1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SportsWorld, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CyberX, wherever you are....what is the word on Josh Smith? Why did he leave?

2. Red Glares

Red Glares Member

Really Morey?? The last two years in free agency you've done zero!! You made that up last year at half season to pick up Brewer and J Smoove. Now our team is on the decline again. Les Alexander do you really want to win?

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This. Josh = very high highs and very low lows -- but at the end of the day, your franchise player asked for help in the playmaking department and we are getting even worse there, not better.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The people upset at Morey over this are hilarious.
    He's the same GM who picked up Smith last year, during the y ear.
    He's also the same GM who got a ton of heat last offseason, only to create by FAR the Rockets most successful season in nearly 20 years.

I'll give DM the benefit of the doubt on this.

Josh was great, when he was great. He was horrible, when he wasn't great.

All that doesn't mean the team still needs to improve at PF... which I honestly don't see happening. Maybe DM has a plan, though I suspect it's more like sign someone like Alan Williams (from the summer league) and wait to make a move either later in the pre-season, or during the season.

Which I'm fine with. Keeping Josh Smith, IMO, is not the difference between the Rockets getting to the Finals, and failing. Yes, he was VERY important in that game 6 win against the Clippers... but he was equally non-existent earlier in the series.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well this is a dickpunch.....this hurts us defensively BIG TIME. Are you seriously telling me we have to sit through an entire year of watching Terrence Jones try and play defense??

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We are now a worse team than last year wow. Clippers will be very good

7. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Josh Smith will sign with the Clippers. I was told Rockets didn't offer him the MLE they had available.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/621793338828693505">July 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People have to understand. You will always go as far as your stars take you, period. That's always the case.

Josh Smith did a lot of things for us...but if we were going to count on Smith turning into Magic Johnson/Dirk for brief spurts randomly in games then we were always in trouble.

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

If Dmo is healthy, Daryl will give him the max.

11. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

We just lost the second best playmaker from last year's squad. I know his game has some negative sides. But he was our best facilitator besides harden. I really hope money has something planned.

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

One of our only clutch players...

Wish he signed with the Kings

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Losing Smith absolutely sucks. He did his share in helping us win a lot of games. I am not sure sure what else Morey could have done to retain Smith's services, but this move is certainly not good for us.

14. thiefery

thiefery Member

I'm still in a wait & see approach. Last summer it looked like a disaster then Morey made some good moves throughout the season. There are assets that he can flip.

I'm starting to believe that he may be going after Lawson even though he's been drama.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As mentioned by <a href="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania">@ShamsCharania</a> Josh Smith to LAC for the minimum. Big boost to an already good Clipper bench.</p>&mdash; Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42) <a href="https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/621793236517015552">July 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Josh Smith will sign with the Clippers. I was told Rockets didn't offer him the MLE they had available.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/621793338828693505">July 16, 2015</a></blockquote>

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I'm sick to my stomach

17. gogispade

gogispade Member

is a S&T still possible? its would be nice if we could get Crawford in return?

18. Play07

Play07 Member

but for the vet MIN ???

19. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Let make sure we Hack a Smith when we play them this season.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The fact of the matter is that this team wouldn't have went the distance with free throw shooters like DH and Smith playing significant minutes anyway.

The loss hurts, but I think health with the pf's they currently have is a decent consolation prize. But I don't understand why he wouldn't have resigned here for the minimum. Why leave and do it somewhere else?