1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh smith brings everything we need

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You Jones fans really think T.Jones is still a Rocket come after February? Even Jones probably knows he's about to be traded come the deadline. There just isn't room for him and Smith is a brand in this league whether you guys like it or not. The Rox will not move Smith because of a PR nightmare.

2. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

The Rockets have a LOADED team. They had darn near 60 turnovers combined in the SA/Wizards games...of which they lost by 1 point in the Wizards game and lost by 4 points in the Spurs game while still figuring out on how to play together on the fly in real time with no practice time. They're not even in "sync" yet...give it 2-3 months with a healthy Jones back finding matchup problems at the SF position.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we sorely miss him as well, but more because we miss the depth than anything. If 100% of our big man minutes go to Howard, DMo, Smith, and Jones then we'd be a lot better off than having to put Dorsey out there.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

How is there not room? I don't see why you can't run T. Jones & Smith at the 4 and let DMo back up Dwight, rather than Joey. We obviously have a glut of forwards at the moment and it probably makes sense to let one of them go if the right deal comes along -- but I have a hard time seeing Morey move T. Jones or anybody else just to do it or because "there isn't room." If there isn't a trade out there that would really push this team to another level, having 3 competent PFs is a decent problem to have (IMO).

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

BINGO!

6. Rox23

Rox23 Member

TJones will not put up with garbage minutes long term...and deservedly so, he's too good. 10 minutes a game and TJones will do an Asik and start begging for a trade.

7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

BINGO!

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he's not a good enough player to pull that BS especially after missing like 3 months of the season. I think the Rockets probably look to move Jones just as soon as he builds up some trade value, he has none right now. If he acts like a fool about playing time, it'll take even longer to move him.

I don't think he's stupid enough to complain about playing time.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

LOL

Jones proved he is a far better fit with the starting unit.

He is diligent, does not force things, play off Howard and Harden very well.
    He knows his role.

Whereas Smith feels he is the third star and has to get this team going.
    Not necessary

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

LOL

Jones proved he is a far better fit with the starting unit.

He is diligent, does not force things, play off Howard and Harden very well.
    He knows his role.

Whereas Smith feels he is the third star and has to get this team going.
    Not necessary

He should come off the bench

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Exactly, the only guys you can treat like that is probably only Pap. I think Dmo looks to b**** and get traded but he won't be since he's probably going to be Dwight's back up or starting alongside him depending on the match up come Play Offs.

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

What makes you say this? I'd far prefer TJ in the starting lineup, but Smith has seemed almost overly deferential since Memphis to me. Last night at one point he got the steal, led the break and had one defender trailing w/ a wide open look for a dunk or a layup. Instead, he hesitated and passed off to Bev (I think it was Bev?) for the finish. I think I'd rather him off the bench, but I wouldn't mind him being a little more aggressive.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think that may be why Dorsey is still in the rotation. To make it a seamless transition when jones returns.

14. vator

vator Member

If Jones is traded for a top tier point guard I will be one of the first people on here celebrating. I'm a fan of the team and as far as I'm concerned, right now, James Harden is the only untouchable Rocket.

15. vator

vator Member

Not sure why you say I'm ignoring game 1. Aldridge basically did whatever he wanted with Jones on him and I even said that he wasn't a good defensive player last year. I was merely correcting your incorrect claim that Jones guarded him game 2. Two elite defenders were on him and he still managed to score 43 points. Jones clearly needed to improve his post defense. Maybe he still sucks at it...I don't know. 280 pound Sullinger backed him down a couple of times earlier this season, but he contested his shot and ended up having a very solid game on both ends of the court.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Beverly knows the personnel well and does a good enough job as it is with Harden dominating the ball. Bev also plays with tremendous heart and goes for rebounds like no other point can. I'd rather the Rox go for a another solid big to really back up Dwight. Maybe Mozgov and let Dmo/Smith play the 4.

17. rockpileindisma

Have smith and motie come off the bench and jones and Howard start...my god that would be a sick rotation

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Nobody has proven anything yet. Jones only played 4 games before being injured. Smith only played 4 games after getting traded. Give it time, things will play themselves out.

Right now, the team was absolutely right in taking a chance on Smith and the team is absolutely correct in putting Smith out there to see where he is at. Smith was available for near salvage value and his upside is very high-- a realistic chance at being a top 50 player in the NBA if he just get back to where he was at in 2013 before the whole Detroit ordeal.

It may not work out, but you have to invest the time to find out.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup. I don't think it worked out very well.

The game where he put up the most shots was his best game so far.

The games where he was overcautious, overpassing, overdribbling he did suck a little. (Deferential as you put it)

I know small sample size. Will evaluate more for sure.

The point is he is an inefficient player on Offense and he struggles hard there.
    You have to find a balance there.

Giving him confidence while not letting him shoot too much

20. anchel

anchel Member

No matter as starter or as backup, I frankly trust more Josh than Jones at competing against the Ibakas, Randolph, Griffin, Aldridge at playoffs.