1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JuanValdez, What Happened To The Grid?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Feb 15, 2021.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astrodome and T_Man like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Excellent post.

Can ERCOT issue regulations without approval of the PUC (appointed by the governor) and the legislature? I have no idea, I'd like to direct my ire at the proper authorities.

Kim, HP3 and Amiga like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Perry said we all should scarifies a few days of no power (to keep fed regulation out).. but for who?

mdrowe00 and HP3 like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

okay, we were that close to the nightmare... blame the operators but the question is do the operators have the power to demand regulations that the fed required for reliability ? My suspicion is no, it goes higher up - governor and/or state Congress. And I assume the main job of ercot is to avoid the nightmare of nightmare, not to necessary avoid events like what we are going through (as we have gone through smaller versions of them twice already since 1989).

Texas’ power grid was “seconds and minutes” away from a catastrophic failure that could have left Texans in the dark for months, officials with the entity that operates the grid said Thursday.

It needed to be addressed immediately," said Bill Magness, president of ERCOT. “It was seconds and minutes [from possible failure] given the amount of generation that was coming off the system.”

Grid operators had to act quickly to cut the amount of power distributed, Magness said, because if they had waited, “then what happens in that next minute might be that three more [power generation] units come offline, and then you’re sunk.”

Magness said on Wednesday that if operators had not acted in that moment, the state could have suffered blackouts that “could have occurred for months,” and left Texas in an “indeterminately long” crisis.

The worst case scenario: Demand for power overwhelms the supply of power generation available on the grid, causing equipment to catch fire, substations to blow, power lines to go down.

If the grid had gone totally offline, the physical damage to power infrastructure from overwhelming the grid can take months to repair, said Bernadette Johnson, senior vice president of power and renewables at Enverus, an oil and gas software and information company headquartered in Austin.

“As chaotic as it was, the whole grid could’ve been in blackout,” she said. “ERCOT is getting a lot of heat, but the fact that it wasn’t worse is because of those grid operators.”

mdrowe00, tinman, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The PUC technically issues the actual regulations. ERCOT is technically a nonprofit so it has oversight over the grid but it has to refer regulations to the PUC.

Buck Turgidson, Amiga and HP3 like this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

I feel like both ERCOT and congress should be held responsible. They both failed Texas.,

B@ffled likes this.
  7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Even more incompetence than originally thought...

mdrowe00, jiggyfly, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

9. TheresTheDagger

Astrodome likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

GTFO
    This still does not erase the fact ERCOT did not make sure the grid was winterized, that's why they are getting the heat.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why did we still have outages?

Wind power is a small part of the grid.

It's amazing you all are still trying to push this narrative, you really are a sick individual.

mdrowe00, Invisible Fan and HP3 like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Still can't believe that there r dumbasses out there that really believe that wind power is the main reason for power outage.

mdrowe00, HP3, pgabriel and 1 other person like this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

This wasn't the only comment I've had on this situation and if you took the time to read what I've written you would know this. I fail to understand how I'm "pushing a narrative"? NOTHING I've posted has been untrue.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rick Pretty was governor the last two times those plants froze over and required blackouts.

All these suggestions to weatherize or diversify the grid... He's already heard about it and likely know the added costs.

"Someone's gonna pay for this!"
    "Let's listen to the guy responsible and believe every word he says cuz Trump liked him!!"
    "Sounds like a plan! We need a plan!!"
    "Hundred year events aren't that bad... Then the feds we hate so much comes bailing us out."
    "Secession or death!!"
    "Damnit Jim..."

HP3 likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

bring back his statement on we all should scarifies like Texans are doing now ... and for who again ?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would you post that link when that narrative has been proven wrong since Mon.? t

You posted a opinion piece that is still pushing a false narrative, the link you just posted was untrue starting with the title.

Texas does not rely on renewables.

Texas Spins Into the Wind
    An electricity grid that relies on renewables also needs nuclear or coal power.

mdrowe00 and HP3 like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If they do not have the power to regulate - require winterizing, how do they make sure the grid was winterized ? I have more questions than statements.

blasting someone without good knowledge can end up helping those most responsible stay hidden from that responsibility... at this time I hold all of them responsible until I know more

joshuaao, HP3, Kim and 1 other person like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not mad that blackouts happened. I understand the cheapness and Texas ego that drove the choices (don't agree, but I understand) and nothing could have been done to change that this late in the game.

What I'm still furious about is that there was absolutely zero plan for a scenario they knew was very realistic. Rolling blackouts was a sound solution to the problem, but that's not what we got. We got stationary blackouts for days, and others with minimal (if any) interruption, and absolutely no communication as to which you were going to get and when. People could have made plans.

From what I can tell, local distribution of what power they have is on Centerpoint. I don't think they are getting enough blame (even though there's plenty to go around)

FranchiseBlade, jiggyfly and Kim like this.
  19. TheresTheDagger

Because it's true and adds context? Just like lack of winterization and regulation also is true and adds context?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are right they don't have the power to regulate but they can create the pressure to make sure it's done.

The responsibility lies with Texas government for not making sure the recommendations are done.