1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just a hypothetical scenario

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mhenry8910, Jun 9, 2015.

1. mhenry8910

mhenry8910 Member

Considering we can build around a young harden and D-Mo, and win for years to come, i had thought up a possible scenario. Dwight is aging, and continues to have nominal health. His type of game is dependent on explosiveness, IE youth and health. He loses that every year he ages and every time he gets hurt. LMA is the type of finesse and touch player that can be great for a long time. His career can last (see tim duncan). Deandre jordan is very similar to dwight. He's also younger, and is currently holding the longest consecutive game started streak in the NBA. He is durable and is know to stay healthy. He is also from Houston. He'd be a good scheme fit because of the similarities to Dwight. What kind of cap space would we have if we traded Dwight? I'd day trade him and maybe a sign and trade w/ beverly or tjones, for their 4th pick and calderon to make it financially possible. trade calderon for ****ty picks to unload more space. Draft Mudiay, or if we're lucky, Russell. And before all this, get commitments from both LMA and Jordan. Maybe back end their contracts if theres not enough space fro 2 maxes, or just Guarantee huge raises with the cap going up next year and sign them to 1 year contracts. We would have a core of Jordan, Mudiay, LMA, and Friggin Harden. if this is possible, that sound like a 5-7 year dynasty. getting these commitments from those teams and these players are obviously hard, but i think a desperate team like NY might do that, as they'd have two stars and along with beverly and tjones and couldn't compete in the joke of a conference. sign a bunch of vets or use MLE or whatever to fill out the team. Capela and D-mo coming off the bench, etc. if Llull comes over along with Mudiay/Russell that hefties up the backcourt and gives Harden what he wants. Is this possible? i know the chances of this happening are more than bleak but it has to be looked at.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We will have to give up Harden to get the 4th pick. Teams at that spot are looking for a young superstar.

Also, neither Jordan nor LMA are as good as Dwight. Dwight owned Jordan.

3. mhenry8910

mhenry8910 Member

i really highly doubt that regarding the 4th pick. the draft is almost always a crapshoot after the first couple picks. even the first, look at bargnani. giving up dwight, beverly, and jones as well as even that 18th pick i think would be more than enough to move up.

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

I think I only followed about half of this post. But from the parts that I did get, it sounded incredibly unrealistic.

Yes. But DJ+LMA>Dwight? Why not just get both? And keep Harden?

5. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Hard to read that wall of text.

Dwight isn't our problem. He looked back to his dominant form in the playoffs when he wasn't posting up. We need a point guard who can create his own shot and a lights out shooter. We are right there.

6. TheBeard

TheBeard Member

d-mo cant rebound and is a liability on defense, he's not a player you want to build around.

7. mhenry8910

mhenry8910 Member

I'm talking about an opportunity to build a dynasty. a team trio of jordan, LMA, and harden would last for a long time and complement each other. add llull and a potential stud in Mudiay to that mix, with capela and Dmo off the bench you're looking at the probably the best team on paper in the NBA.

8. mhenry8910

mhenry8910 Member

I'm aware that this would be an insane mix up and sounds like nothing really done before, but besides the trade with NY for their pick, because i simply think thats a one sided trade in favor of the knicks and they would certainly oblige in my opinion. Why can't this work financially? I'm just not clear on the numbers. You have to believe that Jordan, LMA, and Harden would be all over the idea of this, so its possible to secure commitments from them. But how much would we offer them? can someone just imagine with me for a second?

9. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Why would a bad team want a past his prime superstar and role players when they are trying to build for the future?

10. malakas

malakas Member

They would trade the 4 for dwight. They promised melo that they will contend soon to get him to sign. Knicks and Lakers..always looking to take shortcuts.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

We're so close, outside of getting lebron or Kd it would be a mistake to break up the team. The rockets have a good shot as any to acquire Kd next season and resign dwight with bird rights. Harden and Morey no something we don't I can guarantee that, and this offseason Imo will tell a lot about our chances of getting durant. Keep the team intact and we got a shot search for a Allstar max money he ain't coming and the org already would no.

12. mhenry8910

mhenry8910 Member

I'm pretty sure his agent just basically said he would only leave OKC for Washington.

13. mhenry8910

mhenry8910 Member

this really is true. These teams can't stand a rebuilding process. Melo is getting old. and if they did this trade they really would be a solid team in the East. dwight, melo, hardaway, beverly, jones and that 18th pick aint a bad squad

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

And health.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The likelihood of trading Dwight is less than 0.0001%.

But if they do, a trade involving the Knicks makes too much sense. Dwight and his agent are relatively happy. The Knicks are happy. The Rockets find a trade partner that helps them get back what they need.

But I wouldn't suspect they'd want the #4 pick... unless the guy that is left on the board DM has ranked so far and away above anyone else - eg. if it was an Anthony Davis caliber player... which it won't be.

So a 3 team trade where the Knicks get Dwight, some team gets the #4 pick, and the Rockets get something.

I only see three even remotely possible scenarios there.
    1. Rockets end up with DeMarcus Cousins
    2. Rockets end up with Nikola Vucevic
    3. Rockets end up with Ty Lawson

Cousins you get value.

Vucevic you'd want to also create cap space as part of the trade. And unlikely to happen... Magic just extended him last offseason and he'll probably be underpaid. They likely want to keep him. Magic don't want to trade him and he is a downgrade for the Rockets... you'd have to create enough cap space with the move to outright get a guy like LMA or Love

Lawson you'd also do only if you create enough capspace to get a guy like LMA.

So Rockets still probably wouldn't do #2/#3 because they are so dependent on other moves you'd have to make that might not come to fruition.

Rockets would do #1... but there is basically no chance of it happening. And even if it did, it should be noted that you are downgrading defensively, which is a risk.

16. dje243

dje243 Member

Yes on rebounding. No on Defense. Definitely has key piece potential.

17. tnopham

tnopham Member

I pray you never become a GM.

Just made it to the conference finals. We didn't lose because of Dwight but we did get that far because of him.

Until he is the sole reason we CONTINUALLY lose he will not be traded.