1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith Meeting With Rockets Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

First that shot chart doesn't show you if he is open. I watched a lot of film on Smith and in Atlanta's offense he was a primary ball handler who dribble shot alot of contested shots all the way out behind the arc.

That role has to be changed and will be changed on the Rockets. Take the ball out of Smith's hands and his percentages go up without doing anything.

Behind the arc he shot 33% in those yellow areas. But again many of those were contested threes where he dribbled and then shot a three. If you watch film when he caught and shot his percentages went way up. I only know this from watching a lot of film on him.

I simple strategy would be to take the ball out of his hands except in transition where he shoots better than 62%, have him almost exclusively catch and shoot on the top and upper right side and watch his numbers rise. I wouldn't be surprised to see his 3 pt percentage jump near the 40's if he does that.

He just has to buy into it. That's all. I don't know if he will but he might. It won't be like he is trying to earn another contract anytime soon. In Atlanta it kind of seemed like they didn't have a clue offensively. They had some good shooter and low block scorers but the pretty much played one on one basketball. And it wasn't just Smith. It's amazing how Korver shot so well from behind the arc because so often he was guarded when he shot. (Can we get Korver please) So maybe will buy into the Rockets system and be a great addition or maybe not but IMO his shot is as good as Battier if he only had the smarts as Battier to not take bad shots. If he won't then we don't need him.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Smith is a unique talent. I read a stat yesterday that he is the ONLY player in the history of the NBA to have career averages of at least 17 points 8 boards 4 assists 2 blocks and 1 steal. He brings a lot to the court. With true superstar talent getting their touches his averages will fall a bit but his energy and defense will still be there. Hopefully winning and our locker room environment would keep him content.

3. Adam_Sweeney

Adam_Sweeney Member

Good stuff and I watch film of Smith as well. :) So what you're saying is that he took a lot of contested shots from outside of the lane. What exactly stops him from driving or electing to catch and shoot? The dude shoots over 65% when he gets to the rim but is less than 30% from the three or on his jumper. He chooses to take these shots and bail out the defender. I swear, it's like Ron Artest all over again. His combo of size and athleticism should give him carte blanche to attack and destroy his defender. I would love to see him go a la LeBron James and commit to efficient shot selection. Maybe it happens with the Rockets. If it does, I will be the first to applaud him. As it is, he hasn't figured it out.

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, he doesn't seem like a bad dude and he always plays hard which I am always surprised of when I see him play. I think the knucklehead label is a little overblown with him but it may be his bball IQ that most people question. I think Morey and the coaching staff can make him see the light if he comes here. Maybe his previous coaches let him get away with shooting 20 footers but our MO is either dunk it or shoot the 3 when wide open. There is no in between.

5. Adam_Sweeney

Adam_Sweeney Member

[​IMG]

You can put lipstick on the pig all you want. It still ain't pretty.

6. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

The guy would be the perfect fit next to Howard.

7. smr6

smr6 Member

Absolutely defesively, not so much offensively. However, I think its worth it to have the best defensive frontcourt in the NBA when you still have Harden, Howard, and even Parsons to compensate on offense.

8. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

I suspect being the 3rd option on a team will cause that picture to look a lot prettier.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The Houston Rockets told Atlanta Hawks free-agent forward Josh Smith during their meeting Monday in Los Angeles that they will make him a contract offer if they don’t sign Los Angeles Lakers free-agent center Dwight Howard, a league source told Yahoo! Sports. Yahoo! Sports

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#GRou1ItgFSviKIG2.99

So it's one or the other? :(

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

They Spurs gave Lebron the 4 time MVP all the jump shots he wanted and he didn't start making them until game 6 and 7. Imagine what Josh Smith is going to look like wether it's a catch and shoot or dribble and shoot. I don't trust Josh Smith for the max money being the 3rd or 4th option on this team. Dwight, Harden, Smith/Chandler.

Also the other team would just sit in Dwights lap the whole night letting Smith shoot away from outside. He has to change his game to fit what we are looking for.

11. smr6

smr6 Member

We won't be running our offense through Josh Smith like the Heat do through LeBron so I don't really see how the comparison works.

12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Different set of players over here. You gotta stop Harden on penetrations first. Parsons on kick outs. Stop the PnR with Harden or Lin off Howard or Smith (if they come) I think we tend to have more movement to our offense than the Heat do. They give it to LeBron and stand back and watch him.

13. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

1. I doubt that info has been leaked as accurate.
    2. Even if it is, it doesn't preclude a sign and trade situation after a Howard deal.

14. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Why is Al Jefferson not our next target?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's horrible at defense.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

two 50% free throw shooters... EPIC!!

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Matador defense

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think if you sit Smith down and really give him guidance about what is a good shot and what isn't you could really wind up with a great player.

19. smr6

smr6 Member

Playing for a coach who was a HOF player at his position would help some, but of course their play styles and physical abilities are extremely different.

20. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

i think ppl have been trying this ever since he's come to the league.