1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith: Is he the third man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Is Josh Smith the third man?

1. Yes

132 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

i dont think you understand there is perhaps only 1-2 shooters on the rockets better than Josh Smith...almost everyone is cold on rockets in long stretches... almost everyone on the rockets is taking bad shots or missing open looks game in game out...so why does it matter if now Jsmoove chucks them as well as long as he is helping team in other areas as tonight was the case...he played a key part in tonights win

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Third guy is not always necessary. Heat 2006. Rockets 1994 and 1995. Bad Boys, 1989 and 1990. I would even say the all 6 Bulls b/c Grant was never a superstar and Rodman was rebounds/defense, although so good at both that you could consider him the 3rd guy. Regardless of his play tonight, Howard is still a solid #2, and Smith is like a Horace Grant #3 rather than a James Worthy #3.

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Because there will always be that stat w**** looking for something to b***ch.... Smith played a great overall game......

4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Scott Hall most underrated wrestler in history.

As far as Josh Smith...he is the third man my friends. He isn't as good as Bosh or Melo but for this offense and this system he is the 3rd man. I don't think there is any doubt about it.

5. reliableman

reliableman Member

Well said.

6. mario_v

mario_v Member

I'm not a josh smith guy but some of those passes he made were pretty impressive. I did not know he had that kind of passing ability.

7. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

That was Morey's original plan back in 2013 when we got Dwight, to also get Smith. If Morey originally thought a three of Harden - Howard - Smith is good enough, I don't have much doubt in Morey's ability.

I think he gives what you want in a third star. Not all third stars need to be on the level of Bosh or Melo or Love. OKC is doing just fine with Ibaka as a distant third option, and that's how it'll be in Houston. Harden as option number 1, Howard as a far 2nd and Smith as a distant 3rd. If we do go with Smith as our third option, we must keep this type of solid rotation (the Arizas, Bevs, Brewers, DMos and such)

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

People are actually complaining about him taking what? 3-4 jump shots?

You can't always attack the paint because you are predictable. You have to keep the defense honest. If he took half his shots from distance I would understand, but you would have to be a moron for complaining about a couple of jumpers.

And those 21 shots were mostly at the rim, and alot of them were in an outs. Heck that attempt number would've been lower had the ref actually called the foul when he got hacked couple of times at the rim.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Josh Smith > Harden > Dwight.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If he cuts out the horrible three point and long range jump shots he would be an amazing player. He's got a ton of talent and if he could just tone it down a tad he would fit in perfectly.

11. mario_v

mario_v Member

Harden= Hogan

Howard = kevin Nash

Jsmoove = Scott hall

New world order?

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We ask for more because we don't just want a awesome team that competes with the best and has just a shot at the title. We want a championship, multiple championships... and that means we need more. And this IS nba2K15 to Morey, in fact, the way Morey has built this team is indeed very similar to how one would in 2K lol.

13. SemisolidSnake

I'm not convinced that the "Big Three" is some sort of unstoppable key to the championship. The Heat had a "Big Three" and the Spurs had/have a "Big Three." Yet Miami won two years ago because a veteran, bald guy from the bench (we have one of those now, btw) drained a clutch three when San Antonio failed to put the game away. Then the next game, one particular Miami player played like a Big Three by himself. Last year, this young guy on San Antonio won Finals MVP, and I don't believe he was part of the Spurs' Big Three Club. Actually, both winners had depth, flexibility, role players alongside stars, players of all ages, and the chemistry to get things done even when the stars weren't shining their brightest.

When you look at the Rockets, they now have a team of similar potential. We have an indisputable Big One like Miami had. Tonight, Smith was Big Two and Brewer was Big Three. The next night, it may be be Dwight and Ariza or D-Mo and Beverly or Papa and Terry or who knows. As Calvin said tonight in the post-game, there's probably not one combination that's going to handle everything, but the Rockets probably have the people now to handle just about everything. Smith, I think (I hope), is going to be a serious component of that depth. Is he the third man? Yes and no, and I kind of prefer it that way.

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Typical Josh Smith takes a lot more long jumpers. He only took about 3 shots that were out of his range.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yes.

Smith has elite talent we need.

16. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

Some of yall are so unrealistic with the "all we need now is and elite Pg&PF". You cant afford to pay 4 superstar/elite players unless some of them take drastic paycuts, which rarely happens. We have 2 players the best at their position. Harden entering his prime. We have 2 players in Bev and Ariza that compliment harden so well. And now Smith who's style of play fits perfect. Like homeboy said, this isnt 2K.

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

after what I saw from tonight's game, I think he can definitely be a legit third scoring option on this team.

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I almost want to say Josh Smith is our second man and Dwight is our third. Is that bad?

1 person likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

He was the 2nd man tonight.

20. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Third man? Josh Smith is simply THE man.