1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith has agreed to sign with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bobbythegreat, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Do you like the move for the Rockets to sign Josh Smith at the bi-annual exception ($2.1M)?

1. YES

862 vote(s)
    94.8%
  2. NO

47 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. conquistador#11

team is better with mo demo touches. didn't like josh smith but now that he is a rocket he better succeed. can't give ed reed like effort out there.

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

You forgot Dwight, a gimmicky offense, a surplus of turnovers, chronic slow starts, an overall lack of urgency, abysmal shooting, and super-lazy defensive rotations. I definitely think Josh needs to go to the bench, but there are some people pointing to him as the cancer who came and ruined the great thing we had going. A lot of these struggles have been present since before he showed up, but I guess it's more appealing to have a definite place to lay the blame.

3. Dankush

Dankush Member

guess you don't know what etc. means lol but yeah all that

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

3.75% of us voted no.

DD

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wish the poll was public so I could see who the rest of us were

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I still think at the BAE, its not a bad move for insurance, but pine his ass until he can get his **** together. He doesn't warrant a starter position at all.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Me. DD took the blunt of the hate at the beginning of this thread though. I pointed out how valuable chemistry was and got blasted a bit.

8. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Smith and Howard are LOSERS!!!! As simple as that!

9. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I think we all agree this was a chance the Rockets had to take, but now we have to start asking how long do you let this experiment go on. I think you have to give it until Feb. (trade deadline) to see if he starts to get it. After that it might be time to cut our losses and start get our minds right for the playoffs.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Probably out of home court if this keeps up....I just don't think a leopard changes it's spots, and our chemistry is nerfed right now.

DD

11. archinkent

archinkent Member

I voted yes since the we got a decent player for cheap, but at the time I wasn't aware he was promised the starting spot. That was a mistake.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I doubt this was up to mchale, as clueless as he maybe. You don't do that to Dmo and insert a turd into the starting lineup. Morey pulls all the damn strings.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Giving it 10 more games to gel. 2 new players.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

It's not a question of smith gelling with the team. He's simply not a good fit on this team. He's not a good fit on any team.

He's not going to all of a sudden learn how to shoot.

It was a risk worth taking. It didn't work out for us. You take your losses and move on.

15. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Smith... TERRIFIC FREE AGENT!!!!

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We had to try, hell I wanted to try too. Just in case Josh Smith somehow fixed himself here.
    Now we have to cut him loose.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If I'm Morey, I give him five more games, then he's gone. Can't **** around here.

The Rockets' problems go WAY past Josh Smith, but he has been simply terrible since he's arrived. Honestly I wish he played to his Detroit standards, he's been that bad.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

But we did not HAVE to try - we had a great team blend, everyone knew their roles and everyone was playing the team game.

Once Smith came in, the only one still getting his is Harden, everyone elses production has dropped - you just don't mess with a winning streak.

And I know he is allegedly BETTER than Black, but not for this team, Black shot more than 50% and was doing all the dirty work when he had to play..and DMo on the bench? He is the only guy of those starters who set picks or moves off the ball consistently.

This is going to take longer than folks imagine to sort this out....and JSmith is just NOT as good as he was in Atlanta, his athleticism has declined and he just can't shoot the ball.

We have now surrounded Harden with a bunch of guys who can't shoot - if you are going to rely on 3pters you better have guys that can knock them down at a decent clip.

EVEN DMO is nearly 33% and I don't want him shooting 3s EVER...for crying out loud, Ariza is shooting like trash, Smith is shooting like trash and Bev has slipped below 40% too.

Shooting is missing, we need to put a big old "Where is our shooting" logo on a milk cartoon near you !

DD

19. jk103

jk103 Member

It's a good signing on paper. Smith was a disaster in Detroit, but 2m and a Tarik Black is a great low risk, high reward type of move. But I think Morey's finally completely lost the team.

Black was a hard-nosed, high energy 100% effort type of guy, and he's outplayed Dorsey all season and he earned his minutes the hard way. Cut. No room for grit and effort on this team, we need to roll the dice for a 3rd superstar. Again.

DMo's FINALLY starting to show more than a flash of the potential we've seen in him for the last two seasons, finally gets a chance to show what he can do in the starting lineup. But wait! Josh Smith is here, shooting <40% from the field as a power forward!

Why would anyone play hard for this team? Playing hard gets you cut or sent to the bench.

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

chemistry doesnt always develop right away. and from what i saw we looked really slow tonight.

the roster is full of NBA athletes - but we lack the finesse... that's where coaching and player development enter the picture.

no need to panic, some of this is to be expected. but ya, after josh smith's first game as a rocket (memphis game, fun game) the team hasn't looked good.

with jsmoov being dwight's buddy - i think some responsibility falls on his shoulders to get josh smith playing at a high level.