1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Innes is back, this time with 790

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jimmy Chitwood, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I suppose, but if that should be said about anyone it would be Innes, not Matt Thomas. Thomas has never struck me as a guy that was only doing sports radio to collect a paycheck, and he is one of the few that covers pretty equally all three of the major teams in town and he is typically pretty passionate about all three of them. I was merely replying to previous poster who said he only watches "because he has to".

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I suppose, but if that should be said about anyone it would be Innes, not Matt Thomas. Thomas has never struck me as a guy that was only doing sports radio to collect a paycheck, and he is one of the few that covers pretty equally all three of the major teams in town and he is typically pretty passionate about all three of them. I was merely replying to previous poster who said he only watches "because he has to".

3. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Yeah, this is freaking horrible. I cannot stand Josh Innes, the dude is one of those guys that says **** just to stir things up. As a matter of fact I have never felt legit hate for someone that I've never met but I do for Josh. CP was one of the only reasons I listen to 790 anymore. I would listen to ND and Greg every once in awhile, but was sad that I could just not listen to anything else. I really wish they would have found a way to split up Lance and Matt, and put Matt on in the afternoons. This is the crappiest of all crap news.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At the end of the day, he's a professional. He was in the Minnesota market for a few years in between his Houston stints... and from listening to some of his previous clips there, he had the same passion for all things Vikings/Twins/T-wolves that he's showing for the Houston teams.

Now, of course... he's a native Houstonian, UH grad, and there's no reason to believe his interest in Houston sports is anything but genuine... but then again, nobody in Minnesota questioned his allegiances either.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

MT today said the Minnesota market was difficult if you weren't from there. And I am SURE, that any market would be difficult if you leave said market, then while you're away in a new market for a few years you constantly disparage said market's famous players and teams in a low class way, and then you come back to said market like it never happened. I'm not sure when MT left Minnesota but I'm pretty sure when he left he didn't go on a vendetta saying Kevin Garnett is a b--tch and reiterating multiple times that he is not a T-Wolves fan, etc etc.

I like how MT and Lance both called out 610 as low class for the Nick & Lopez lying and disrespectful interview with Tom Herman. They also went at 610 again when 610 tweeted an article from one of their on staff douche canoes about the 5 places Tom Herman SHOULD go to before the season even started with the huge OU-UH match up. MT is UH alumnus so his passion there is genuine.

So I wonder what MT thinks about Innes doing the exact same thing the trash over at 610 did. I had forgotten CP was gone, or I wasn't thinking and then I'm like "who the hell is this a-hole hyperventilating about Tom Herman is so gone and should leave". This was Innes first show. It took me about 3-5 seconds to realize who it was and I flipped it off. But then I thought: Wow. The 790 Proper Gentlemen were calling out the low class crap over at 610, and now they have to swallow their own vomit and vouch for their afternoon guy who started doing the exact same thing on his 1st day. Honestly I couldn't listen to Matt and Lance this morning cause it was all Innes excuses. Looks like I'm just gonna have to delve deeper into my Sports podcasts. It sucks too cause the live local sports radio talk radio / caller based format is it's own special thing...like a live fan huddle on the latest 24 hr local sport news cycle...and it's really fun when one of the local teams gets going. Maybe when the Rockets get going then I can listen in the morning again, but I can't if it's going to be them continually defending the afternoon asshat.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah it was awkward listening to them apologize for Josh all the time. Clearly came from upper level management that greenlit the hiring and now are trying to look good. Kinda like Rick Smith putting a player on IR to make his drafts look better (i.e. not cutting guys months after they're drafted).

7. val_modus

val_modus Member

Horrid horrid listen today on my drive home. Anyone know how long we're stuck with this shmuck? What makes this all worse is the fact that he knows **** about basketball.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

At this point, I'm actively rooting for 790 to fail and close up shop. (Yes, it's unfortunately come to this.) If you cut off the head, the body will die.

Furthermore, if the people of Houston soundly reject 790 to the point where the Innes hire brings down the entire station (think "SMU death penalty"), that should hopefully ward off competitors from thinking they need to hire loudmouth, racist, shock jock asshats to lure in listeners. I want the Pallilo-out-Innes-in decision to be viewed as a cautionary tale for future radio program directors.

Let's make this happen, people! Only we can protect the Houston sports radio airwaves for future generations! :cool:

#Never790
    #SaveSportsMT

9. jae713

jae713 Member

It's funny. ND wasn't defending Josh on Tuesday and basically said that you aren't forced to listen to his show but can continue to listen to In the Trenches. I love hearing listener call in and **** on Josh. I get the feeling that these guys don't really like the hire and are only defending him cause of management.

mikol13 likes this.
  10. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

MT is all about MT. I can barely stand to listen to him because of his lust to be famous attitude. I only listen in the mornings when I am finding little else to keep my attention or if they have Coach Herman on air. LZ knows his stuff and has gotten really good since his ranting days at 610 and 1560. (I like his rants but I didn't like it when he had them 3 times a week) It's a dark time but things will shake out.

