great fun to play.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The Uncharted series (1, 2, and 3 all PS3 exclusive) is one of the best series.

MLB The Show (PS3 exclusive) is easily the best baseball series on any console.

Heavy Rain (PS3 exclusive) has a very interesting concept and the story is excellent. Like someone said, though, it's not for everyone.

The Killzone series (PS3 exclusive) is a really good FPS series. The graphics are amazing.

My favorite series, though, is Mass Effect. It's a third-person shooter with RPG elements. The trilogy comes out as a single pack for the PS3 on December 4. There are three games on there and it will be the price of a single game ($60).

This will also be the first time Mass Effect 1 will be released for the PS3 (it was originally a 360 only game)

13. Uprising

Uprising Member

Kill zone 2 and 3.

Grand turismo 5.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I planned on checking out Borderlands since it's the same devs as TES. If anyone plays stuff online let me know what game and I'll make a PSN once I get back from Dallas Friday.

15. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

Book of Spells if you have kids.

16. Chamillionaire

Battlefield bad company 2 is cheap and helluva game. I promise you won't regret buying it. The best FPS game IMO.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Should have waited for the PS4 man...I hear dat shiz is gon be off da chain!

18. AtheistPreacher

All depends on what kinds of games you like.

Personally I find Uncharted boring. Too linear, not enough freedom, gameplay not interesting enough. But a lot of other folks really like it. It's got fun story and characters, awesome dialogue, awesome set pieces.

If you liked Elder Scrolls and want to try an open-world RPG with more interesting combat, you can try Dragon's Dogma. I did a big write-up on it in this thread (second page).

There's also Dark Souls, which some would say is the best game of its generation (myself included) -- but you have to like hard games, as well as lots of exploration without many hints as to where you should go and what you should be doing. Here's a good video review.

I would also look into Red Dead Redemption and Borderlands 2.

Those are probably my top recommendations.

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

Borderlands isn't by the same devs that make the TES games (Gearbox vs Bethesda). Shouldn't dissuade you from checking it out though. :)

BTW, go ahead and sign up for PS+ ($50/yr IIRC). I was skeptical of it at first, but it really pays for itself. Lots of free games you can get (Borderlands was available at one point, not sure if it is anymore), especially if you have/end up getting a Vita too. Lots of other benefits too.

20. Kam

Kam Member

Red dead redemption is one of my favorites. Compelling storyline. It made me give a damn about the characters.

Never got into la noire. I'm going to try and play it again later.