1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SportsWorld, Jul 16, 2015.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Is that why Smith went out of his way to praise McHale, after being here a season? IIRC, he said McHale truly believed in him and that meant a lot to him.

2. chandlerbang21

pisses me off to see clipper still attracting quality players with little cap

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Yes you have a point, but you also need to consider this : for that second highest usage rate that he got last season, some of them actually could be more efficient if they were shared by other players.

His defense contributed more to this team and his offense at times could be good, but it isn't as godly as you would expect and sometimes it actually could be our enemy.

4. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

This loss shows the Rockets have a lot of trust in D-Mo going forward.

But it also makes me think why he took the less money? Bad blood in the locker room?

5. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Bet doc sold him on playing SF, which i think he should of backed ariza

Bev/thorton/terry
    Harden/brewer
    Ariza/smith
    Jones/Dmo
    Howard/Capella

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Randy Johnson - won title
    Carlos Beltran - Nothing
    Ron Artest - Won Title
    Josh Smith - ???

7. PointZero

PointZero Member

He was happy here.

However, Morey made clear the team's priorities were Sergio Llull and KJ McDaniels. They got offered the Rocket's MLE. Josh didn't.

So he left. Didn't matter what the Clippers could pay him. He left on principle. Morey made clear the Rockets didn't value him as much as Llull and McDaniels.

Morey offered more money to Brewer, Llull and McDaniels. Morey valued those three players over Smith.

Seeing that he wasn't a Rocket's priority, he left out of principle.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Josh!

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Their core is just better than ours.

CP3, Griffin, Jordan. That's top 5 players in 3 spots.

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Yes, that's obvious.

If you are counting the top 3 players on both team, I totally agree with you that the Clips are a better team.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if this post was meant as a joke or not, but it was still pretty funny so I thank you for it.

12. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

This is bad news, not what I wanted to wake up to. Smith was a fantastic acquisition, and the fact he left for less money at the vet min cuts deep. It may seem irrational but I can't help but feel upset with Morey. We all know he is working hard behind the scenes to make our team better, but what was he doing with the Smith situation? Nothing for weeks on end and then we lose him to a rival for peanuts. If that's the kind of respect we showed to smoove, I don't blame him for going at all, in fact I hope he continues his career revival, I am really happy for him. Once again however I feel like we just let a big part of our team go for "flexibility". KJ may be a nice prospect but I could not give a damn about him staying over smoove at this point in time. I found it insulting that KJ was getting offered the MLE over smith. I'm just really disappointed by this, our offseason had been solid up until this point in time but I feel like we really dropped the ball on this one. There's no way smoove leaves if we offer him all or part of the MLE. Shattered. An elite defensive player who could make plays and get hot from downtown, and we just.... Let him go?

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Astros did not let go of the Big Unit and Beltran,

they choose other teams and there is nothing we can do.

In the case of Josh, we did give him up.

Its different.

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

LOL you don't know that at all

15. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Funny how cyberx said Rockets were sure about bringing Josh back, but not Brewer..

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I'm not saying that I'm glad he's gone. Would have loved him back at his 2.5 million deal, but THIS is probably THE reason he left.

Not money.
    Not Morey.
    Not Les.
    Not Dwight or anyone else on the team other than Dmo.

I think they made it clear that Dmo or a future upgrade were going to get the majority of the PF minutes and that Smith easily could see some DNPs.

And there is nothing wrong with the teams decision to go with that game plan or Josh making the decision he made. Dmo is the better player. Better shooter by a mile.

17. s.b713

s.b713 Member

This certainly makes a bigger need for a playmaker. Smith helped a little on that end with his passing.

18. NotChandlerParsons

Trying to sign players at positions of need instead of the one where we have a bunch of guys who play good on rookie contracts. What was Morey thinking?

19. Victorious

Victorious Member

I don't know about that man, seeing that we didnt land LMA, which was a long shot anyway, he would have got plenty of playing time. Especially if Jones was going to get traded. Depend on the health of D-Mo, he might have been starting. Rockets wanted him back and Smith was not going to be sum bum at the end of the bench, collecting DNPs.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Alan Williams must play!