BTW CP never said the Rockets didn't deserve the back to back champions. The ONLY negative thing he said was he thought if Jordan would have played with the Bulls they would have been favored and honestly who's gonna bet against the Bulls after the won 3 straight. CP loved the Rockets, he was a huge fan of Dream, Ellie, Rudy T. CP always said attendance is part of the grade and Jordon was absent.

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

So today was the 2nd day in a very long time I didn't drive in listening to 790. I searched "Houston Rockets" on my podcast app and found "LOCKED ON ROCKETS". Could have been hit or miss but when the guy said his name "Ben DuBose" I was relieved. I have been following him for a while on twitter after noticing many notable Houston sports journalists following him.

Anyways, it looks like I've found my daily fix for Rockets talk to replace the #InnesTakeover on 790.

I highly recommend subscribing to Ben's podcast, and to listen to his 10/4 podcast recapping the 2 preseason wins. Knowledgeable and enthusiastic. It will get you excited and give you the feel good vibes. And it looks like it's daily.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have to imagine this move is a hail mary of sorts to try and salvage some sort of ad revenue via ratings... ratings are down across the board (for all stations) for the year and there's no sign that any reversal of that trend is possible (given the ever more increasing options listeners have.... and the inherent flawed system of measuring AM radio stations ratings as is).

They've shuffled Lance, Matt, and Adam multiple times this year alone.

They tried pairing Charlie with a co-host, then he went back to solo.

They tried putting a decently rated national show in mid-day to boost ratings. Then they took it away when they realized that nobody in Houston cares about Jay Mohr (and could easily access him via other streams if they did).

They thought the in the trenches show was their workhorse... and inexplicably continued to put them on during the football off-season (where they literally had nothing to talk about)... again because of the flawed rating system that showed them leading the 9-11 time slot.

The more I think about it, the entire station, and all their shuffling/moves, was garbage... except for CP (where they rightly kept him in drive time, even though ratings were never great).

Its hilarious to see the timing of this mis-management given that this time of year (football season) is probably peak radio listening/call-in time... and they're truly just ******** the bed with every decision.

BigM likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I could be wrong, and this will sound crazy, but I'm pretty sure MT has said on air within the past 4 months that he is/was friends with Josh Innes at least 2 times. Once unprovoked, the other when a caller bashed Innes. Lance I'm not so sure about.

At the end of the day I don't care who is friends with who. Not a fan.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I guess I just don't get as bothered as some of you do when local sports guys don't constantly push the home team(s). Actually, I kind of liked it when CP would talk about the NBA, NFL or MLB as a whole more than just from a home team perspective.

Again....to say that Josh Ennis is disliked in Houston simply because he said some bad things about the Rockets is giving him WAY too much credit. He's disliked because he's a horrible uninteresting radio personality who really doesn't know much about sports and spends too much time trying to be like Howard Stern but can't pull it off because he's nowhere near as talented or entertaining.

mikol13 likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

DuBose is your fellow Clutchfan, The Cat.

cdrive likes this.
  16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

All this BS of crappy sports radio talk show hosts would be solved if only @DaDakota can restart doing his podcasts or youtube videos.

#allaboardtheDDbandwagon

17. grt004

grt004 Member

I enjoyed listening to him. He knew sports and was candid with all his opinions regarding Houston teams. It was also cool that he allowed listeners to call in and participate on his show. However, I think that discussing other topics: fantasy football, movies, tv shows, Vegas odds, history, politics, Houston restaurants and bars etc. would've improved his show. On the other hand, the triple threat on 610, are unbearable. I don't think local talk radio can improve ratings with the amount of commercials we have to listen to. Traffic is already bad enough; now you want me to listen to another o'reilly commercial.

18. updawg

updawg Member

In 20+ years of living in Austin one of the few
    Things I've missed about Houston is sports radio. Austin sports radio is horrible and Houston used to be great but seems to have turned to crap the last few years. Charlie is great, what a terrible move. I'm sure he will be picked up again, he's a Houston institution.

19. magman

magman Member

I miss the Matt Thomas Show at noon. The weird callers that would go on and irritate Matt was great sports radio. Ross beating Matt in fantasy five almost every week was worth hearing Matt get mad.

Not a big fan of the shuffle they did at the beginning of the year.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ratings is apparently driving everything. Adam/Lance wasn't cutting it in the morning drive-time, so they moved Matt to the morning to help with that.

The tail is wagging the dog at 790....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.