1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Enough with the agenda. If you weren't so myopic you'd see this is a chance for Dmo to get more post up opportunities. Dwight isn't fully healthy this year. DMo wil get his minutes and maybe even more if he pairs up well with Smith. As it allows the Rockets to reduce mins for or even shut down Dwight.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Yes, that's why you keep D-Mo while adding Smith. Oh, what difference does it make- you believe what you want to believe- and if you're proven wrong, maybe you'll own up to it, maybe not. This is why you always leave open the possibility that any player- even Clarence Weatherspoon- might possibly contribute, 'cause you just don't know.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sorry YY, I missed it, let me go back and look.

DD

4. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Bringing D-Mo off the bench gives us a post presence in each group and allows D-Mo to be D-Mo rather than launching corner threes...Win Win and if it doesn't work who says that the lineup is final...No reason to get angry over the matter

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I don't see what the big fuss is about with smith starting. Many of the scenarios we've been throwing around here had him starting over Dmo.

If Dmo is the primary backup for the 4 and 5 he gets the same number of minutes which is all that matters. Heck some of yall had considered asking Dragic to come off the bench if we traded for him to be in that "ginobli" role since Bev fit better with the starters. Dragic would have gotten starter minutes as well in that scenario.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't think that's what will happen given the second unit's inability to feed the post and their tendency to jack up terrible 3's. This will be compounded because Papa (the only guy other than Harden that can get Motiejunas the ball in the post correctly) will be out of the rotation.

If Smith signs with the Rockets he will not get minutes at the 5. We can do a tip-jar bet on that one. Now, your argument could be that he'll get all his minutes at the 4 and D-Mo will get those minutes at the 5 now. That's reasonable. I still don't think that's what will happen though.

The same McHale that insists on playing Terry as PG? The same McHale who played Casspi at 4 when he's a 3? Yeah Smith will definitely get zero minutes at the 3. :rolleyes:

Papa is done. Smith will play the 4/3.

He explicitly said only. Take a look.

7. baubo

baubo Member

Kind of odd people would be against Smith starting for us when most of us are of the belief that DMo is best off the bench to get more post touches when Dwight's out. This allows for most staggering of minutes between Dwight and DMo.

If all Josh Smith is asking in order to sign for an amount vastly under his FA value(the guy would've gotten a MLE contract in the offseason easily if he were FA) is the "starter" designation, it would be stupid not to give it to him.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I swear some people think we're getting Smith for his max deal. We're giving him 2 mil! That's it! Say what you want about him, but 2 million for him is a fantastic deal and well worth the risk for a team that has an already thin roster but can win a championship.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely interested in what you mean as well DD. You make it sound like the guy is 33 already. I definitely not a Smith fan, but I think you are exaggerating by saying he is in a serious decline. He isn't even declining, just was in an overall bad situation.

10. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Looks like Houston really are the favorites. Smith might've sucked with the Pistons, but that doesn't mean he'll continue to do bad if he joins the Rockets. We all know the Pistons were a bad fit for Smoove. I mean c'mon... they put him at SF and he clearly doesn't fit in that postition. I think he can rejuvenate himself here in H-Town. Watch him play like he did when he was with the Atlanta Hawks.

11. Rox>Mavs

I will say this though: if the scenario was the rockets went into their pitch saying we have a starting role for you (because it makes sense rotation wise to bring Dmo off the bench)" then I'm good with this signing.

If however he comes in demanding a spot in order to sign I'm not so hot on the idea any longer. That would tell me a lot about what his priorities are and his attitude. These are things we as fans will never know though so I trust Morey to make the right call.

12. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

I'd rather thrown in canaan than capela
    And
    keep black over Dorsey no question.

Would do this in a heartbeat and the Suns better get get something for him before he leaves. But the question remains are we better off waiting until the off season then signing him and getting a forware with the NO pick?

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's totally different. Lowry earned the spot playing well when Brooks was down.

What has Smith done with the Rockets to earned a promised starting spot over the current guys?

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That can be waived

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Many players 'decline' in a crap situation, playing a foreign position, and not being comfortable with the organisation.

He will be enormous for us as starting PF. Motie is 11 and 6 as a starter, Smith has never been below tbose numbers as a starter. He is only 29, and has played in many many winning seasons as a starter.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ok, we shall see...

DD

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QyzvwuTNkPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is in Denver. A little over a month ago. Even for a 1-game sample, that is NOT a player in SERIOUS decline. Even the Pistons commentators noted that he doesn't dunk as much, but that does not equate to serious decline- unless one is exaggerating to make a point.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wow.
    which NBA coach would start Motie over Smith if trying to win games????

Just wow.

19. Rox>Mavs

I think black gets cut before Dorsey since Dorsey has another guaranteed year (unless they can find a trade partner for Dorsey)

And we won't be able to sign Dragic in the summer without moving a number of key rotational players. That's part of PHX's leverage on us.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Telling Howard, no we don't want him because he might be a bad influence on you seems like a better idea to some people.