1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Innes SR610AM: "ClutchFans hate me!"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dram1, Dec 21, 2011.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've caught segments of his show a few times because of circumstances and it has been dreadful.

The first one was him and Jim making fun of Charlie after he was fired. Last week it was them doing insults from the 1920s and laughing at themselves. Then the last one was them playing drunk tapes of each other and laughing hysterically at themselves.

It's cringeworthy.

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Is it me, or was he better when he was in Houston the first time? It seems like the current show is a parody.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Even the shows I used to sorta like seem to suck now. I tried listening to Matt and Lance this morning and all I heard was them trying to bait UT fans to call in about Vince Young/UT vs. USC champoinship game wasn't as good as the USC vs. Penn State Rose Bowl or something while they ate breakfast. Exciting. I tried tuning into Sean and Adam around noon-ish and it was basically Sean saying "I told you so" and Adam having a fit about O'Brien starting Osweiler (not sure if he wanted to start a possibly concussed QB or drag the ghost of Matt Schaub in or what ...). He's starting to throw a fit just to throw a fit, I think. Brian T. Smith of the Chron finally called in as a voice of reason. I'm starting to think all these guys have lost their marbles at the same time. As for Josh Innes, I tried to listen to him at the beginning but gave up a long time ago. Not my cup o' tea. Meh.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not surprising his ratings are bad. His schtick may get more chuckles in the morning... but there's absolutely no redeeming quality in listening to nonsensical bits in the heart of drive-time radio, during the peak of baseball off-season/free-agency, the college football playoffs, NFL playoffs, and the heart of basketball season with a pretty darn good team going.

Pallilo actually consistently had full boards of calls... as he did represent the last vestige for what remains of call-in sports radio.

I understand its an outdated format.. but when there was controversy, a successful team, or a team that was embarrassing.... it spurred a ton of conversation in this town, and people did call in.

I just can't believe advertisers haven't totally jumped ship. Are they actually paying the same rates for this? For less than a third of the audience?

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Innes' show was decent at first, but I realized it was only because Charlie was the main topic.

I really miss Pallilo. He is the best radio-head in Houston, by far.... by far.

790 really ended up helping 610 with Josh because I now change the station to listen to them. 610 is subpar IMO, but at least they mostly talk sports, although it's mostly Texans. Nothing wrong with football, but there's other sports going on locally.

Somebody needs to bring back Charlie, ASAP.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

With the Rockets playing so well, I'd love to hear Charlie's perspective on the season every day on my drive home.

Charlie was UNIQUE in that he was knowledgeable about sports and actually liked to talk about sports. Nothing whatsoever unique about Ennis and his dull pseudo-provocateur shtick, which has been played out for decades now.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Oh I'd love to hear CP right now have to eat some serious crow regarding the Rox and Harden AND those super-sweet Black jerseys he was so staunchly against!

On the extra hour of the 2-6 show, it was done bc sometimes w/Rockets games his show was cut short. Ok, no worries right? Nope, let's take an 1 hour from our best show and give it to someone who no one's listening to and somedays give him 5 hours of air time. W.T.F?

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

At least you knew he would talk rockets. Even though they are playing well it seems like they don't exist in this city.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not just that, but 790 no longer has any guests whatsoever.

No segments with Bullard, no interviews with other media members to give a national perspective on the local team, no Phil Steele line talk, no Nolan Ryan perspectives, no Brian Cushing interviews.

If you have absolutely zero connection with your local sports teams... I think you've failed as a sports radio station. The Rockets/Astros have to have some serious questions about the direction of their flagship station.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

But those pesky interviews would just get in the way of all the hilarious fart jokes.

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Charlie still do guest appearance on tv? think was the Texan show on ABC....

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The Ticket is more like one big frat party. They do have shows that are sports focused like Norm Hitzges' but for the most part it's a bunch of guys having fun in the man cave. The worst talk show is ESPN at 3pm with Tim Cowlishaw and Steve Dennis. Steve Dennis is biggest dumbass ever - he's basically a less racist, less abrasive, stupid version of Innes. And all the Dallas talk shows have their lips firmly planted on the Cowboys and Jerry Jones' butt.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

False. AC will have Bullard on regularly and before the Texans season got serious Cushing was on w.the morning show. Matter of fact Bullard is up next, on ST 790!

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Awesome... but its still not a regular thing, and its at a sub-optimal time for the largest possible listening audience.

For a flagship station that should be promoting its teams (especially the ones that are doing pretty damn good)... you don't relegate your team guests to the mid-day time slot.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  15. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

True that--but they all play this coy game of similarly putting down "Jurrah", the "death star"/sky mirror and then holding him up as a genius billionaire who controls the league and the Cows as laughable but relevant while making the NFL better because they are the "storied" franchise from days gone by. Gordo is my leader! Fake Jerry is one of the best bits on radio, ever. Its fun trying to describe to my wife what the drops are, who is speaking, etc. You have to listen to the station for a solid couple of months to really understand what's happening. Im in the FB groups, even have some Houston fans to back me up when I get piled on as we all use "drop speak" like some sort of cipher code.

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Not since they 86'd Extra Points a few years ago plus I'm sure he's got a non compete clause he's still in the window on. Hope he shows back up for the 'Stros new season and the Rockets Finals run...!

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sounds like 790 just needs to hit reset... and get rid of the people who made the decisions to make it as it is right now.

18. val_modus

val_modus Member

Sad thing is that I actually love 790 outside of Innes. Sean Jones and Adam are great in that Sean gives great insight from his playing days, and Adam trolls everyone with his realist Texans views. The morning show is meh, but then again the morning is meh. Jayson Braddick is hilarious, I'll never forget his rant on Roger Goodell coming down hard on celebration penalties. Josh Innes is just unbearable and does not talk enough Rockets, seeing as how 790 can cash in big time on being a rockets talk station since 610 has the Texans rod in their bunghole. That would be my strategy if I ran the station. Go HEAVY Rockets talk, and let 610 take the mediocre Texans talk, or at least the majority of it. I know that I have zero clue about what I'm talking about, but I'd love to see that, and would have 790 on lock if they went that route.

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Ok, they'll lose like 80% of the audience if they go all Rockets and that's being more than generous..

20. val_modus

val_modus Member

I'm not saying all rockets. I understand football is a state religion hear. But I'd love relatively heavy rockets talk. 50/50 rockets and Texans would be considered heavy rockets talk in this city.