1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[July 2019] Do you like the CP3 for Westbrook trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sajan, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

509 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No

164 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I can't believe 30% of you don't like the trade, SMH

CP sucks nowdays, if you factor his contract

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Agree. No idea if it works out. I think probably not.

But we brought in Paul to beat the Warriors. We failed and they broke up the team. He was a terrible contract since the gamble backfired so worst case itndoesnt work as we trade Russ for something much better later.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'm in this camp, but how devastating would Harden be if---don't laugh!---he moved off the ball a lot more than he does now, let Russ do the heavy lifting of breaking down the top of the defense off the dribble, and positioned himself to catch and shoot 3s? Or catch and back down guys in the post? Harden has crazy numbers when he's the focus of the defense; how much better will he be only having to beat one guy?

Damn, I'm talking myself into this.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh he has talent. but its too bad his talent isn't exactly the fit the rockets need here lol.

what do the rockets highlight:
    1. efficiency
    2. perimeter shot making

two things wb is horrible at. wb needs a team that runs consistently, not the team that plays with the slowest pace in the league

Y2JT likes this.
  5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The Rockets would be significantly better if Harden actually did something when he doesn't have the ball. That isn't going to change though. He is who he is

Gray_Jay likes this.
  6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Ohhhh this! Fertitta needs to get rid of the new unis and put them in black. Everyone is going to love to hate the Rockets.

Hopefully because the Rockets still won a 'chip despite pissing the entire NBA and basketball media off.

Anyway we can get PatBev back?

EDIT: Or JJ Barea, somebody like that: I'm not picky. The 20/20 You Hate To See Them tour.

don grahamleone and Bengchu like this.
  7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Yeah. Russ in our system is HORRIBLE. Ironically Russ in MDA's actual offense would be incredible. Funny.

8. Homey the Clown

I like it because I'm desperate just like most fans here and the organization but there's an obvious level of risk associated with it. It doesn't matter how well these two know each other. We've all seen how Russ has the tendency of taking horrible shots and making bad decisions at the absolute worst moments.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

you comprehend really well

ksny15 likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well said, and so true. And he never would perform to his contract. At least with Westbrook there's a chance he performs to his contract. He had some runs in the playoffs when KD and Harden were still there.

One thing I like, a lot, is that Harden can definitely take the occasional quarter off.

One thing I hate, a lot, is Westbrook's defense.

BaselineFade, Gray_Jay and PWR like this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I gotta say I'm 60/40 in favor of the trade...

Health is the main sway... you gotta think WB is going to be more reliable...

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yes, but I'm still skeptical Westbrook makes us a contender. His game is incredibly flawed and last year he really fell off. But the CP3 contract is basically an albatross so turning it into a better player at a worse contract is certainly an upgrade while Harden is still in his prime. It's an all-in move for a team that is desperate to make an all-in move. Future be damned.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:eek::eek::eek:

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm super excited!!!

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We didn't sign Chris Paul to jack threes. We got him to carry the load when James is off the floor. WB will be better at that than Chris. He is better at driving. Rebounding, and argulably at assists, although not as good a passer. His ability to create is better than Paul at this point. His mid range jumper is deadly and he can get that at will whereas CP has lost the ability to create space. This is clearly and upgrade. However, our problem was not CP3 it was PF. We got better, but we didn't solve two problems: defensive rebounding and flexibility to improve other positions.

Hakeemtheking and Bengchu like this.
  16. Milosch

Milosch Member

Solid upgrade.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rockets have been the poster child of analytics but I see them go after analytics horrible players all the time. First Melo and now Westbrook (gotta retire the Westbrick moniker as he is a Rocket now).

I have mixed feelings about this trade and tbh I feel like it is more of a side grade so I don't know if I like or hate the trade. I have mixed feelings about this trade and tbh I feel like it is more of a side grade so I don't know if I like or hate the trade. I feel like the Rockets had a check for 10000 usd, but they exchanged it for a black box that could contain 20000 usd or 2000 usd. The potential is def there but the risk is much, much greater than what we have now. Ultimately I still clicked yes as I am giving the Rox FO the benefit of the doubt.

Pros:
    Westbrook is younger by 4 years
    Westbrook has a cheaper salary (iirc)
    The swaps are inconsequential as no way OKC has a better record than the Rox for the next decade
    Rox reafirm Harden is their man
    Westbrook fundamentally can be a great player if he is under control
    MDA ball is WB's style, fast frenetic and chaotic
    MDA isn't a good coach but WB is uncoachable to begin with so it doesn't matter

Cons:
    2024-2026 is the time Harden and WB turn into scrubs so giving those picks can bite us in the ass
    WB has a broken jumper
    Rox could have just put together the 2 biggest ballhogs in NBA history
    It's a signal we are going all in on ISO heavy offense

This is def a huge risk. If it blows up Morey can end up getting fired for this. OTH no guts no glory right? At least he did "something" which is what everybody wanted lol.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

you absolutely signed harden's other guard to be able to shoot. not someone who bricks at the worst 3 pt rate on a team that shoots the most 3s.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

What's not to like? I am a fan of CP3, but ... CP's trade value with his age and remaining salary is a negative and Wes's is a positive. That means, we would have to include assets trade away CP3 for any one of value, let alone a big talent in Wes. There you have it.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's gonna be interesting at least :D

don grahamleone likes this.