1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Just around midnight]: RIP Bobby Keys

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Dec 2, 2014.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bobby Keys, longtime saxophonist for The Rolling Stones, has died. Michael Webb, keyboardist for Bobby Keys and the Suffering Bastards, confirmed Keys' death with the Scene, saying the legendary musician had been battling cirrhosis and passed away at his home in Franklin early this morning. He was 70 years old.

A Texas native who’d lived in Middle Tennessee since the early ’90s, in addition to his 40-plus-year tenure with The Rolling Stones, Keys appeared on legendary recordings by John Lennon, Joe Cocker, Barbra Streisand, B.B. King, Carly Simon, Lynyrd Skynyrd and others. More details to come.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashv...ling-stones-saxophonist-bobby-keys-dead-at-70

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/59K2kF6o9Tk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I saw him back in the mid-80's. There was a band out of Austin called The Tremors. They came to Houston to play backup for Ronny Lane, with Bobby Keys joining in on sax. This was at some bar in the Heights that used to be a bank (can't remember the name).

3. Buck Turgidson

Rockefellers

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sad news. Another titan of Texas is laid low.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

definitive killer solo at 2:50

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3fa4HUiFJ6c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bobby Keys: The Lost Rolling Stone Interview
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/bobby-keys-the-lost-rolling-stone-interview-20141202

Ehh. I've been smoking pot for over 50 years, and I never let a day go by unless I'm in jail. I am a devout pothead. I have been, will be, don't see a damn thing wrong with it except the cost. I used to buy this stuff for 90 bucks a kilo. That's over two pounds. And now, man, they're selling ounces in New York for about 500 bucks an ounce. Hydroponic grown… it's ridiculous. It's absurd. Legalize it, get the tax from it, the country's broke...

.....the first session I did with the Stones was an accident. I just happened to be wandering down the hallway of the same studio. I was there with Delaney & Bonnie & Friends and the Stones were there doing the overdubs on, what the hell was it... one of those early albums. One of those good ones. They were still on Decca at the time. What the hell was it... had a birthday cake on the front of it!.

Can you talk about how the "Brown Sugar" solo came together?

That came together at Keith and my birthday party in England. I guess that would've been 1970 of 1971. Originally "Brown Sugar" had a guitar solo, Mick Taylor put a guitar solo on it. In fact, some of the very early pressings came out with the guitar solo on it. But there was a birthday party with me and Keith and Eric Clapton and George Harrison and Ringo and Keith Moon, a whole bunch of other people. And we started to have a jam session. I don't remember exactly what the process was now, but we ended up playing "Brown Sugar." And I just played that solo on it. And Jimmy Miller, who was there that night, and Mick said, "Can you do that again?" I said, "Hell, I don't know what I did then, but if I did it once I can do it again." I think we made a date – we didn't do it the night of the party, but I came back in and did the solo. It was the first take.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J5e3zQn6Dr8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/5m6lymJy57E

#5 Dubious, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i also love his playing on 'rip this joint'...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NehZl_X3hjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pretty impressive pedigree...going on the road with buddy holly when he was like 14 or 15 to playing and recording with the stones. and probably the only one of them who could out-party keef.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"there was a birthday party with me and Keith and Eric Clapton and George Harrison and Ringo and Keith Moon, a whole bunch of other people."

that must've been a hell of a party.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was going to post the tenor solo in Waiting On A Friend - which I've always loved - but apparently that was someone else.

RIP anyway.

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

that was it!

10. Buck Turgidson

Just got word that Ian McLagan died today. This one hits me hard.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

he lived in manor for the last 15 years or so...i remember when his wife was killed in an auto accident like 10 years ago.

two stones sidemen go down within days of each other. these things happen in 3's...nicky hopkins better be careful for the next couple weeks!