1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith, Jason Terry and Corey Brewer want to return to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leangle25, May 29, 2015.

1. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

As they all should. with a 100% healthy rockets team, other than maybe swapping jones and 1-2 other players outside of our starters for a point guard, we should lock down our roster and focus on chemistry.

2. Asian Sensation

Good. I love all 3 of them.

3. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Brewer & Josh say they hope it works out, so I'm not convinced and I'm sure they're aware of Morey's history. Also, no way Josh goes back to the bench now so he can leave. Terry can be a third string in case of injury.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I want to keep Josh. His chemistry with Dwight is too great. I'll tak a whole season on Josh to D12 alley oops! Josh/DMo is a solid pf rotation.

Brewer I'd love to keep, but doubt the money is gonna work out - esp if we retain Smith...

JT I would pass on - another year slower... Maybe for the vet min as 3rd string...

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Brewer was quietly pretty terrible in the playoffs.

I do wonder if his over reliance on the fast break is a crutch for him.

6. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I don't think Smoove starting is a necessity, though. He was inserted in to the starting lineup because Jones was struggling. Chances are D-Mo is back starting next year, Jones is gone (I hope) and he's relegated to coming off the bench again. He might could be cool with that

7. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I want Trevor Ariza to stay!

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Jones is a great energy guy off the bench in spurts. Not sure if he can do it consistently but he is still young. That said, DMO's height and length plus D and shooting ability would have made a huge difference in this series. We would still be playing or have closed out the first two games. It also really bugs me that we didn't get to see Beverley on Curry. He scares the crap out of his opponents and gets in their heads which is what we needed to throw this team off and get an advantage on the court. I would love to see the whole team back and healthy and see what they can do next year with the new found chemistry. Morey is going to make changes though. That you can be sure of.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Terrible is a little harsh. He was terrific in the Dallas series. He played well in every game, and even scored 15 points in the first 3 games(all of which the Rockets won). It doesn't get more consistent than that.

He did suck in the first 4 games vs the Clippers, but then again, so did most of the team. The Rockets collectively played maybe 6 quarters worth of quality basketball during that stretch. Brewer was outstanding in the final 3 games of the series, and was a big reason for their comeback(especially in Game 6).

No argument about the Warriors series. Brewer WAS terrible. He was one of the only Rockets hustling out there in the 4th quarter of Game 5 and I respect him for that, but he struggled badly the rest of the time.

So I'd say he was good-to-great for half the postseason and awful the rest of the time. Kinda like how he was during the regular season. If a better wing player is available this summer, I'm fine with the Rockets going after him. But otherwise, you bring back Brewer as long as it's for a reasonable amount. He's a solid enough contributor off the bench that you don't wanna lose him.

10. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I want Josh Smith gone. His positives don't outweigh his negatives, and while we can get away with that in the regular season, he's easily exposed in a 7 game playoff series.

I'm good with Terry and Brewer coming back if the deals are reasonable.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Brew is the only guy i want back

12. Classic

Classic Member

Like the clippers series?

13. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I'm not too sure about Brewer's status on the team. The KJ trade makes him expendable, and I don't necessarily see why the Rockets would prefer older veterans over younger and more developmental talent.

14. gogispade

gogispade Member

Parsons said the same exact thing and look where is he now

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Terry - one job: make shots or more importantly, make your wide open shots. And when you don't, you're worthless on the court. But by all means, a great leader & locker room voice on a team lacking them. Best suited as a 15th man/player-coach.

Brewer - When he is not gambling defensively or running like a greyhound offensively ... ???

Smith - It's Josh Smith's world on the court and we're all just livin' in it. :grin:
    No, no, no, no, YESSS!!!
    No, no, no, no, no, please pull him already!

1 person likes this.
  16. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Brewer and Terry back for sure. Smith, I'm not sure. In a vacuum I say no because I feel in the playoffs you need guys that take care of the ball and play with consistency, but because of the stretch provision we could essentially get this guy for a couple mil...hard to pass on that. Hopefully he also improves a little more as he continues to build chemistry and understand his role. At the end of the day though Dmo needs to start and play 30+ minutes. If Josh doesn't want to accommodation that..bye felicia

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

All pro-McHale guys.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

so freaking tru LOL; but i like when Brew runs like a greyhoud ;)

19. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

All three of these guys were vital in our push to the WCF. They are amazing role players, but with our injuries, they were asked to do more than they are capable of.

Smith and Brewer are inconsistent, and because of that, we had some brutal stretches of ball in the playoffs. If we can get a second playmaker (Lawson, Lowry, Llull) and a wing that can shoot, in addition to Bev and DMo returning, these three will not be tasked with producing every night.

When Brew is creating turnovers and running around the court like a madman, he injects energy into the team and gives us easy looks. When he is bricking his threes and layups, you can put in another wing (McDaniels, new FA signing) to right the ship. You have the luxury of sitting Smith before he goes 2-13 in the first half, and riding the hot hand when he is on.

The question is whether or not Brew and Smith are willing to accept a backseat role (especially after Smith starting in the playoffs). If so, then this team can compete with anybody, especially with such an explosive bench.