1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh sure that is how it will be viewed, no worries at all.

So what has Josh Smith done to earn that starting spot?

DD

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Listen, I love DMo just as much as anyone here, maybe even more. But this move is all about winning and winning now. This move will help us against all the West teams that we struggle against because of their 4.

Griz- ZBo
    Clips- Griffin
    Blazers- LMA
    Warriors- DLee
    Pelicans- ADavis
    Mavs- Dirk

I would feel a million times more confident going into a series with any of those teams with Smith guarding them over DMO, Tjones, Tariq, or Dorsey.

/story

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Mark Stein has no inside sources. He's just making **** up again.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well. At least there's no way we could go after a player with a lower basketball IQ because there's no such thing.....I guess that's a positive about this.

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Been a better player of the course of his career. I'm not saying it's fair but it's how the league works. The Mavericks didn't make Rondo earn a starting spot. When you acquire a player that you believe fits better into your starting lineup you start him.

6. DaDakota

What has Josh Smith ever done to make anyone think he is a winner, or that it s about winning now?

This is politics plain and simple and it is a massive risk to disrupt chemistry.

I hope it works out.

DD

7. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Would love to have jsmith on our team. Low risk and high reward. I hope this doesn't play out like cbosh where everyone has him coming to us and he goes somewhere else last minute.

8. Lightsnowaction

I feel like this potential signing/starting could be like what happened to the Pacers last year swapping Granger for Evan Turner. That didn't go right for chemistry at all.

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Dmo off the bench to backup both the 5 and 4. Three big rotation of Howard/Smith/Dmo. You have black or Dorsey for insurance (which ever one doesn't get cut).

I wanted to go after Wright at first but i think keeping dmo and rolling with him as primary backup for both 5 and 4 gets him starter minutes coming off the bench.

NOP pick + NYK 2nd + KPap to PHX for dragic. Toss Capela in if you have to to make it work.

Howard/Dmo/Dorsey
    Smith/Dmo/Jones
    Ariza/Brewer
    Harden/Dragic/Terry
    Dragic/Bev/Terry

Lock that roster in and work on the rotations and chemistry.....

10. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Funny if Josh Smith doesnt even come

But for real, If things go south just bench the guy and if Howard somehow is affected then he aint the person he says he is

11. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

By NBA rules, the Rockets can't talk to JSmith until 5pm Eastern. What are you smoking about Marc?

12. DaDakota

LOL- really?

DD

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The guy has been involved in multiple playoff series victories with Atlanta, averaging 16 and 9 over 52 playoff games. He laces that with blocks steals assists and defence.

He HAS earned a starting spot. He played crap for Detroit at SF because, well, he is a PF.
    What has Donuts done to beat out Smith for a starting spot?
    Using your weird logic, if we traded for Westbrook, he would be off the bench behind Beverley until he 'earns it'.
    Um, yeah...

Josh Smith has earned it!!

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yes. Let's replace the 4th best rim protector in the NBA with Josh Smith. Because D-Mo has been doing so bad at defending those players.

While Dwight was out, A D-Mo anchored defense held Z-Bo/Gasol to 16 total points and Dirk to 11 on 4-18 shooting.

Yes he had a flat out bad game against Blake Griffin. But overall D-Mo has played very good defense against the elite western conference PF's. Cousins got his points against the Rockets, but in the last 6 minutes of the game D-Mo shut him down and scored on the other end which really helped the Rockets win.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201412030HOU.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201411220HOU.html
    <br>
    No dude, trust everyone. This is a "low risk high reward situation." Team chemistry is not important at all.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's what's odd... I thought teams/GM's couldn't talk to the player until the waivers are cleared... Are they allowed to talk to the agents or something?? I mean I know the players are supposed to be the only ones can talk with a waived player, but lately all of these reports/sources are reporting like the teams are directly talking with Smith.

16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Dwight can talk to Smith.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Probably indirectly talking through players.

18. DaDakota

OH for **** sake, you are considering Westbrook and Smith?

Come on Nuegebauer, you are better than that, Westbrook is an elite talent.

Smith is not - and he has been in serious decline.

The Granger for Evan Turner switch is EXACTLY what I am afraid of.

DD

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Risk is not that massive. He'll be signed for a minimum deal. If it's not working out let him go.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you never responded to my post (now several pages back) by what exactly you mean by "serious decline" I actually used stats and facts to support my claim - don't tell me facts are trumped by the all-knowing "dd eye test"

1 person likes this.