1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Cruz is let go!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dianap07, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianap07

dianap07 Member

THIS MAKES ME ANGRY!! :mad: I didn't see a thread about it so hopefully, no one posted about it LOL

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6666398.html

Jose Cruz, one of the most popular players and coaches in Astros history, was shocked when team president Tal Smith and general manager Ed Wade told him Tuesday his services as one of the club's coaches will no longer be needed.

Cruz has been offered a dual role helping the field staff at home and in spring training and then as part of community outreach while the team is on the road during the regular season.

The fate of the Astros' 2009 coaching staff also has been set, with only hitting coach Sean Berry retaining his position. Dave Clark, who served as interim manager for the final 13 games after Cecil Cooper was fired, can be on the 2010 coaching staff if he isn't hired as manager.

Bullpen coach Mark Bailey will become the hitting coach at Class AA Corpus Christi, while Cooper's former bench coach, Ed Romero, will manage Class A Greeneville. Pitching coach Dewey Robinson was offered a position in player development, but he informed the club on Tuesday that he has accepted a job with another organization.

Cruz is considering whether he'll accept a job that is a cross between Enos Cabell's special assistant's role and the community outreach jobs Larry Dierker and Jimmy Wynn hold.

“I couldn't say anything,” said Cruz, who played with the Astros from 1975 through 1987 and had been on the coaching staff since 1997. “I couldn't speak. I was a bit shocked. I don't know how to explain it. It's not something you'd expect. I thanked them for 13 years.

“I thanked Ed Wade and Tal Smith, and we hugged each other. I have to decide soon. I'm still thinking what I will do. ”

Wade met with the entire coaching staff while the Astros were in New York for the final three games of the season, and on Tuesday some decisions were clarified a bit.

“Tal and I met with (Cruz) this morning and told him we were going to reassign him,” Wade said. “He would be sort of a hybrid between what Al Pedrique did for us last year and what Larry Dierker and Jimmy Wynn do. It's similar to what Enos performs for us.

“He would be in uniform pregame for all home games, and then at game time he'd come up here to sit with us in the GM box with Tal, me and Enos.”

Cruz, whose No. 25 was retired by the Astros in 1992, was saddened by the news.

“It was sad because I felt real good as a coach,” he said. “That's part of the front office's decision. They're making changes, and it's bad luck that I had to be part of this coaching staff. It wasn't just me. All the coaches (save Berry) were let go.”

Wade informed Cooper's coaches that they were free to look for employment elsewhere when Cooper was fired on Sept. 21. Only third-base coach Clark, who was promoted to interim manager, was guaranteed a shot at the manager's position.

i don't know what the astros are thinking. Drayton...you need to just go away!

JOSEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CRUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! thx for the memories!

1 person likes this.
  2. RocketMania1991

There is no possible positive outcome from this what so ever.

1 person likes this.
  3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

4. dianap07

dianap07 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.