1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jussie Smollett attack

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's unknown at this point. If he did send the letter to himself it would be incredibly stupid (presumably to get more press around himself as a victim) but it's unknown at this point.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think SCOTUS will make sure that this has no effect on Twitter or Facebook, this is a very pro-business SCOTUS. In the end, this is regulation.

Well it's my point that Twitter and Facebook are not the only places one can spread their message. You can still take to the streets and do so...and by doing so you can get covered by CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc etc. Look at Ch'ville. Their message would have been banned by Twitter and Facebook but they got their message out there. I just don't think that these are the only platforms to get your message out there and just like a private university banning a speaker...people will just have to choose another platform.

I don't think we have a right to biggest platforms to spread our message in the end. I think that's a privilege given by those who own those platforms...but even if no one wants you to use their platforms you can still gather like-minded people on the internet and protest.

jcf likes this.
  4. body slam

body slam Member

CBS This Morning had something about a magazine found at the brothers place that may be linked to the original letter.

5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The big takeaway from all this?

Racism in America....so bad it needs to be invented and fabricated out of whole cloth:

cml750 and MojoMan like this.
  6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

You don't prove that something "wasn't" a crime. The burden of proof is to prove that there WAS a crime.

gatsby, cml750, King1 and 2 others like this.
  7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The elephant in the room for media malfeasance discussions is that many reporters are simply not smart. They fall for hoaxes easily. Over and over and over again They are obviously not well read. That this is combined with a completely unwarranted arrogance compounds the problem.

— Mollie (@MZHemingway) February 17, 2019

cml750 likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No, that's in terms of whether someone is guilt or not. You are accusing the guy of faking a letter (which I believe would be a crime given he reported it to the police). So you can twist it however you want, but the the current claim is that someone sent him a threatening letter and before you accuse him of lying why not let things play out and wait for more information?

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You mean like child sex rings in the non-existent basement of a pizza restaurant?

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yes, readers of The Federalist are known for being very deep thinkers.

No Worries likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, to be fair, it's known for having readers who think they are deep thinkers for holding the Federalist up as equal to or superior to opinion pieces in the NYT, the Atlantic, etc.

No Worries likes this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Because it is a sign of how smart you are to attack the messenger when you know you have no compelling response to the message.

Sure, I will be looking to you guys for guidance about who is smart and who isn't. {Sarcasm}

cml750 and dachuda86 like this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

There are many reasons for it. Such as for fame and sympathy. Also there are trolls who are white leftists who pretend to be Trump supporters and target minorities with hate to trick them into staying under their influence. Talk about sick.

No I am not saying there are no racists who support Trump... but it is largely a narrative that is being blown out of proportion to keep minorities scared and under the thumb of the dems.

cml750 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

And here is the true goal. Let's use one example of someone faking racism to excuse racism exists at all.

This is how conservatives think.

Oh blacks are all lying about racism
    Women are lying about sexual assault
    Gays are lying about homophobia

You just unwittingly shared the whole right wing agenda - to put people down and make white supreme.

No Worries likes this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Not all blacks, not all women, and not all gays need to lie about those things, and the ones that do, do it for political reasons and hurt the cause of the real victims in this world. No one here is saying what you say in your condemnation and damning words, and quite frankly you are over playing your hand here. Well, you have a pair of twos, so I don't know why you're still in this conversation mate. What is your malfunction that you think people who disagree with you are all racists? I suggest you seek help to deal with this weird anxiety disorder or cut back on CNN.

cml750, King1 and droxford like this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I agree. I had this weird feeling there was something fishy about his story just by the way he calmly spoke about it. Just a gut instinct, but something seemed off. The whole story was a little odd about the chemical poured on him as well. No facial burns. I sure hope they catch the sick culprits if the story is true, but also think if he made it up he is no better than those who commit these kind of sick attacks and should get the same punishment. Either way, I hope they get some real evidence to get to the real truth.

dachuda86 likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

another day another data point

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]

cml750 and dachuda86 like this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, so much for me trying to have fun around here, but what was "intolerant" about my post? Is it inaccurate to say (yourself aside or yourself included) that many Federalist readers consider themselves more enlightened than those who do not read the Federalist?

I think that could apply to people who read the Daily Kos also. Should I worry about those people's feelings also?

Finally: have a sense of humor, please?

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

what, only right-thinking people read "real" commentary at the NYT or the Atlantic, everything else doesn't count? "Well, to be fair, it's known for having readers who think they are deep thinkers for holding the Federalist up as equal to or superior to opinion pieces in the NYT, the Atlantic, etc." Seems like your meaning was pretty clear.