1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Hell yea we gonna sign him!

2. basketballholic

The Pistons very clearly would rather pay this guy $5 million per season over the next 5 years while paying Greg Monroe $15 million or so per season over the next 5 years than to pay SMoove $13.5 million over the next 2 years and not have Monroe. I think the Pistons did the right thing if they re-sign Monroe and if Monroe is really that good.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

4. TheresTheDagger

In other words, you prefer Joey Dorsey over Josh Smith. That's essentially the trade off.

SMH

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Probably has, but I didn't see it.

Seems like Smith to Houston is a done deal if he clears waivers. I can't imagine any team picking up that contract, but we have some dumb #%! teams out there out east.

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

For those of you scoffing on Smith, y'all are not thinking about the unbelievable Defense of this lineup!

P.G. - Beverley
    S.G. - Brewer
    S.F. - Ariza
    P.F. - Smith
    ..C. - Howard

You have got to be FREAKIN' KIDDING ME!! I don't care if you're Jordan's Bulls, you don't want to have to play against that unit.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm fine with Josh Smith on this roster but not at the ridiculous contract he is currently on.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

If he clears waivers, does his new deal stack on top of his old one? Or do the Pistons get to deduct that amount like Wasington did when Blatche went to the Nets?

9. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Exactly.... That is why he will most likely clear waivers, because no team in the league does.

10. davidio840

davidio840 Member

LOL WTF DUDE?? Brewer in there over Harden? What are you smoking?

11. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Signing Smith when they already had Drummond and Monroe was the dumbest move of that offseason. Even a casual fan knew Smith couldn't shoot for **** as a SF. So the guy has been put in a bad situation on a crappy team and you've got the Monroe contract looming and all that drama as well.

Playing PF here will he will be asked to play defense, grab boards and clean up missed shots its perfect. Will he shoot some stupid jumpers? Sure. But for the money and role its ideal. He can also run the floor and is one of the better big man passers in the league.

Trade DMo, Terry, and the NOP pick for Dragic and the sky is the limit.

13. ChievousFTFace

I believe that Blatche was amnestied, not waived. Detroit would be strapped with Smith's contract (I'm sure there's some sort of stretch provision to make it friendlier on the books) and Smith would always get paid based on the new contract he signs with teams now.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Let's not even assume TJ will be coming back at this point.

Lets talk about how he will do with the current roster.

We added Brewer, he will cut into Kpap's playing time. OK, some people said lets move Kpap to the 4th spot.

Now if you will get Josh Smith, he will for sure eat up any 4th spot minutes that Kpap may have.

So the first question is : are we ready to completely give up on Kpap and bury him at the end of the bench? You really think we can flip him for anything at this point of the season?

Secondly, J Smith is not a bad finisher under the basket - that's only assuming he is running and gunning in fast break, but wait, Brewer is doing better than him on this.

Back to the basket with low post play? Wait, Dmo is way better according to how he played in the last 1 month or so.

3 pointers? OK I will just stop at here.

The ball will be in Harden's hands a lots, so how do you space him on the floor? Pick and roll with Harden and put Dwight on the corner or outside the arc? Or play him when Dwight is out of the game? So you want an extreme small lineup to get killed?

He is a decent defender on the wings and also on some 4s, that I will give you, even though he is a terrible defender in the Pistons according to stats.

He is just a terrible offensive player for more than a year and he definitely not getting any praise from his coach, and teammates.

15. ggeorge115

ggeorge115 Member

he meant defensive line up lol

16. The Law

The Law Member

Elaborate?

Has everyone forgotten what LMA did to us in the playoffs? Or what Blake does to us every time we play the Clips. This is a low risk, high reward move. Why would he kill chemistry. He would WANT to be here, playing with friends and playing with the likes of a superstar in Harden that he has never had his entire career.

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Just don't shoot 3's and it's cool. Plus with Howard here, might even help him.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Can't post the tweet but Woj just retweeted that Smith isn't taking calls from non-playoff bound teams.

19. The Law

The Law Member

It doubles the length +1 year. So the Pistons pay him 13.5 mil this year and then 5.4 until 2019-20.

20. davidio840

davidio840 Member

Have you been watching the games this year? Harden's defense has been very good.