1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just curious why these clip has not been posted yet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat Au, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Pat Au

Pat Au Member

If it's been posted, please lock it

1997 NBA Playoffs Western Conference Semifinals Game 7
    Seattle@Houston

The NBC intro:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxnhOeaHs0M

The game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmT5VM4eZUE

Recap:
    Rockets' Glare Blinds Sonics in Game 7, 96-91
    By Amy Shipley

Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, May 18, 1997; Page D1

HOUSTON, May 17 — It took five extra days, two extra games and a heart-pounding finish, but the Houston Rockets today finally accomplished what they have been laboring to do since last Tuesday night: They earned a trip to the Western Conference finals.

With one second left in Houston's 96-91 victory over the Seattle Supersonics in Game 7 of this semifinal round, center Hakeem Olajuwon finished the day with a dunk, throwing his fist in the air joyfully as The Summit erupted in celebration.

Olajuwon's punctuation mark was appropriate, stamping an awesome effort by the Rockets' trio of superstars. Olajuwon, Charles Barkley and Clyde Drexler — all of whom were named to the NBA's top 50 all-time players earlier this season — combined for 66 points and 35 rebounds, personally thwarting the Sonics' effort to become the sixth team in NBA history to come back from a 3-1 deficit in a playoff series.

After the trio scored 35 of the Rockets' 41 second-half points to secure the victory, Houston flew to Salt Lake City to meet the Utah Jazz for Game 1 of the conference finals Monday night.

What a relief it was to Barkley, who had walked up to a podium Friday and said simply: "We will win the game." His proclamation made headlines, although Barkley insisted today his remarks were not a "guarantee" of victory.

"I didn't guarantee a win," said Barkley, who had 20 points and 14 rebounds. "I just said we would win Game 7. I don't guarantee anything but death and taxes and politicians are going to lie."

However you label Barkley's words, they were said with a purpose: The idea, Barkley said, was to help relax Houston point guard Matt Maloney, who had scored only six points in the previous two games. Maloney scored 15 today, including a three-pointer that gave Houston a six-point lead with 1 minute 17 seconds left.

Olajuwon scored 22 with 13 rebounds and Drexler scored 24 with 8 rebounds and 8 assists.

"The only reason I said that was to take the pressure of Matt," Barkley said. "I didn't want to read stories about how bad Matt Maloney was doing. I wanted to read stories about how I was guaranteeing a win — which I did not do."

The Sonics, down by as many as 14 in the fourth quarter, had a chance to tie the score with 16.3 seconds remaining, trailing, 94-91. Seattle tried to set up a shot for point guard Gary Payton, who scored 27, but he wasn't open. Instead, forward Shawn Kemp forced an off-balance shot with about 11 seconds left that missed. Drexler pitched the rebound to Olajuwon, who collected his game-ending dunk.

"It's not about heart," Kemp said. "It's just about wins and losses."

Barkley, who grabbed six big rebounds in the fourth quarter, was with the Phoenix Suns two years ago when they became the last team to lose a 3-1 lead in a playoff series, falling to eventual champion Houston in 1995. So it's understandable that Barkley tossed and turned until 4:30 a.m., then awoke at 6:30. He was so restless he went to a health club and did water aerobics at 7.

"You don't ever sleep before a Game 7," Barkley said.

After missing four layups in the game's first 3½ minutes, Barkley and the Rockets calmed down, but they couldn't dismiss the relentless Sonics. Payton had eight rebounds and seven assists to go with his team-high 27 points. Kemp added 21 points and 10 rebounds. Seattle, however, registered its worst shooting performance of the 1997 playoffs, hitting just 38.3 percent (31 of 81 field goals).

The Rockets had never defeated Seattle in a playoff series, losing five times before this one.

"I think it was just luck," said Payton. "If we would have won it would have been luck. These teams are so evenly matched."

Houston forward Kevin Willis, whose exchange with Kemp in Game 6 netted fines for both, took a shot at Payton, whose excellent defensive play has earned him the nickname "The Glove."

"All the taunting was over with and we won the game," he said. "Gary Payton can take the glove and put it in [Seattle Coach] George Karl's mouth."

Despite not having a chance to repeat as Western Conference champions, Karl showed far more diplomacy.

"I think the NBA champion is going to come from the Western Conference," Karl said. "I wish it could be us."

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

"Gary Payton can take the glove and put it in George Karl's mouth."
    - Kevin Willis

That was great.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Man, it was all downhill from there. :(

4. teknokid

teknokid Member

oh.. how i love NBA on NBC...

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Aaaah the last great Rockets win.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for some reason, people hate this team. though for us real fans, it was pure joy that we get revenge for seattle sweeping us.

plus we were on national tv alot. people forget that pre-chuck, we got zero air time.

thanks to that team, the last team that made to past the 1st round!

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IIRC, we could have closed them out in game 5 at home and didn't. To this day, I think not doing that cost us the Jazz series because the rest would have helped us steal a game in Utah.

Matt Maloney's 3 point shooting against Seattle in the first 4 games was unbelievable. It earned him that infamous contract during the summer. Too bad he was a complete basket case against the Jazz in the next round.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but it's hard for me to enjoy beating the Sonics because, from my perspective, our season was defined in the next round by John Stockton's shot in game 6.