1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Member

I don't see what's wrong with his statement. It's a real possobillty he won't be back. MLE money between KJ, him and now maybe Sergio? Can't afford all of them and each could demand the entire if not most of the non tax MLE. Even if reports of Sergio coming over aren't true fitting kj and smoove into the MLE will be unlikely unless smith take the vet min.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I never liked him, and said as much but I also said that we had to get him at that price point.

Glad it worked out - and glad he is playing within himself which was my biggest worry.

Got to credit McHale for that.

DD

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Josh Smith over his career shot 25% of his shots from 16 ft+, aka the long 2's. His career low was 19%.

He is shooting 7% of his shots from there with us. It's clear that he got the memo about the long 2's. So much for people saying he was far to stupid to make a simple adjustment.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm VERY glad that good Josh Smith has shown up a lot more than bad Josh Smith. Also, I'm glad to have been wrong in this instance because it helps the team. Smith deserves all the credit in the world for turning his play around and being better than I thought possible.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even with the low risk, high reward angle many posters were absolutely adamant that he was not better, fit or play, over guys like Black, Paps, Dorsey, etc. it was ridiculous to the nth degree.

That Morey and the Rockets have been trying to sign Smoove for years proves that they believed in his abilities and more importantly, fit, on this team. It was pure serendipity that they acquired him for a song. But those anti-Smoove posters who were spitting vile and falsehoods are the ones that should be on their knees and begging forgiveness for their dumbassery.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He has certainly changed his game, I honestly can't remember the last time he too a long two, he has really cut those out of his game.

He either pops a three (which he's been decent enough at to not make me complain about him shooting it) or gets to the hole.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I always knew Smith coming to Houston would be good and he would adjust his game to our style. Just like I always knew DMo would come good from when he got drafted. And like I knew Lin would not be a good fit with us. And like I knew Royce would be a horrible pick. And like I knew Stromile would not be good.

I'm pretty much a pro at knew.

8. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Member

The Rockets have been teaching the NBA (especially the Mavs) a lesson in popularity contests vs. reality. Look at the Mavs - traded Nelson, Crowder, Wright and acquired 'popular' choices in Rondo, Parsons, Stoudemire. The Rockets went targeting the more unheralded Ariza and JSmoove. Even with the myriad of injuries the Rockets have had to deal with, no doubt they outcalculated the Mavs on this one.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Smith is perfect and McHale and Morey have made him a weapon with the system.

Taking out his long twos has made him far more dangerous...

10. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

Anybody know Smith's numbers with Houston?

11. Dei

Dei Member

I think he should be playing with Dwight most of the time. I've never seen Dwight so involved in the offense or Smith get so many pinpoint passes leading to assists. They obviously know each other's game.

Heck, if Smith plays like he did the last game for the stretch of the season, I'll consider resigning him top priority in the offseason. I'd trade Terrence Jones/Kostas Papanikolaou to do it.

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

11.8ppg 5.9rpg 2.6apg 1.2bpg 0.9spg 25.3mpg 45 percent shooting, 34 percent from three, 50 percent from the foul line

1 person likes this.
  13. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

Thanks, kingkingston.

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Best post in the thread amongst the early haters. Bravo, sir.

15. seeingred

seeingred Member

It was good to see a Smith/Howard PnR in the TWolves game. Someone posted footage of Smith running it with Horford back in Atlanta and i think it's a good option when Harden is on the bench. Having the other team's 4 AND 5 both involved in a PnR (especially when Smith and Howard are running it) seems like a set up to a vicious throw down and easy buckets.

He's the most versatile player on this team and i like watching him play. He tries to thread the needle a lot - seems to work half the time. i don't mind it. i think a huge part of it failing is that is teammates aren't ready for the pass.

16. BigShasta

BigShasta Member

In a post game interview Smith mentioned that the team were his brothers. I know he loves Houston and the team. I don't think he leaves.

17. dc rock

dc rock Member

The Rockets once nearly traded Robert Horry to the Pistons. Were it not for a failed physical, Houston's championship season may have never transpired. http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1995-06-11/sports/1995162133_1_horry-rockets-power-forward

In a season that is becoming reminiscent of those glory days, the Pistons have, once again, indirectly given the Rockets a humbled/hungry forward they need for a long playoff run.

It's odd when you think about it. How all the pieces have to fall in place. Who knew the Pistons hiring of Stan Van Gundy last summer would mean so much to the Rockets today?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

The haters also failed to note that Smith was playing out of position at SF in Detroit.

Detroit was building around their young men so weren't going to move him.

He's clearly a PF.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The playing out of position argument can only be used to justify something DMo is deficient at. . . no one else gets to make that argument

*grin*

Rocket River

20. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

I like all the "I'm glad I was wrong" statements, lol. You wouldn't be if you could see yourselves through some of our eyes right now :D