1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just finished Breaking Bad for the first time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Mar 30, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you actually think that there is no hope for you.

We get less of Mike and nothing is better with less Mike.

Also the lead up to Hank finding out who Walt actually is a vital part of the show.

Not the best of the seasons but vital to complete the story.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Other than the expansion of Ehrmantraut as a character and the culmination of the cat-and-mouse game between Walter and Hank, season 5 felt like a big letdown to me. Breaking Bad's hallmark is the lack of true heroes and the presence of nuanced, compelling villains. Season 5 basically took a huge dump on that. Neo-nazis, boo! Uptight business magnate, boo!

The acting is still top notch, but the story just went on too long. I want to live in a world where we're left wondering 1) did Walt get caught? and 2) did he poison the kid? If the story stopped there it would have been the absolute perfect show. But instead they pushed too far to create a neat and tidy conclusion.

TheJuice likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I will agree that they tried to tie up too much but what happened to Walt because of Hank had to happen for the show have any real weight.

There were no real heroes at the end and Neo Nazis are big in the Meth world, they were ignored far too long IMO.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Season 5 is a mixed bag. I wish it were handled differently, but the desire to wrap everything up always causes issues.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

1. Did it with a minor character - Saul Goodman.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They way they finished wasn't perfect, but the fact that they got out of most of the corners they drew themselves in made the series brilliant.

Concluding a series is super difficult. Way different than making it addictive like a soap because fans of the series want something natural and true from the beginning and it's hard to not make anything cliche, predictable or tacked on.

They didn't settle much for cheap gimmicks like it was all a dream. I think the main gripe was that Walt the villain Got Away With It, but we all knew he had cancer and most people were okay with him dying with dignity. Rigging that trap was pure WW to turn back the tide.

I personally wanted to know what happened to Jessie. There's your ambiguity for you. They didn't even settle it with El Camino...odd.

marks0223, jo mama and boomboom like this.
  7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i get what youre saying, but i liked that they gave us the neat and tidy conclusion. most shows blow it, but BB seemed to be one of the few to pull it off. they didnt go sopranos or especially game of thrones. imo, it was a true "fan ending". they wrapped it up with a nice bow and gave us exactly what we wanted...no games or b.s. - just a nice clean ending.

i did think that the tone of season 5 was different than the rest of the show...there was something about it that felt off from the other seasons...but i think it played into how discombobulated everything was after hank was killed and walt went into hiding. everything was different from that point on.

to me the nazis were to walt what walt was to gus. someone you brought into your organization who blows it all up. the nazis represented how easily and quickly all your years of hard work and planning can get totally f*** up. and as far as gus is concerned, thats what walt was to him. in the end it was all for nothing b/c this person or group comes from out of nowhere and destroys it all.

marks0223 and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Marathon on AMC right now! Bringing back good memories

Uprising likes this.
  9. clos4life

clos4life Member

I've watched this entire show and while it has some great highs, overall, it's one of the most overrated shows in the history of television. It was slow as F and full of extremely boring everyday drama. I would say most episodes had 10 minutes worth of actual entertainment and the whole show was drawn out. I just don't understand how people can rate it so high other than perhaps they fantasize about being some white collar kingpin, which mind you, he was pathetically bad at.

franchise403 likes this.
  10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Gay? Not that…

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Someone’s going through withdrawals…

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Just watched the scene where Hector blew up Gus again. The bomb was plainly visible and clear as day. There is just no way Gus or his guy wouldn’t have seen it. I guess part of that was the guy working for Gus swept the area before looking for weapons, etc. but did not do so again right before when Gus arrived giving Walt the opportunity to set up the wheelchair bomb. It’s just all a little too convenient and I don’t buy it. This represents a real weak point in the series imo. It could have been better. I guess a pipe bomb mounted right on the right wheel is invisible to both Gus’s guy and Gus. I would have bought it if they were both blind.

#92 Surfguy, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    boomboom likes this.
  13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Gus likes to speak louder than bombs, ya know…

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

The Wire and GOT, even with the crap eight season, blow Breaking Bad outta the water. That's just by a wide margin. I can think of other shows I prefer. I'm not saying it doesn't have its high moments, but overall, it's just highly overrated. Walter White was the crappiest crime lord ever created. It shouldn't ever be in the conversation for top TV show of all time. Like I said, Breaking Bad is like a bad fantasy for white collar workers who fantasize about revenge on their coworkers and bosses while playing GTA5 and smoking weed on their basement while hiding from their wife and kids.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I feel your sentiment but to me Walter was more of a normal Joe going rogue than anything else. Pretty much a loser trope before that.

It was a pretty cool transformation, and you could see him sweating and master planning whom to blow up or kill next.

All the great minor characters, Pinkman, Gustavo, Hector, Hank, Meth Damon, Ricin woman, Tuco, Saul Goodman, the Twins, Don Eladio, Skylar, Mike Ehrentraut, his kid.......etc.

#95 daywalker02, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Lalo.

That is all.

RKREBORN and rhino17 like this.
  17. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Drawn out?

it had 5 total seasons for a show that’s unanimously regarded as a master piece and by some ad the GOAT. Stopping at 5 seasons, saying that right after 4 is telling that this wasn’t just a show… it was a story and the story was told. That’s the opposite of being drawn out

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

I repeat, slooooowwww as F. Show overrated. Watched the whole thing at 1.5 speed and even started doing multiple 10 second skips. Slowed it down at some of the great moments it had, but what a pathetic criminal lord. Give me truly great shows like The Wire over it any time of the day.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

GoT ?!

ok now we’re done. As a huge fan of ASOIAF That was a bastardization

jiggyfly likes this.