1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith - should the team go after him in the offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crimmy88, Mar 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Hes probably on the trading block this coming offseason with the whole issue of him against Mike Woodsen (their coach).. Apparently most Hawks fans believe that between the two, it will be Josh who will be gone in the offseason if ever one of them were to leave.

Anyway, do you guys think he'd be a good fit here in our team if ever Josh does get traded? and who'd you be willing to give up for him?

2. OlajuwonShake34

No, because he's a player similar to Shawn Marion. He's great in the run and gun game, but he's only so-so in grind it out half-court offense.

I wouldn't mind trading T-Mac for him, but I would not risk signing Smith over Artest. Unless you want Yao out of this team, I don't see why you would want J-Smoove, especially when we have a lot of depth at the small forward and power forward position.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I agree with some of what the previous poster stated but if we could bring in a player with the raw talent/athleticism of Josh Smith for a reasonable price, I would do it without a doubt. I'd take the risk of attitude problems/selfish play/4-year contract.

As much as I like Artest, Smith is much younger with enormous upside. Weakside help and shotblocking would no longer be an issue on the defensive end. That's for sure.

This would be a pretty interesting lineup:

Lowry - Brooks
    Wafer - ??
    Smith - Battier
    Scola - Landry
    Yao - ??

I think we'd still need an upgrade at SG (I'd love to get Kevin Martin but I know that won't happen for several reasons). Wafer would be our JR Smith type scorer off the bench to team up with Brooks and Landry.

#3 BrooksBall, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  4. Kooshie

Kooshie Member

Josh Smith is either my favorite or second favorite player outside the rockets organization. Him and Joe Johnson are the reason the Hawks are my number 2 team.

I would kill to have J-Smoov throw it down for us here in Houston

5. BrooksBall

I would kill to have Smith become a more heady player to compliment his incredible athleticism and talent here in Houston.

The highlight reel throw downs and stuffs would just be bonuses.

6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I don't see much the Hawks would like in return for him. If he does go on the block, I'm sure there are other teams that can offer up more than we can...unless Atlanta is very intrigued by Tracy (contract) or Ron.

7. OlajuwonShake34

Agreed, I don't see why the Hawks wouldn't re-sign him. They are built around J-Smoove and Joe Johnson. We are too old of a team to return a player for J-Smoove. The only player could possibly trade is probably Aaron Brooks to get him, I don't see who else they could be interested in.

You guys have to think about what the other team wants back too, not just what we want.

8. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

His shooting is always a question for me. A guy who shoots 55% from the line can be a liability on the court at crunch time. Unless we're going to be a run and gun team I just don't know how effective he would be with the current situation. I would take him don't get me wrong but I think what Atlanta would want for him wouldn't be worth giving up.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think with the way we have been playing, Artest is gonna stay here and we will turn McGrady's contract into raises for our core and a solid 10-15 million dollar added star. It will be very interesting to follow what happens and how Morey plays this.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tmac for Smith and Bibby in a sign and trade please.

DD

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's my hope as well. I want to ask who should/could the Rockets go for realistically if Ron wants to leave for another team in let's say a sign and trade or FA?
    I'm not implying that management should go for Josh Smith(a good player) who may not be a good fit even if the salaries match.

12. BrooksBall

They already did. He's signed through 2012-13.

13. Exiscion

Exiscion Member

That would be a dream come true, but I doubt Atlanta would do it given McGrady's condition is still indeterminable after the surgery.

14. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

15. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Is JSmooth a good fit for this team? Is he a half-court or transition player? Does he play well with a dominant big man? Is he a ball-stopper or punctually passes the ball? Does he have great court vision like Tmac or a true point guard or does he not have high bball IQ? I don't watch many Hawks games but his reputation is of one who plays inconsistent defense and has poor shot selection. From this thread I learned he has had run-ins with authority and is a poor free throw shooter. Does Josh Smith really compliment the players on this team who remain after acquiring him? Is Josh Smith a championship team player or merely a Dominique Wilkins?

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, of course this is all academic, but Josh Smith, I think, has the sort of talent the team was looking for before the trade deadline. I think they looked at Camby/Stoudemire etc. They do need athleticism and shot-blocking to complement Yao, we just don't have it.

But Josh Smith will only be made available if they really want to dump salary (Tslack) and take on our young talent (Landry? Scola?) in return.

EDIT: Looking at the post before mine now: Smith has the talent that we need but at what cost? And yes, he's had some maturity issues, but I don't know what's become of all that this year. His basketball IQ isn't off the charts. A hell of a talent, though.

17. OlajuwonShake34

Josh Smith is a transition player, similar to Shawn Marion. He can block shots, but he is not a good shooter so he won't be able to spread the floor.

If we get Josh Smith, he would probably be best used in the 2nd unit, because that unit runs and guns. I don't see why the Hawks would trade him in the 1st place, I don't think Smith is whining about playing there anyways. The Hawks are built around Josh Smith and Joe Johnson, I don't see why they would trade him.

18. HakeemtheDream9

Josh Smith is one the most gifted players in the NBA and we have no chance at getting him in Houston, if you create a thread, please think before you type

19. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

I saw the numbers would work on that too... but damn that would be like the Gasol trade.

20. OlajuwonShake34

Except Grizzlies didn't get destroyed in the Salary cap. :)