1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Josh Smith Meeting With Rockets Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

My bad but that just isn't enough for Smith I can assure you

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Smith needs to take a discount because he's playing for a team he always wanted to play for and it's with the possibility of playing with his pal Dwight.

Discount.

3. izeroi

izeroi Member

[​IMG]

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Not sure if it's just the media putting their spin on things, but I heard that the big 3 planned this years in advance.

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Haha... Seriously, that is passed insulting and just a stupid offer for Josh. Morey is not stupid. Morey knows what the market is and while he might try to underbid slightly he would not insult Josh Smith with such an offer. Especially considering this is all part of the Howard Plan.

6. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Those 3 guys met and decided they wanted to play together. They were willing to take a pay cut to win. I don't know if Howard or Smith would be willing to do that. But even if they don't, I think we can still land both by parting with Asik and Lin.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting how much is going on in LA with the Rockets Brass and Legends Tour. Anyone know if the whole crew is still there. You'd think they would be, at least for a couple of days.

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah man -- it's like Lob City -- except the people catching those lobs actually rebound and play defense.

Also, as much as I am worried about adding Smith, there are three things very mitigating to my fears -- 1) I think it is the price of getting Dwight, 2) The deal he gets will be 4 years at the most -- which means we will have him from 27 to 31, prime years (I love the new CBA), and 3) Smith and Howard on defense is going to be very solid -- we will match up well with every team no matter if they play small or big.

I really hate to lose Asik, and would even go so far as to say I disagree with the Asik for Smith trade, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get Dwight. And if we are able to essentially trade Asik and Robinson for Dwight and Smith, I think our win total at the end of the season will thank us.

9. corby

corby Contributing Member

So we have to so a sign-and-trade with the Hawks.

We package Asik and Royce White (as filler), then we can offer Josh Smith a multiyear contract starting at around $11M.

If the Hawks are convinced that Smith will leave outright, and they will get nothing in return otherwise, this is a no-brainer for them. Asik is a great value, and a better player than anyone who is going to sign with them in free agency.

But how is Josh Smith going to convince the Hawks he might bolt? Are they really scared that he would sign a free agent contract with the Pistons?

10. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Kinda weird that you can assure us of what someone else you do not know at all would do...

11. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

To get Josh to come here we're gonna have to get rid of Lin and Asik. I say S&T Asik and T-Jones for Smith on a deal around $56-$60M over 4 years. Then S&T Lin and James Anderson for Calderon. We could then bring back Garcia. Maybe Delfino. Or bring in Dunleavy and Brewer.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Strange that this hasn't been reported by anyone else by now.

13. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Josh Smith will not make 15 mil in my opinion thats to much money

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Marc Spears LOL

Don't trust him!

15. pwnyxpress

Did you just quote the same msg twice to get two digs in? lulwut?

I could see Smith agreeing to ~$12.5M a yr to play on the Rockets w/ Dwight. He's expressed interest in our team before, and that was before his good friend Dwight would be joining (in theory). Winning means something to players -- how much depends. Keep in mind that we don't have state income tax and that applies to Smith as well.

I know he's said before he thinks he is a "max contract player," but then he ALSO said that if he doesn't view himself as a max contract guy, who else would? And that of course he's willing to negotiate down. So the fact that Smith will ONLY sign for the max is completely overblown.

Add in the fact that the new cba makes EVERYONE hold onto their cash more fervently...you just can't guarantee that Smith will get a max offer out there. He might get something a bit shy of that, maybe $14.5M a yr, in which case, yes he's taking less w/ us, but not THAT much less to be on a team that would be a contender (vs. whoever else is offering that higher amount...DET? lmfao).

Worst comes to worst, we can package Asik w/ White or more likely one of DMo/TJones in the SnT to increase the amount to anywhere up to $15M. I'm not a fan of that (unless it is White), but that'd seal the deal I'm sure if Dwight were already locked in.

16. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

12.5 is the most id pay for Jsmith

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sure, Josh could get more than this from someone else. The question is, whether someone else can give him a decent chance at winning.

Choices:

1) 14-16M and a first round exit
    2) 11-12M and title contender

18. pwnyxpress

? Why would we need to get rid of $16.6M to get Josh Smith? We can offer up to 150% of outgoing salaries. Asik + White (or one of DMo/TJones) would let us offer up to $15M a yr to him. You think Smith wouldn't agree to that to play on our team, esp. if Dwight is here?

19. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

He's not gonna take $12-13M.... he'll only take that if Dwight is there. I even doubt he takes that.

20. Fighton

Fighton Member

asik and lin account for 16mil of your cap space. i think it'd be a bit of a challenge to find a starting caliber PG AND josh smith for 16mil combined. Josh himself will probably account for like 13, no? that leaves 3 for another pg.