1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Howard continues his horrendous offseason

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AstroRocket, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-mac&Yao=RING

Right. Now hes a thug. Have yo ever heard Howard say he was a thug? Becasue if you haven't please don't call him one. People like you make me laugh because you really don't know what a thug is. You think just becasue a person smoke weed and say dumb things ever now and than is a thug. I think you should go spend a week in the ghetto so you can go see what a real thug is.

2. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Member

Lets say emails were sent to Cuban from fans who saw his movie and they were similar to these emails but instead directed at the US Marines, do you think Cuban would have post their address? Hell no.

3. T-mac&Yao=RING

People that didnt grow up in the hood will never understand.

4. TECH

TECH Member

I'm with ya, man. :cool:

Many of us have had a much more fond appreciation for electricity lately as well...mine is still out. :mad:

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

Come on man, who do you think would win such a lawsuit. I'd put my money on Cuban easily.

6. TECH

TECH Member

I think most people would love for black people to succeed, so they would stop all the ranting about how white people suck, have sucked, and always will suck.
    Many black people do succeed, however you want to define that. A lot can change in 50 years, just look at the "black" culture here in the USA, vs. anywhere in Africa. That's change. Are white people never allowed to change? We can all change for the better, and I think society as a whole HAS done just that. Racism isn't genetic.

Frankly, the seed of resentment will do no good for anyone. I like today's USA, and I really don't think there are many white people today that would like to have slavery back.

Obama isn't where he is solely based on the black vote, either.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Looking at this cynically it looks like an attempt by Cuban to draw attention away from Howard. By creating a greater controversy in exposing these racist douchebag Mavs fans he's trying to turn villain into victim.

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Member

I love debates about racism. Gets the best out of everyone.

9. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Member

Dandorotik, I gotta disagree with you. While you sound like you are at least being rational as opposed to many whom I will not even reply to, I think you are missing the point. At the end of your post you say "No one is safe". Do you mean no one is safe from revealing their thoughts? From revealing how they really feel? Yeah, that is what is so messed up about this.

Maybe we have a fundamental disagreement that the National Anthem derserves the utmost repect from citizens of the United States. If that is the case, then you are the SOB I hope I run into after my next Jager Bomb.

10. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I guess I could rebut your claims about my financial standing, but I happen to be an adult. Get at me when you become one, as well.

I'm done with this waste of time. I'd advise the rest of you guys to just ignore him as well. Ther's nothing to be gained from trying to carry on a conversation with someone who lacks the basic skills to, um... converse.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

I'll just be completely serious and to the point:

1. Josh Howard needs to understand that as a celebrity, everything you say in public has the potential to be scrutinized and misunderstood, PARTICULARLY IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE SPEAKING INTO SOMETHING THAT COULD BE BROADCAST ON THE INTERNET.

2. Some sacred cows can't be touched without arousing controversy. Look at Jackson Browne and The Dixie Chicks as perfect examples. Jackson Browne criticizes the Bush regime and he is praised by his fans. Why? Most of them are liberal Democrats like him. The Dixie Chicks criticize President Bush and are ripped to shreds by many in their audience. Why? Their audience are largely conservative Republicans. Doesn't mean they don't have the right to say what they want- of course they do. But Natalie Maines (lead singer) can't go around wondering why her audience is unhappy with her when she knows very well her audience demographics. Criticizing the Star Spangled Banner, if you are a wealthy athlete, whether brown or beige, is just something that is best expressed privately, unless you don't mind the inevitable negative feedback.

3. No one is safe means that our society is much more sensitive regarding what individuals say as opposed to only what they do. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe that's a bad thing, maybe it's both. I had female co-workers at restaurants with whom I used to exchange some very explicit jokes and things of that nature- but that was only after they knew of the full respect I have towards women. Could I get away with some of that in corporate America without being subjected to sexual harassment? Maybe not.

I think the national anthem deserves respect. I also understand why someone may criticize it. I think there are just some things you do (like showing respect towards the flag and national anthem) because, if you don't do those things, you will invite more criticism and create more problems for yourself.

Especially when you're talking about sports fans. Most sports fans are conservatives when it comes to sports, even if they are liberal in other aspects of their life, like politics. I guarantee you that a dyed-in-the-wool liberal in the political realm, one who believes in understanding the underlying causes of something like poverty and implementing programs to help the oppressed, is not going to have a liberal philosophy when it comes to their sports team, particularly its million-dollar athletes. So whereas someone like Josh Howard might be praised for his actions if operating within something like a protest rally or political campaign, he is not going to get that reaction within the sports fan community. Look at all the problems Mahmoud Abdul-Raul had when he refused to salute the flag. He was out of the league within 2 years at 32 years old, and indications are that his stance did not help matters.

I don't know- I think there is an overreaction to his comments, but I can also understand individuals not having much sympathy for an athlete criticizing the country that has allowed him to prosper despite what it has done to his ancestors.

#151 dandorotik, Sep 20, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  12. Classic

Classic Member

lol, hilarious thread...just a couple thoughts while reading it:

If people/creeds/races/cultures want to talk history, I believe the jews have had it a lot worse.

As for Howard. It's a shame people think like that at all and him especially because I bet that there isn't one thing bad in his life that he isn't personally responsible for. He's not somebody I know or hang out with though so his opinion means nothing to me. The guy is so blessed and can't even see it.

13. LouisianaRocket

I bet the courts would say different :cool:

14. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Member

You make some interesting points dandorotik, but I still think you are missing the main point. You sound like you have the defense attorney's angle on this one. I have the patriotic angle.

I don't want to turn this into a conversation about Race, that tired discussion is as pointless as it is boring. It is definitely not about race for me.

I simply find it sad that Josh Howard doesn't want to be a part of this country. He doesn't feel patriotism, he doesn't understand what this country is about, and if it were up to him, there would be no America as we know it.

At his age, with his priveledges in life, he should know better than to say what he said. In the professional sector where I work, saying anything that stupid, no matter how good a job you do, can easily get you fired.

The reason why this goes past the "defense attorney" routine of "He didn't know he was going to get posted on the internet" etc etc is that millions of people have died defending this country and even defending black people, The anthem is symbolic of respect for those who have defended our country, those who currently put their life on the line for this country, and for those who will do so in the future. It deserves the utmost respect by citizens of this country.

15. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

your a poor disgrace, son...you are an Embarrassment to your race....the human race....your seem to be proud of your ignorance, why is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.