1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Julie Chen Reveals She had Surgery to Widen her Eyes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 12, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Julie Chen, host of Big Brother and The Talk, revealed that when she was starting her career out she had her eyes surgically widened to improve her career. Wondering what people, particularly Asians, think about that. Was it giving in to racism?

For me I never was a big Julie Chen fan and this somewhat confirms my view that she is a fairly shallow person who rather than have confidence in who she is in the face of societal standards took an easy way out. That said is doing something like this any different than getting breast implants or other cosmetic improvement?

http://wonderwall.msn.com/movies/the-shortlist-for-sept-12-26365.gallery?photoId=114517

Julie Chen reveals she underwent surgery to widen her eyes

Kris Jenner's theme on "The Talk" has been secrets this week, and CBS reporter Julie Chen has a big one: When she was first starting out, she said that multiple people in positions of power suggested that the shape of her eyes were an obstacle to her success as a broadcast

journalist. "My secret dates back to — my heart is racing — it dates back to when I was 25 years old and I was working as a local news reporter in Dayton, Ohio," she said on Tuesday's edition of the show. She recalled asking to fill in for anchors when they went on vacation and being told, "'You will never be on this anchor desk, because you're Chinese,'" by her manager. "He said 'Let's face it Julie, how relatable are you to our community? How big of an Asian community do we really have in Dayton? ... On top of that because of your heritage, because of your Asian eyes, I've noticed that when you're on camera, when you're interviewing someone you look disinterested and bored because your eyes are so heavy: they are so small.'"

She knew "it was racism," she said, but it ate away at her. When an agent later suggested she get plastic surgery to change the shape of her eyes, she went through with it. "I will say after I had that done everything kind of ... the ball did roll for me," she said. "I struggle with, 'Wow. Did I give in to the man in doing this?'

2. bongman

bongman Member

I agree with you that there was no reason for her to do this. Seems like she got some bad advise from her manager. I am sure that Connie Chung would have given her a different take.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So that's why she married the guy who runs CBS, to make a career. Can't stand that lady.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She's still identifiably Asian. And there's no reason to assume nobody over there has eyes that look like that. Moving the goal posts on someone trying to further relate and assimilate.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I can't tell if this is sarcasm insofar as Connie Chung is a comprehensive failure professionally. I can't think of a lot people that highly perched in anchor positions who just evaporated overnight.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

There was a good segment about double-eyelid surgery in a VICE doc that focused on Korea.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0wWKjxxM6q8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skip to about 23:40, but I would recommend watching the whole documentary to get an interesting perspective into modern Korea, the culture and the KPOP craze.

May be a little NSFW due to the surgery scenes

#7 shastarocket, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  8. Major

Major Member

While a little more extreme, it's not conceptually any different than someone with a "black name" using a nickname or something on a resume because it's statistically shown to improve their odds of getting an interview. It's great to stand up for what is right and fair, but I'm not going to say someone is necessarily shallow for not doing so and simply trying to maximize their career.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Self Hatred is real

Rocket River

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am curious. As a black man what do you think of blacks who have lightened their skin?

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Asians in Asia (and maybe in the US, too?) do the same thing

umbrellas for the sun, also...

12. bongman

bongman Member

No sarcasm on my end. She has been an anchor and reporter for the U.S. television news networks NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, and MSNBC. According to the manager, she can never be an anchor due to her looks. It doesn't matter if you feel that she is no longer in the limelight but at one point in time, she was.

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Double eyelid surgery is rampant in Asia. Plastic surgery in general.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Anything that doesn't draw unintended attention is probably fine; the flip-side of disliking one's reflection every morning before work probably has more potential negative psychological and emotional consequences. Incidentally American society doesn't really socially compartmentalize blacks based on incremental skin-tone, and blacks of all tones typically identify as such unless they're first generation mixed and they've grown up in predominately non-black environments. Women may get a little more mileage out of it, but black guys are black.

15. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Did Jackie Chen do this too or was that just a rumor? Whatever makes her happy, just don't do what Sammy Sosa did, yikes...

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

17. Apps

Apps Member

What an insufferable "journalist" that woman was. Constant editorializing and a never-ending air of condescension. Terrible.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if it pleases her and/or her husband, good for them

19. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Black dont do that anymore

20. dback816

dback816 Member

Can't say I have any particular feeling about this either way.

Some people have done much worse to their bodies for career and self esteem reasons.