1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Juan Pierre?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Clutch, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

SI ranked the top 50 free agents in baseball and the only real mention of the Astros was they felt Juan Pierre, ranked #47 on their list, was a good fit for the Astros.

Don't know if he could reclaim that speed (you don't usually do that in your mid-30's), but his 2011 should certainly reduce the market for him. Potential one-year deal and flip at the deadline for a prospect (if he pans out)?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Questions regarding Schaefer's availability with his drug arrest could lead to a lot of these types of rumors.

3. RocketMania1991

The guy got with some pot. I doubt he's going to miss anytime.....................

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Remember back in the day the Astros offered Hidalgo for him and the Rockies rejected the offer quickly.

Now, many years later, the Astros have a centerfielder with a couple of drug issues who can be suspended for a while and the possibility to still make Pierre an Astro is still there.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

His problem is that he has already received a 50 game PED suspension, so MLB may not be too lenient with him. His mar1juana possession charge is also a 3rd degree felony due to the amount.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I would love for the Stros to go after Sizemore, Lidge and Pat Maholm sadly they will probably go after Raul Ibanez, Aaron Cook and Jaime Moyer.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear where you're coming from, but Juan has lost that lovin feeling ...and isn't getting it back.

#7 Plowman, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Juan Pierre is Michael Bourn without the defense. He hasn't even been a regular CF since 2007.

No thanks. For better or worse, Schafer is our starting CF. The only question is RF & SS. I'm guessing either they move Lee back to left & Martinez to right (doubtful, IMO), or Bogey, Shuck, Bourgeois share duties.

I'd venture to guess our opening day lineup will be:

Schafer, cf
    Altuve, 2b
    Martinez, lf
    Lee, 1b
    Bogey, rf
    Johnson, 3b
    Paredes, ss
    Castro, c
    Rodriguez, p

9. RocketMania1991

Chris Johnson :(

10. juicystream

Either him or Downs (assuming Paredes is moved to SS to fill that hole). Downs is the preferred bench player because of his versatility.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think you're probably right.

Does that lineup lose 100 games or more next season?

12. Buck Turgidson

Would be absolutely shocked if Paredes sees much time at SS.

1 person likes this.
  13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

oops. i didn't even catch that.

Paredes starts at 3B with SS up for grabs?

What becomes of Chris Johnson?

14. Buck Turgidson

Dunno about CJ, this has to pretty much be a make or break year for him in ST. Paredes got moved from 2B because of range & hands issues, I know Wade mentioned him as a possibility if Barmes signed elsewhere, I just don't see it happening.

If Paredes's bat comes around like they think it can, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the OF some day if his defense at 3rd doesn't improve. Would be great if he could handle 3B though.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He was also caught 17 times, which just atrocious. Did he have a foot amputated or something because that is a prestigious drop in production.

I hope the Astros steer clear of any one-year band-aids like Pudge Rod - I mean, Mike Ham... sorry: Juan Pierre - that's it: Juan Pierre.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that the only starting position the Astros will address in FA is SS, that is if Barmes does not return.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Move Jimmy to SS and sign Aaron Hill to play 3rd...trade him at the deadline if he produces or keep him since there isnt a 3B prospect in the minors.

18. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

19. msn

msn Member

Man, Barmes can pick it. Got to see him in person a couple times. Excellent glove, footwork, quick release. One of the better ones.

20. juicystream

I don't think it is the right move, but they are entertaining the idea, and seem dead set on not adding salary. I think they will make the move (or at the very least attempt it) if Barmes doesn't return.