1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That'll be annoying if Llull costs us Brewer/Smith/Both

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am thinking that Smith stays at least one more year
    He seems to like it here
    and 2016 is the year to 'Cash in'

Rocket River

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

A player option is NEVER a good thing for an NBA team. If Brewer hadn't waived his player option, then he could play like crap (or get injured) and still force the Rockets to pay him $4.9M next year. If he outperformed his salary (which it looks like he may have done), he was always able to opt out and collect a bigger paycheck. There is literally NO UPSIDE to the Rockets in having his player option remain in place. The waiver of that option helped facilitate his trade to Houston, and for good reason.

Why would you be annoyed by that? It's not like Llull would FORCE the Rockets to sign him over re-signing another player. It's not like Daryl Morey and the Rockets' front office are idiots about the CBA and don't realize that a full MLE offer to Llull could possibly limit them elsewhere. It's not like the Rockets' front office couldn't weigh the risks and benefits of signing Llull versus re-signing another player when making their roster decisions.

Also, the Rockets will have Early Bird rights on Brewer. So, unless the Rockets will be close enough to the apron level AND Brewer's new salary is going to be on the high end (~$8 million?), it's not like there would be a "Llull or Brewer" either-or concern.

4. vince

vince Member

Every year brings new opportunities. Brewer and Josh Smith might move on to greener pasteurs of NBA riches next season; but this is a year when they can go for it all with the Rockets. For next year Capella and Dorsey will be much improved, and expected to contribute more.

In the age of the Salary Cap, it is about surrounding your core players with competent pieces.

Harden and Howard are the core group! And everyone else has a limited salary cap figure the Rockets can offer them.

Morey this year has proven beyond a doubt why he is at the top of his game. He did not get marquee names, but the team has withstood a barage of key injuries and is #2 in the west.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Seems to me that the Rockets could easily sign Llull to the MLE, resign Brewer with his early bird rights and offer Josh Smith the minimum+120% raise (plus the fact he is getting paid be Detroit). Josh appears to really enjoy playing in Houston and that culture fit plus the Rockets/Detroit salary "combined" seems like it would be fair. Which other contender is going to pay Josh big dollars that has a comparative fit?

The real question is KJ McDaniels as it relates to Llull and the MLE. Can the Rockets fit BOTH? Though, KJ is an RFA so that helps.

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What's the hype with Sergio Llull... you'd think he's on the level of Tony Parker or Steve Nash.

7. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

We'll hes a PG who isn't 37 years old, so I get the (apparent) Rockets interest in finally bringing him over.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I need to check his stats again

Rocket River

9. the shark

the shark Member

Can't say it enough how impressed I've been with Josh. Had reservations when it went down, but it was certainly worth the risk. We're not where we are right now without him.

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I thought he would be good because of the defense but I have been really impressed with the passing. He still has his silly moments but he is playing consistently level headed. I can't believe the bench they have compared to the beginning of the season.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I thought he had a great 2nd half in Dallas, one of the primary reasons we won IMO.

His Sacramento game was subpar, but I was saying that obviously everyone is going to have a bad game every now and then and that Smith has been a big addition to this team.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe he is on that level

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I think I'll bump this now ;)