1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Innes is back, this time with 790

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jimmy Chitwood, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was one of those guys who listened for the first few weeks just to see what he would do next. Now that the shock value is gone, his show seems pretty boring now. Kind of like an 80's "morning zoo" type show with a hint of sports sprinkled in.

The shock-jock shtick is okay as long as it's funny. When it stops being funny (or in Josh's case, it never was) it just becomes....well, DULL.

The newness has worn off and now I've gone back to my podcasts for the ride home.

Caddman likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's exactly what it is. It was a budget cut by a sinking ship. 790 is just not making money just like most sports entertainment media isn't; just look at ESPN. This city can't support 3 sports stations and millennials don't listen to the radio.

Joel Blank is married to Lisa Hernandez (Don't know what she saw in him:confused:) so he's not leaving the city. He sucks as a radio personality here.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Any word on when the CP podcast goes live?

AM radio is a dying format.... with call-in radio all but instinct.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is he really doing a podcast? That's weird. His whole show was based on call volume. Get a ton of calls, whine, pessimism, random screeching at a high pitch, repeat.

5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yeah, was there an official announcement on that news?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't find it weird at all... the better parts of his show were him either doing a long-ish monologue on sports happenings, along with his interview skills for his usual guests (and he was by far the best interviewer in the market).

That's essentially the crux of any podcast.

The call-in stuff was probably the worst aspect and easily could be eliminated.

And no... there is no official announcement... this is just something I really hope he's exploring at this time, with the current AM format turning into the mess it is now.

7. Band Geek Mobster

This is my first time hearing Innes, and his shock jock style is played out and ultimately going to lead to him getting replaced. The Shock Jock era is dead.

8. val_modus

val_modus Member

Ya, I honestly tried to give him a shot, but he doesn't have enough substance with sports (especially rockets), goes on tangent rants way too much, and has the lamest producer in Jim Mudd that I've ever had the misfortune of listening too. 610 isn't any better at that time block though. Any good Rockets podcasts?

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Lulzzzzz just tuned in for the first time in a ~month and within 15 seconds heard a caller drop the f bomb before they could dump.

You made your bed, 790

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Was that on the iHeartRadio app? If so, I swear I was hearing that once a day on that station and they don't drop it on the app like they do on the radio so you can hear it in all its glory. Nothing like listening to some boring caller talking "and yeah, I think the Texans should run the ball more and Matt you can (@*%*%&". There were a few times I blurted out laughing.

Times were so much simpler not so long ago when it was just Matt and Ross dealing with deranged but polite, pathetic lunatics at noon ... *sigh*

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  11. jae713

jae713 Member

Matt was talking about an experience he had when the Twins won the American League and saying how champagne burns his eyes during the locker room celebration.

Michael "douche" Connor: so does gonorrhea
    Matt: okay....

Really? That's not even funny you ****ing idiot.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ye, fratboy child jokes. I guess that's all they can afford at 790 though.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Which is hilarious because this is the exact opposite type of person that actually still commits to listen to AM sports radio.

14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.