1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Innes is back, this time with 790

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jimmy Chitwood, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Wow turned on 790 by default and he's already on. Bye 790 on the evening drive. Flipped it off in 3 seconds. He's stoking the fire on Coach Hermann leaving. Just like all the COOG hating 610 trash. So weird. I can't listen to 610 at all, and now no 790 late in the day. This sucks.

ipaman likes this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Spotify, podcast, etc... so many good options!!!

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Looking at that post of past radio hosts ... Man that 1560 lineup from 07-08 was just so much fun

J.R. likes this.
  4. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Totally agree with this.

Some of us apparently feel more comfortable with radio hosts that sound like their show-prep consisted of watching 10 minutes of SportsCenter rather than someone -- like Pallilo -- that is able to articulate fact-based opinions even when they cut against the grain of hometown emotion.

I guess I'm looking for something different in a radio show than others who are lamenting about Charlie's "negativity" or whatever. If I'm such a sheep that I need a radio guy to validate my homerism by telling me what I want to hear about my team 'constantly getting screwed by the ref's', or that the Texans 'should be considered Super Bowl contenders' or whatever, then I probably need to reevaluate my life a bit. Because I'm essentially asking someone to sell me a bill of goods that deep down in my heart I know isn't true. And that's a little sad.

The fact that some people are closeted in their fear of smart people is, well, dumb. Sometimes being able to articulate your points better than the other guy may come off as a bit arrogant, but I'd take that over lowering the intellectual bar in order to make the masses feel better about themselves.

When we start accepting intellectual mediocrity -- in any field -- everyone ends up suffering. Except Josh Innes, apparently.

Deuce, Madmanmetz, VesceySux and 2 others like this.
  5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Josh Innes is the worst

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

He's a fan of himself. That's about it.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'd suggest Serial season one.

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Yeah... ok. Innes was my first encounter of the new age of 'hot takes'. Dude is just boring to listen to, very narcissistic, and has annoying takes from what I can remember. His twitter is also annoying as hell. Didn't he get fired from his last job for racist comments too?

9. jsingles

jsingles Member

Luckily my commute to work now is about 2 miles so I don't have much time to listen to the radio now. All the voices sound exactly the same to me, only a few of them seem to have a unique voice.

10. blackistan

blackistan Member

Ridiculous 790 gets rid of arguably the best in CP and adds probably one of the worst dudes in JInnes who mostly talks about random bs and sprinkles in some sports. I used to listen to CP on my way home everyday guess I'm done with 790 for the time being. I really hope someone in Houston adds CP

11. Granville

Granville Member

Ralph Cooper holding the same gig since 1984 is amazing.

I used to work with a guy named Bobby that was Ralph's best friend back when Ralph started that show. We used to call in all the time and Ralph hooked us up with Rockets tickets several times.

Bobby passed away from cancer in 1989. The funeral service was at Windsor Village. Ralph got up to speak on Bobby's behalf. Ralph made it half way through a beautiful tribute to his best friend before leaving the pulpit in tears. Over the years, I have always held Ralph in high regard when I've seen him on TV or heard him on the radio.

Gonna miss Charlie P. He's a quirky knowledgeable guy. Innes won't last long. Looks like the wagons are circling already.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Forget about CP's vast superior knowledge and ability to give as unbiased (but accurate) an assessment of Houston sports.... is anybody else also going to incorporate figures like Phil Steele, Nolan Ryan, or the Texans' opposing team's beat-writers for segments at a time on a regular basis?

Everybody tends to focus on Charlie's elitist methods... but at the end of the day, he was by far the best interviewer and show constructor any of the stations had. 790 didn't exist before Pallilo.... I'm not so sure it's going to last now that he's out (I honestly think they've completely mis-read/mis-judged the market.... ratings are down everywhere.... sports-talk radio is a dying breed... if you want to stick with a semblance of the format, you still need to have quality people in there).

BigM, Madmanmetz and Granville like this.
  13. Granville

Granville Member

Charlie wasn't homer radio in regard to his criticism of the local squads Most of the critical opinions he serves up is well thought out and valid. Homers wanna hear ray of sunshine talk 24 7.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Was absolutely thinking this too. Those are some great host to have for a radio station.

15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking about his interviews yesterday, you are right, so many great contributors. I'm not a betting guy, and I ALWAYS change the station when I here "I got so and so plus the points..." But CP actually got me interested into Phil Steele, great knowledge of CFB even though I don't care about the point spreads. That was the only intelligent "betting show" I've ever heard.

I'm personally gonna miss his Matt Bullard Hour the most. Facts and info about the players and coaches, great historical perspective on the Rudy T/ Dream era, and a funny story from Bullard every now and then about being a player. They even "sprinkled" a little musical taste, and entertainment into the show. CP always had a way to get the locker room vibe out of Bullard even though Bullard plays the homer role regularly.

I hope he pops back up in H-Town soon. Kinda reminds me off when channel 2 can Craig Roberts.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

As a listener, I WANT the host to be smarter than me. Why else would I listen? That's the exact reason I like(d) Charlie so much.

Vanilla Thunder likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How does Chris Gordy have a job in radio? His voice is pretty terrible for Radio.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Any white dude that is feeling himself enough to call someone the n-bomb is a guy I'm not listening to. 790 I used to listen to you almost exclusively, you definitely won't have me in the afternoons anymore. Good job understanding what your listeners want.

(Since I'm guessing if anyone does actually read this -- you may or may not be so quick on the uptake -- so, that last sentence was sarcasm. Thanks!)

Edit: I should have known Chris Gordy was involved in the decision making. His little parody songs are awfully annoying, and I'm guessing his voice matches his face.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I go through phases where I can't handle Charlie for long stretches, but he is probably my all time favorite in Houston talk radio. Such a huge mistake letting him go. 790 is dead to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.