1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Juan Dixon

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Gascon, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Gascon

Gascon Member

I want to be the first to say that Juan Dixon is going to be one of the major steals of this draft. This kid is a gamer, and he is going to make a serious impact on the Wizards, especially if Mike is coming back this season.

I think Dixon really suffered, draftwise, because of the love affair that the league has right now with size and youth. He's coming to play, and I for one am seriously thankful he wasn't around for the Spurs or Lakers to nab.

Just remember I said this.

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

And I'm gonna say this - Ryan Humphrey will be a stuf out of this draft. He has the potential to be one of the better PFs in this draft with his work ethic, determination, and skill set. Athletic and very strong, the only thing against him is his height - and even that will not be a limiting factor. After all, many top PFs have been undersized - Barkley, Brand, Fortson, even Rodman.

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I disagree about Dixon. I don't doubt his heart, but I think Washington only picked him to sell more tickets to the locals. I don't see him cutting it at PG.

4. BULLS10

BULLS10 Member

Juan Dixon is one of the top rookies on my list to succeed in the nba right off the bat because he has alot of heart along with Jay Williams and Caron Butler.

Even Jay Williams said that he was the toughest guy to play against in college ball , yup they said it last night and he is going to lead the Wizards to the Eastern Conference finals just like Jay Williams is going to lead the Bulls to the eastern conference finals, yup this is where you heard it first Jordan and Dixon versus Rose and J Will. #23 is coming back strong next year just like rose and for the west finals rockets and kings.

5. Gascon

Gascon Member

If we make the Western Conference Finals, I'll be shocked.

Elated, but shocked.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Juan Dixon was a terrible pick for the Wizards at 17! You realize he's going to be forced to play point guard, right? I thought point guard was a position where ball handling and court vision are two very important things. I know he's not a spectacular ball handler and I've got no idea about his court vision, because all he did in college was shoot. And let's face it, he's not a freak like Iverson or Francis. He'll find it a lot harder to even get shots off at the NBA Level. It just makes me sick to think the Wizards traded Alexander straight up for Juan Dixon. Wes Unseld is truly a moron. Well, maybe this will mean the Wizards will be bad enough to land a good, TRUE point guard in the next draft like say...TJ Ford. At best, Juan Dixon is a bench player like Bobby Jackson, and I would even say that's a stretch.

Believe it or not, I actually thought Dixon was the Player of the Year in College Basketball last season. But that doesn't affect what I think he'll be able to do in the NBA. Now I have to ask, are you a Maryland Terps fan?

7. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Gascon: "I want to be the first to say that Juan Dixon is going to be one of the major steals of this draft. This kid is a gamer, and he is going to make a serious impact on the Wizards, especially if Mike is coming back this season."

I was very pleased to see Dixon go in the first round, especially #17 to Washington. He's a great kid and that's a great story. As for his impact, I don't know if he'll play the point of the 2. He'll play guard. And he'll succeed. He's like a surgeon. He cuts the defense up and removes its heart.

8. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

P.S. I'm glad for Tayshaun Prince, too. Another great kid who worked very hard for everything he got. Maybe next June he'll finally get the championship he couldn't get at Kentucky....

9. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

errr....no. He said that about someone else.

10. Gascon

Gascon Member

No, I'm not a Terps fan. You make some good points, if you're right. I just saw the kid play a lot and I think he's something special. I guess I just have a kind of magic feeling about him.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. But I think he's going to do very, very well.

11. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

He seems like a shorter 2. Probably a guy who'll be a good to very good roleplayer IMHO, someone you hate to see on the other team. I think Caron Butler at 10 was a bigger steal for Miami, since teams 4-9 passed on him. I think Washington's weird for getting rid of a player just behind Jordan on the depth chart when Jordan may not even be capable of play a half season as the second string. They should have developed Courtney more instead of wasting playing time on Jordan. Hindsight is 20/20 of course...

12. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Bobby Jackson?

13. SlamN

SlamN Member

Sam Cassell didn't come out as the ideal PG (more of a SG) either but he panned out pretty well. Dixon is a baller and MJ should help.

Ryan Humphrey is probably closer to 6'7" than 6'8". The kid can play and has great athleticism, but may have trouble matching up with the bigger and taller PFs in the NBA. I don't think he'll be one of the top PFs in the game though. He was a big surprise in the first round, not saying he's not first round material but, he could've been had lower.

14. mduke

mduke Member

Humphrey actually measured 6'6 at Chicago.

15. tozai

tozai Member

Are you being sarcastic, because he really did say that about Dixon

gettinbranded-Are you happy, your team looks to be climbing out of the cellar...Playoffs are not a complete joke now, huh?

16. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

I also really hope Juan Dixon performs well, but I don't know if he can cut it in the NBA.

17. hardeji

hardeji Member

Maryland kicked Kansas' ass in the Final 4; but was Dixon the reason? It seems to me that KU couldn't begin to match up down low (Wilcox and ???). Dixon's been lucky to have such a great frontcourt.

With that said, maybe he'll turn it on in the nba. He's got decent speed and size, but is not known to be a great assist guy.

I'm sure he'll do fine and play several years.

18. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I am a huge Maryland fan, but I think that picking Dixon at #17 was a stupid move for the Wizards. Courtney Alexander has a lot of potential, which Dixon doesn't have.

19. ESource

ESource Member

He's a poor man's Cuttino Mobley..... :(