1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JR Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by henGoOink, Apr 10, 2009.

1. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

is a buzzer beater monster...he did it against us, the lakers, and im sure may other teams.

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

JR Smith has got a lot of skill & from what I remember he always lights us up in the 4th quarter.

He's a shot first type of player but a perfect player to bring off the bench which is exactly what Denver does.

He is our Von Wafer.

3. uchlha

uchlha Member

i remember before cp3 was drafted he was NOH's man... but his ego made them ship him out. imagine him and cp3 backcourt in NOH if he got past his ego to be #2... scary...

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

JR Smith is a deadly shooter and extremely athletic. Too bad his BB IQ is low because that's what is preventing him from taking his game to the next level.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He's a talented player, for sure. Still, i'm glad he's not on our team. He's very hard to coach, control and play in a structured offense. We have already have enough players like that.

6. lastmanstanding

I hear he's a knucklehead, so I wouldn't want him on our team.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

He may be a knucklehead but he's a vastly improved knuckledhead since his first couple of seasons. I bet the Hornets wish they still had him given their lack of depth.

8. baller4life315

Ehhh, yes and no. Wasn't JR part of the deal that brought Tyson Chandler to NO?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't like his game he is too much of a chucker for my taste, and seems to not take coaching well.

DD

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Kinda, I remember he was more of a throw in. I think they had ruined his name for the bulls and they dropped him pretty quickly for a couple 2nd rounds and Howard Eisley (pretty much nothing)...so they could have made the deal work with someonelse.

I could see JR winning the 6th man award one day...the hornets could definitely use his production.

11. BrooksBall

He has a very similar game to Von, who you rave about.

12. BrooksBall

Didn't the Hornets try to trade Chandler about a month ago?

Even though the motivation behind the trade was financial, that tells you how much they value Chandler to a certain extent.

I think the Hornets would love to have JR Smith and his mid-level contract right about now.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, part of the reason they tried to trade Chandler was he hasn't been that good this year, at least when I watch them. But I haven't checked his stats. Both he and Peja have ridiculous contracts the Hornets were crazy to offer in the first place.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

well, you yourself admittedly consider J.R. Smith to be a knucklehead.. so perhaps there-in lies the seperation between the two.. Von has yet to display any signs of said detraction-to-talent in his play..

he's pretty much the anti-luther head.. for the obvious reasons.. but also he knows immediately what he's going to do.. if he notices an opening.. he'll drive it.. with purpose.. if not.. and there's time on the clock.. he'll pass it off.. without any prior dribbling away of the clock on either course of action.. he'll also learn.. if he realizes his hastening of the pace of the game was a detriment to the team.. he's able to slow it down accordingly.. show patience.. without it being a detriment to him.. and his play..

and equally important.. he'll shoot the open shot as unconsciously.. without falling in love with it.. he's mind is always on attack first and foremost..

15. BrooksBall

I never said JR Smith was perfect. By knucklehead, I meant questionable decision making and not showing a lot of basketball IQ at times. He has reduced those problems while increasing his consistency and efficiency as a scorer off the bench.

Wafer was making a lot of boneheaded plays early in the season. Much like Smith does at times, he was taking questionable shots while forgetting about the rest of the team, especially early in the season. It was only a few weeks ago that he started pulling up when he didn't have numbers and giving up the ball. His passing and decision making, in general, started to improve at about the same time.

Von has improved steadily over the course of the season, offensively and defensively, and I hope we are able to resign him as a spark off the bench. He fills a role for us very similar to the one Smith fills for the Nuggets. I see them as extremely similar players with Smith getting the obvious edge. While Von has been great, especially over the past several games, Smith has been consistently delivering in his role for about 2 seasons now. Von still has a lot to prove.

#15 BrooksBall, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  16. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Last I saw him I was pretty impressed with the way he played.

17. baller4life315

Granted, he sucks royally this year but they definitely don't win 56 games last year without Chandler. I mean, CP3 isn't THAT good. That's all i'm saying. I definitely see your point, though.

18. Mr.TripleDouble

Smith is averaging over 25 points per game in the month of April after his 45 point (33 coming from beyond the arc) game against the Kings tonight. To say he's really heating up going into the playoffs would be an understatement.

19. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Damn, he is really helping the Nuggets. He may not shoot very high % but he consistently makes about 5 3s a game.

He had 11 last night... Unbelivable

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He certainly has, and that has been what has gotten him kicked off all the other teams he tried out for (including the Knicks).

He is great off our bench, but JR would be even better...