1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith is NOT a low "IQ" player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I don't mind as long as Dmo still gets a decent amount of minutes. Dudes post game has been great, hes very fluid and a load for most

2. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Do you also think of Kobe Bryant as a low "IQ" player?

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Why are you trying to compare Kobe Bryant to Josh Smith?

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

because they now shoot about the same percentage on jump shots

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

One is a badly faded 'superstar' who has a track record of being a pretty decent player from that range and the other is relatively healthy PF who has a track record of being inefficient from there.

Let's not get confused about this. Josh Smith for the Bi-Annual exception is an amazing pickup. But he is still not without weaknesses, and those weaknesses won't disappear just cause he's wearing red now

6. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

Josh Smith is definitely a low IQ player. Have you watched him play? Definition of basketball black hole.

7. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

you mean someone like Kobe?

8. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Is there a any player on the rockets roster (or perhaps in the entire NBA) without weaknesess?

9. omgTHEpotential

Except Kobe is actually a winner.

10. Farhan583

Farhan583 Member

I don't understand why you keep bringing Kobe into this. You've done this like 6 times in the thread. I think it's generally acknowledged by even the mainstream media at this point that Kobe is hurting his team. So you're comparing Smoove to someone who people know is hurting their team. Not a great comparison.

I have hope for Smoove though...I used to go to Hawks games a lot and he was always super fun to watch. It'd be nice to see him have a renaissance in Houston.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is a difference between a guy who is missing shots he made for more than a decade and a guy who keeps taking shots he's missed for a decade.

One is washed up, the other is a poor decision maker with the ball.

12. Michigan

Michigan New Member

Mostly I was just curious to see how the Rockets fans felt about the signing, but this post prompted me to sign up and respond.

The Pistons have been a mess since Davidson died and the team was sold to Gores. Dumars did everything he could to mangle a roster. Drummond has had 4 coaches and this is only his 3rd NBA season. The post above suggests he is regressing, which I would argue against. Drummond has finally learned how to rotate defensively. His low shooting can be attributed to plays being run for him in the low post. How can a 21 center develop if he never gets the ball? Very encouraging stuff from Drummond over the past month, it's nice to see him actually be coached. Mo Cheeks was out to lunch.

As for Josh Smith:

I see the majority of this thread was discussing Smith's basketball IQ. So as a diehard Pistons fan, here is my take.

The bad first:

-Horrible in the half court setup. Whether he is playing at the 3 or the 4 he tries to stretch. Teams don't really guard him outside of 10 feet, which entices Smith to take those long twos. Everytime he would get ready to fire the Palace would groan "noooooooooo." It's not surprising when he misses the rim on multiple occasions in a game.
    -I don't really need to go over this shooting, you guys seem to have that covered, but it's as bad as advertised. But what's been most disappointing his how many bunnies he has missed. Open under the rim shots, especially right handed, that he just wasn't converting.
    -Smith is entering some uncharted territory with his free throw shooting. Maybe it's mental, but it hasn't been good at all.

The good:

-He is good in transition. Him and Drummond had a very good lob game going, and I suspect he can find that chemistry with Howard as well, no one found Drummond for the lob better than Josh Smith.
    -OK defensively. I saw a lot of talk about how good Smith is defensively, and I don't mean to rain on any parades, but I think it is overstated. Smiths athleticism has attenuated, he doesn't quite jump out of the gym as he used to. But he is a good help side defender. One on one he can get pretty lazy.
    -Passing is a strong suit, but he can also be pretty careless with the ball and create some ugly looking turnovers.

Overall:

Let's be clear, the Pistons are a mess right now, no one was really the alpha dog, and Josh Smith wasn't good enough to be that guy, even though he wanted to be. Houston already has Howard and Harden, Smith doesn't need to lead the charge. Smith had a usage rate of 26% on offense for the Pistons, by far the most on the team. SVG has done a better job of keeping Smith off the 3-point line, but he still loves to take those long twos that make every fan lose their mind. If you're looking at the hoop from the top of the key, smith is good operating from the left block. He has a nice spin move that gets him to the basket. If he is in the right block he can make it work by going to lefty hook, but he really struggles when he spins right and uses that right hand.

Smith can be useful if isn't the Smith the Pistons or Hawks saw. Operate from the block and don't get lazy on rotation shifts on defense (something he got benched for twice this year).

As for the IQ. Josh Smith at best is an average IQ player, most accurately would be slightly below average. However, he plays as if he is an elite IQ, and it just isn't the case. Pistons fans are happy he is gone, but we are looking to develop young talent. You all want to win now. Smith can help, if he placates, I will certainly be curious to see how it plays out. No doubt Smith has something to prove now. Can't feel good to the ego to have a team pay you $26M just to go away.

1 person likes this.
  13. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

I mentioned Kobe only twice... the fact that you claim that I mentioned him 6 times means your not mentaly present and as such not qualified for sound reasoning on the topic...perhaps this is the very reason you dont understand why I mentioned Kobe?

14. baubo

baubo Member

I don't know if I agree with him, but why do people have trouble understanding his reasoning? To me what he's saying is simple.

Kobe has high BBIQ and chucks.
    Josh Smith chucks.
    Hence, chucking does not automatically imply low BBIQ.

Perhaps Smith is an a-hole. Perhaps he thinks too little of his teammates. Perhaps he severely overrates his own abilities... There are many reasons why he would put up terrible shots.

But that doesn't automatically mean he's stupid on the basketball court.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The way that "low/high IQ player" is thrown around on this site and by fans strips it of any objective meaning. So it basically just boils down to a player you like (high IQ player) vs a player you don't like (low IQ player). The fact of the matter is anyone with 10 plus years in the NBA has a high basketball IQ. You don't make it in the league that long if you don't, and your exposure to the game is beyond extensive.

Every player makes bone headed plays, wiffs on defensive possessions, and turns the ball over. Those players that can't keep those occurances to a minimum are your low IQ players. And they find themselves at the end of the bench or out of the league.

16. spankz141

spankz141 Member

17. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I'm convinced that those who believe Josh Smith is a "low iq player" have never actually seen him play on a consistent basis.

18. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

I'm convinced you actually never seen him play. He is a low IQ player. Doesn't change ust because he is now a member of the Rockets.

He constantly make bone headed decision. A lot of times he takes long jumpers when there is a lane straight to the rim.

19. omgTHEpotential

If we acquired Hedo Turkoglu ClutchFans would convince themselves he's an NBA player again.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's ****ing intelligent. He only shoots 3s and does lay ups.