1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh smith brings everything we need

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jan 1, 2015.

1. vator

vator Member

I agree CH. Picking up Smith was a no brainer. We needed an upgrade from the Howard, D. Mo, Black and Dorsey big rotation. Smith is worth the gamble. Growing pains should be expected.

They need to show him some film on how to play off of Howard and Harden. If he can just learn how to operate without the ball and get himself into the correct places on offense, we can have the best of both worlds with him getting high percentage shots or at the very least in position to attack the basket on a rotating defense along with playing elite PF defense.

2. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Don't get me started on his turnovers smh..

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Yeah, the one he had last night really changed the complexion of the game.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It was "defiantly" bad.

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

[​IMG]

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

T Jones didn't walk for like 2 months this year fairly recently. I'm skeptical he will be able to bring something to this team before playoff time. The west is too packed to let Jones play himself into shape with big minutes. More likely, he gets limited minutes and gives us at least someone to turn to besides Dorsey for when one of our bigs gets in foul trouble in the playoffs.

Smith definitely makes Jones expendable in the short term but Morey isn't going to feel like he HAS to trade him. If there is a scenario that brings back major value(like Dragic), then Jones is gone but otherwise, I think Morey just keeps jones giving us a lot of versatility with our big rotations. I think Morey recently said there would be no new trades unless they were brought in major talent and I feel like jones' value is fairly low right now given the severity of his injury....which makes me think we keep Jones and he backs up Smith. As good as jones is, he doesn't move the needle as much offensively against top teams as Smith does defensively against the best.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

As long as he gets his shots in the flow of the game. (Looking at you too, Trevor)

I conjecture in McHale's talk with Harden one on one before the game, he told James he has the license to shoot and create without worrying about getting Howard and Smith their touches. Notice Harden going for his shots in the 4th and maybe just a pass or two to JSmith.

The big boss (DMorey) had publicly said that after Harden, our best offensive move is DMo. Sorry, Dwight and Josh. Just do your job to help us win; don't worry about your offense for now.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

The thing is, we don't have to TRUST that Josh Smith will be productive, and we don't have to trust that Jones or DMo will be, either. We get to see them play with the rest of the team and actually VERIFY how they'd do as much as anyone possibly can verify these things.

As the season goes on, we'll accumulate more and more data that either confirm or reject what everyone is arguing over right now.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Anyone know what Harden told Smith when he hit that 3 in the last game forcing the Hornets to take a timeout? The Hornet broadcast focused on Josh and James' faces and Harden was clearly joking around with him. Looked like a good chemistry moment...

10. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Or maybe you need to grow up and learn manners but doubt so as your upbringing is showing to be lacking. Now we al seen the series and how LMA ate TJ up we all know the results so grow up punk.

11. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Almost 60 turnovers in two games against the Spurs and the Wizards loosing by a total of 5 points combined...by 4 points to the Spurs and 1 point to the Wizards and the Rockets haven't really put any practice time with the new players Brewer/Smith and the other guy. I see nothing but a HUGE POSITIVE UPSWING in about 2 months give or take when the chemistry starts to sync up on the court. Turnovers decline and points will go up as a result and the opposing teams points will go down.

Logic

12. eman

eman Member

Meanwhile Dorsey is starting to do some work.

13. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

oh man, this had me cracking up so bad...post of the year so far imho.

14. dischead

dischead Member

Detroit has won three games in a row.. coincidence? I think not.

15. Dankush

Dankush Member

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If Jones is traded, it will be for a major rotation piece.

The Rockets would be asinine to give up on Jones in favor of Smith, especially since Smith's future on this team is uncertain after this season.

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Josh Smith and Jones are not even in the same stratosphere in defensive ability. Yes, a lot of reason why LMA went off was on Jones. Let us not do revisionist history.

This is Smith's history against top tier PFs.

Jones couldn't even hold his jockstrap defensively. I have documented 3 games last year that illustrates his inconsistencies.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=252043
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=251988
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=251910

On offense, the final judgement cannot be made until more games are played. The fit will be determined. However, defensively, it is not even close.

18. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

He's better than who we had at that position. Enuff said. With Terry, Brewer, and Smith we have no excuse not to make it out of the 1st round.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

The Rockets need another ball handler/playmaker though. Harden can't be the only one capable of doing that. I cringe watching Bev try to be a point guard.

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

WOW! THIS DETAILED INFO DESERVES IT'S OWN THREAD JBASKET. THANKS FOR PUTTING THIS TOGETHER. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ROCKETS GEL IN A MONTH OR TWO FROM NOW...BUT SERIOUSLY, YOUR POST SHOULD TURN INTO IT'S OWN THREAD. GREAT STUFF! :cool: