1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith -- Why we like Player's Coaches like Rudy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Feb 7, 2015.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

This is a pretty good, well worded and decently thought out post.

But I always think it is a little bit humorous when we as random internet posters and have probably not even seen an NBA locker room, much less played any games, make posts that talk about what it would take for NBA players to want to play for a certain coach.

2. bongman

bongman Member

If a specific scientific theory is based on premises that falls short of making a definite conclusion, do we say we understand or do we say it's premature?

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

And you also don't know who a "random internet poster" is. I see it all the time with my friends, and their teams' respect to their coaches. I respect my coaches, but I know some who do not on my team. And it is evident to those who watch. You would be surprised of the difference. Some players absolutely hate their coach, and it makes a clear difference.

Based on their body language, and players, both former and others, wanting to play here, it is pretty clear.

Some of my friends are lucky to have a former NBA player as part of their coaching staff, and I hear about it. They know how to teach the game, and haven't heard anything to the contrary. A couple of peeps I know had a former NBA player as their big man coach, whom spoke out against some of the head coaches' strategies. When he was relieved, they were pissed. Also interesting to note the replacement wasn't up to snuff.

Do I know exactly what goes on in an NBA locker room? No. Similar experiences? You betcha. You never know who is on the other side. Believe what you want.

4. NotChandlerParsons

The difference between Rudy and McHale.

5. 34to11

34to11 Member

A retired coach (Rudy T) sharing his strategy after the fact
    versus an active coach (McHale) not openly revealing his tactics? :confused:

If anything this is further proof that, contrary to popular opinion, most, if not all, NBA coaches have strategies and tactics that frequently escape the average onlooker.

I can't tell you how ridiculous it is when dimwitted fans declare that a coach doesn't have or run plays because they aren't revealed in the sideline soundbites.

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Member

I'm not a good judge of coaching, but these results are hard evidence that things are going well for the Rockets. Any criticism should have an asterisk by it, and a note below saying "I'm only satisfied if we stomp Atlanta & Golden State & win the championship". Unfortunately, only one team wins each year and it is really freaking hard to do.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

And, from what I've seen on CF, whiners gonna whine.

8. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Yep, or cry baby whine when a certain player isn't in the game at certain times, e.g. DMo vs the Bucks near the end.

Ridiculous....but, dimwitted are going to be dim.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

Wasn't trying to say anything bad about you man. You obviously know more about coaching than I do. Thanks for sharing

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The problem is, we are the most simple team in the league from an offensive and defensive standpoint. Smart coaches double James and force someone else to shot from 3 late in the game with tired legs. What happens, you miss more than you make.