1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith - should the team go after him in the offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crimmy88, Mar 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Convictedstupid

I dont see it being AS bad.

It would make Atlanta players for sure in the 2010 FA race with 23 mill coming off the books.

2. King901

King901 Member

They'd fire the coach before they trade him.

3. faraza84

faraza84 Member

hes a good player, i could see a sign and trade for him with artest, artest would be back with bibby and i could see atlanta liking the chemistry with that. josh smith i think would be valuable because he can take it to the rack, he can penetrate and thats something we lack since tmac's leg problems. hes also a defensive threat at the post. i wouldnt mind having him but i really like artest and what he brings to the team. josh smith is young so thats a plus side, we need to get younger as a team and support yao with a good enough cast so he doesnt think of bailing in 2010

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'm not a fan of trades at this point. All we really have to give up is Tracy McGrady and Brian Cook. And if we can actually find a trade partner for Tracy, we could very well find a better pick up then Josh Smith, despite his talents, he isn't all that big of an acquisition that I'd want to trade for him.

5. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Tmacs expiring contract. Im lovin it. :D

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what exactly happened between him and the coach? Perhaps it was overblown and they have patched things up? I dont remember hearinf any rumors about smith during the deadline, so i think they may be on good terms now..

7. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I said in the off season when this guy was waiting on a contract that we should try to get him but people said his this and that. The guy is a great ball player and that's that but we won't be getting him for sure now.

8. OlajuwonShake34

Altercation during halftime on Friday against the Bobcats, Here is evidence

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/2009/03/06/hwks_lose_bobcats.html

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Josh Smith won't be on the trading block this offseason. Mike Woodson will be on the chopping block instead. Smith's ability and his very reasonable long-term contract make him a valuable commodity.

10. engr chris

engr chris Member

We dont need hi m. We already have James White

11. Kooshie

Kooshie Member

Being that we are "clutch city", Josh Smith would further add depth to our "clutchness"

Check out this game winning play by yours truly: J-Smoov

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wLsHMb-tnNI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wLsHMb-tnNI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No way in hell Atlanta would do that. They are doing well so why give most of your core. If they did that, they would have to go into rebuilding mode because there is no way JJ resigns with them the following season.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't know.

He falls in love with his shot and i'd really only trade Tmac for him. I hope we resign Artest personally.

He's versatile and can play some positions, I like him but I wonder just how good he can become.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I watch the Hawks a lot. I can tell you Josh's move to the three is somewhat inevitable. Given that we're potentially set at the four I suppose this move is feasible from a 'fit' standpoint. I still have a hard time seeing why the Hawks give up on him though. Especially in a contract year for their current three, Marvin Williams. If they sign Marvin long-term, I guess I can see it. Otherwise....no way.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's no good.

He's a hybrid forward which will necessitate having another hybrid forward.

He's not strong enough at the 4. You say he has quickness, but his quickness hasnt translated into efficient scoring from the 4 spot. Nor has he ever been able to rebound well enough as a 4.

He's not quick enough for the 3 spot, nor has he been able to translate his size into efficient scoring at the 3 spot. His shotblocking becomes less valuable here.

He can't hit the 3, plain and simple. He tries and he practices, but it's shown no improvement despite him working super hard on it for two summers now.

The guy will always leave something to be desired. He will come up with the flash play, but over a season, he's not a starter IMO unless he plays with Steve Nash or Mike D'Antoni.

He would be one HELL of a 6th man though. Basically if he's the primary backup at the 3 and 4, going up against bench guys, changing tempo and creating mismatches, he would be superb. I would love for him to back up Scola and Battier playing 30+ minutes every night. But I don't think that's worth what he's getting paid.

16. dlite316

dlite316 Member

if morey can get smith with tmac's expiring contract, hell yes...

17. kookoo4tofu

kookoo4tofu Member

i think smith is a very talented player but he still needs to refine his game a bit and get more serious about working harder to reach the potential that so many people say he has. i've seen a few ATL games last year and all i remember is that the guy had some horrible shot selections. i was like damn, no wonder his fg% is so crappy. but anyway, i havent seen him play much since so maybe he's improved on that.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Woodson goes way before Smith does. They aren't trading him