1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh smith brings everything we need

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jan 1, 2015.

1. mockster

mockster Member

Despite his offensive woes he brings everything we need. 5 points, 4 assist, 5-6 rebounds, 3 steals and 3 blocks. His defensive presences and passes from his drives really help the team out. And his first and second game he rebounded like a boss. Ontop of that to dmo still can contribute. Defiantly love when Dwight abd smith are at the end of the game there defense is to raw

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well said.

1 person likes this.
  3. zyt

zyt Member

everything?

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Big booty girls?

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The grammar in this post is so bad I believe it might actually be Josh Smith.

1 person likes this.
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Still trying to figure out his place on this team, but I'm encouraged that he has not continued jacking up bad shots. Most of the long 2s/3s he's shot have been wide open....I can live with that.

I don't really think he's this bad of a shooter, but confidence is obviously an issue. Hope he can fix that gradually over time.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/4310037.html

Nov. 4, 2006, 12:45AM
    Alston all Rockets need at point guard

By John P. Lopez

The three qualities that should be valued most in an NBA point guard are, in order — handle, passing ability and shooting.
    So why were the Rockets so intent on finding someone other than Rafer Alston to hold the keys of a team so well-equipped in virtually every other way?

Alston personifies those qualities in every way. He cannot be considered a premier NBA point guard, but a premier guard would command more shots. That is, take shots away from bigger, more important stars and shooters on this Rockets team.

Alston is, instead, what the Rockets need, but apparently do not always want. He keeps the ball on a string, is equally adept at going left and right, drives, splits double teams and breaks pressure.

His offensive mentality since his blacktop days, when he earned the nickname "Skip To My Lou," has been pass first.

And though you could argue he has yet to become the shooter he should be, Alston has made dramatic steps, knocking down shots, as his second-half effort (15 points) in Wednesday's season-opening loss at Utah would attest.

Besides, on a team that features Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady and added nice weapons in Bonzi Wells, Shane Battier and Kirk Snyder, along with shooters Steve Novak and Scott Padgett, what more would you want from the point?

Something missing
    Apparently, something.

This will be the most important season of Alston's career, if only because he's been the object of so much rumor and doubt.

The Rockets tried desperately to get Mike James in the offseason, before the former Rockets guard signed with Minnesota.

When that didn't work out, they signed Greek star Vassilis Spanoulis, announcing early they hoped he would become, "a rotation player" and praying he would. He hasn't.

They signed John Lucas III and sent him to the Las Vegas Summer League in hopes of his developing into a rotation role at the point. They extended the contract of Luther Head, a natural off guard they have tried to fit into the point role in the past.

They even released Ryan Bowen, a proven role player, to save a roster spot for point guard Bob Sura, 33, whose work toward recovery from knee surgery has been remarkable, but remains a long shot to return.

And, of course, come crunch time, the Rockets always have taken the ball out of Alston's hands and run McGrady at the point.

Over and over, the Rockets sent subtle and not-so-subtle messages to Alston that he was their man, but likely only until a better option came along.

"They were trying to go in another direction, maybe not totally, but were looking for another one maybe to start," Alston said. "I looked at it all summer."

With the home opener tonight, it has become clear Alston might not be the Rockets' one and only, but he is the starting one.

Equally as clear: Despite the big additions and big stars, the key to it all for the Rockets this year is the immensely skilled, but often-doubted point guard whose status as the starter should be considered shaky.

Alston must prove them wrong and somehow find a way to break free from entrenched perceptions and doubts about his game.

That whole Skip To My Lou street-ball reputation has hindered Alston his entire career. In truth, on most NBA nights there is not a more deliberate, unspectacular player on the floor than Alston.

He's in fact the anti-Skip To My Lou in demeanor and approach. Yet among the shortcomings often rattled off about his game — and he hears them all — are that he has yet to rein in the street ball. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The more legitimate doubt might be Alston's abilities as an outside scorer, but he has made strides and scored all his 15 points in the second half in Wednesday's loss, helping spark the ill-fated Rockets comeback.

The Rockets keep looking. Fans keep wondering: When's Spanoulis going to be ready? Why doesn't Lucas get some time? If only the Rockets had a better point guard.

"People want shooters," Alston said. "People love the scoring point guards. That's the way of the league. You have your (Stephon) Marbury, you have Baron Davis, Allen Iverson. People aren't into the true, natural point guards.

Natural point
    "That's my game. I've got so many weapons. I know how to get them the ball. But the general public might not like that."

Here's Alston, who finished 10th in the NBA in assists and eighth in turnover ratio among point guards who averaged more than 34 minutes per game last season. He's still holding the keys. Still often doubted.

"I've been among the leaders," Alston said. "Tenth in assists? And they still were trying to find someone else. If you're going to find another one, he'd better be in the first nine."

If the Rockets are going to reach a higher level this season, it's not just fans and critics Alston must convince. It's his bosses.

8. CDrex

CDrex Member

Yeah, so far I'm fine with him. It takes time to adjust to a new system. He's showed a lot of positive signs.

I'm not entirely sure he's a long-term starter - but I see his value, I just think it might be more valuable for him to anchor the bench.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I like Smith too. Certainly has the girth to play the 4/5 but the quickness to be on the wings as well. But there will be an odd man out come the trade deadline. I think Terrence Jones very last days as a Rox are approaching. So how about a T.Jones appreciation thread?

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

Nope. Terrance jones is so much better than smith it's not even close.

11. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

Everyone keeps saying tjones will be odd man out but I don't think so. I see Dmo playing all backup center min with jones getting some pf and maybe sf min too. I think second unit would get a big boost of energy. Dorsey would likely be glued to bench unless injuries. A 9 man rotation with brewer, terry, jones, and dmo would be nice for playoff time.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He will be showcased for a trade. Smith has a brand and I think Dwight has him as a keeper. Dmo is just too tall will be ready by PlayOffs... It's Jones and or maybe Papa that will be trade chips in about a month and half.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

You think TJ is better than Smith defensively?

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

if its tjones/papa/capela , NOP pick, terry for goran if the suns are out of the playoff race by then ill be ecstatic

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Josh Smith is just an older version of Terrence Jones that learned how to play defense and picked up just about all of the worst habits on offense. They are strikingly similar players so if you think Jones is awesome, you probably think Smith is awesome.

16. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

I don't like him for one bit. Detroit is beasting with him and we're in a slump mode. Why would I like a guy that is loosing his passion for game and skills as he goes in his prime? His FT percentage is atrocious. Please bash me, but he played horrible every single game so far for the rox with his shooting and TO's.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Who knows? Smith hasn't proven to be great defensively. Is he a good post defender? He hasn't gone up against any elite pf's like Aldridge or Randolph.

Jones just turned 22 and is only getting better.

What I do know is tjones is the BEST fit out of the three (jones, dmo, smith).
    He effective without needing the ball in his hands, he plays great off of Howard and harden.

Everyone thinks smith needs more time to gel with the team. But it's not a question of gelling, he's simply not a good fit here.

I can go on and on but at this point of their careers, smith is a poor homeless mans tjones.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Jones has a more tradition power post play than T.Jones. When did we ever see T.Jones go up for a rebound in traffic and even fight for it like Smith? Smith can also post up much better, and though he has yet to score at a high rate, and score on a post up much better than Jones.

And no Terry won't be traded, Morey wanted that veteran leadership. And when nobody can hit a 3, Terry can at any given moment when the game is on the line.

19. theimpossibles1

Defiantly.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lmao, must spread rep.