1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

Exactly..100% agree! It's a low risk, high reward situation.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's not infatuation with the name, it's that we're not drastically risk averse, we're giving up the BAE and a 15th man, what's the downside? it doesn't work, we lose what? it might cost us a game or two at most, he slips down the rotation.

What are the odds you'd put on this? He ruins the team - 1%, he doesn't work out but we don't really lose much out of it, 20%, he's a solid rotation player, 60%, he returns to his 2009-10 self, the rest?

If we were sucking our bench depth out on our only productive bench players for a player that might not fit, then we might have a problem. We're not a young impressionable team anymore, we have veterans in the rotation now, Terry, Ariza, Brewer, Harden has been a great leader, no Smith isn't one (and Detroit asked him to be), just like Dwight isn't really and we wouldn't be asking him to.

#1622 Aleron, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You're a good poster. And I respect your takes.

I looked at the numbers in context. Did you? I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. Per basketball reference Smith has a defensive rating of 103 this season.

Smith will eat into D-Mo's minutes who by the way has a defensive rating of 102. So we're gonna take out of the game the 4th best rim protector in the NBA that has a better drtg anyway and replace him with Smith?

Sounds good.

And that's only on defense. Motiejunas is the vastly superior player on offense and actually efficient. That's something Smith has never been and will fail to ever become. For reference D-Mo's offensive rating is 103 while Smith's is a horrible 89.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/motiedo01.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithjo03.html

#1623 DudeWah, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Why is that the case? There are 96 minutes available at the 4 and 5 and DMo is averaging about 32 right now. That leaves 34 for Howard and 30 for Smith.

5. domd221

domd221 Member

how legit is this guy?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I'm being told that Josh Smith will sign with the Los Angeles Clippers after he clears waivers.</p>&mdash; Mike Ortiz Jr. (@xOrtiz4x) <a href="https://twitter.com/xOrtiz4x/status/547621635201966080">December 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Do you think that ballooning up way over 300 lb may have been the reason for Kemp ' s decline?

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't agree that Houston needs to upgrade the PG as you put it. I will say they probably need depth at that position but they really need help at the PF/C position. In the west, you need depth at that position to deal with teams like the clippers, grizzles, and okc.

8. Possum

Possum Member

Bump!

9. NotChandlerParsons

Random twitter account owned by a guy who runs a fantasy sports site?

Completely legit. Done deal.

10. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

So the anti-JSmoove group's only argument boils down to "he's a cancer and will turn Dwight against the team."

Strong argument.

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That's basically what it boils down to. Him sucking isn't really a downside at all because the Rockets aren't making a commitment to him.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well, upside is DMo could be more involved on offense when Dwight is sitting, I mean if he comes off bench... I. know it's small sample size but DMo doesn't seem as big on offense when Dwight is in the game too, that stretch with Dwight out made DMo get more looks, I'd almost rather have DMo run the 2nd unit if it means he'll get more looks (like he was before). This is only if Smith is signed and takes his starting role...

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Risk aversion on an individual basis is a completely different thing than what we are discussing. When it comes to how something affects a team the whole scenario changes. The Rockets are rolling. And the recent acquisition of Brewer shored up a huge hole in the Rockets offense, transition offense.

There's one huge move that needs to be made that fixes the PG problem this team has. And one minor move that fills our big man depth if Terrence Jones does not return. I don't think the Josh Smith move is that.

If I had to put odds on this. I'd put it as follows.

Motiejunas (who is playing great basketball for us) becomes marginalized and the team becomes less efficient. Papanikalaou who gives us a little bit of everything and knows his role gets him time taken away. Our team chemistry suffers because these selfless players lose time for a known "me first" guy in Smith.

I'd put that at about 50%

The other 50% is Smith sticks to his role and becomes a solid ancillary player for our team.

Neither of those two extremes have any relevance because the chances of either of those two things happening is close to 0.

14. domd221

domd221 Member

don't need the sarcasm, was just an honest question.

I rarely use twitter and a friend showed me the tweet. I don't know what DYST is, but I thought I'd ask on here. Didn't mean to troll wit that tweet.

15. NotChandlerParsons

Kay, here it is again without the sarcasm: It's not legit.

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

No this team definitely needs a PG upgrade. The team literally has no one to create offense when Harden is on the bench. Actually even worse lately, the team can't create offense even when Harden is on the floor unless the ball is in his hands. And the ball should not be in his hands 100% of the time unless we want Harden to burn out.

Goran Dragic type is the move this team needs to make. But that's neither here nor there.

I do agree we need front court depth. I'm still not convinced that Dorsey is unable do that for a spell at times. He has not looked bad lately. Whatever the case is, this team needs front court depth in the mold of Mutombo's role during his years here. Rim protection, defense, and the 20th option on offense.

Smith is not that.

See this is why people do not give responses. I don't think anyone has said that he's going to turn Dwight against the team. I think ruining the roles of Motiejunas and Papa will hurt this team a lot more than others here would like to admit.

It's not as if getting relegated to the bench automatically means more shots. This argument is so tired. McHale is already staggering Motiejunas and Dwight's minutes except for at the beginning of the game and the very end when he plays them both together.

Would you rather be subject to D-Mo post-ups or Josh Smith long 2 pointers that he bricks constantly? To Papa's hustle and intangibles or Smith's "me first" playing style. Because that's essentially the trade-off.

Bumped for what exactly, citing something without reference or context that I had to go back and add in? :confused:

17. domd221

domd221 Member

thank you, sir :cool:

18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

He's not legit.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Guess we will find out tomorrow.

I doubt the clippers would get him.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

How on earth is he going to do that? Smith starting will allow DMo to come off the bench when Howard sits. It will allow him to get back in the post instead of shooting 3s again like he has been since Howard came back.

And how is he going to hurt Papa? We aren't playing Smith at the 3 like the Pistons were. He will be brought here to play the 4 and the 5 in smaller lineups. Right now Howard and DMo are the only two players really suited to play that position so there are plenty of minutes to go around.