1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jose Altuve compared to the 3000 hit club

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by samtaylor, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is better at getting hits. They might be singles, but I don't think anyone did that better than him.

2. jsingles

jsingles Member

I've read some articles by James, can't argue any of his points and the article I was reading had to do with the moving of the pitchers mound. Men like Speaker I believe would have thrived in today's baseball.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>These items are now MLB authenticated artifacts that Jose Altuve will keep from his 1,000th hit game. <a href="https://t.co/8peQgOvXOf" title="http://twitter.com/AstrosTalk/status/765761229537370113/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/8peQgOvXOf</a></p>&mdash; Mike Acosta (@AstrosTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/AstrosTalk/status/765761229537370113" data-datetime="2016-08-17T04:04:38+00:00">August 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He was deemed "too small" to have an impact

Obviously that was wrong

Wonder if the "small body" will break down at an earlier age?

No way to know what he will be like in 8-12 years

But right now, he is baseballs best player

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's actually not better, he just has more of them. Ted Williams is a career .344 hitter and Ichiro is at .313. Ichiro doesn't even belong anywhere near the same discussion as Ted Williams when it comes to the caliber of hitter he was.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Good call, but forget BA.... the biggest forgotten separator for hitters IMO is BB-K.

Ichiro, who wasn't even a power hitter, is 620-1021. That ratio sucks for power hitter, much less a slappy. Teddy Ballgame was nearly 3-1, with power.

This is also Cabrera's biggest weakness. He's like 900-1400. Still a great hitter, but he will forever be in the bottom end of greatest hitters despite the Triple.

AROD has more Ks than BBs... not Miguel bad, but still.

Bonds is an absolute beast with 2500-1800 IIRC, with bookoo power.

Ichiro is mainly a niche player whose specialty was getting hits. He's not even a top 50 hitter in MLB history.

1 person likes this.
  7. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

I see your point, but I gotta say.. I respectfully disagree. BB/K ratio is extremely valuable to determine the effectiveness of an at-bat, but not whether a guy can get base hits. When I think of hitters I move up those pure contact players like Ichiro.

1 person likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you seriously arguing that Ichiro is a better hitter than Ruth and Williams?

I can guarantee that if you ask any major league manager, past or present, if they could pick one of Ruth, Williams or Ichiro to be on their team none would pick Ichiro.

Over the course of his career, Ted Williams got on base an average of 2.05 times per game. Ichiro is at 1.49. Shoot, Altuve is at 1.54.

Ichiro is 517th all time in OBP behind the likes of Mark Texiera and Dexter Fowler.

He is 75th all time in AVG.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

BB/K is an efficiency stat. Part of the reason a guy like Ichiro gets plenty hits is because he refuses to walk and/or take pitches, which is not a redeeming quality for a leadoff guy. It's pretty weak for a slap hitter to have almost double K's than walks. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find a player in history with a good ratio who wasn't a contact guy and/or a good hitter.

10. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

If Altuve finishes 1st in the American League in hits (currently 15 hits ahead of Mookie Betts), he would become just the 5th AL player ever to lead the league in hits for 3 straight years, joining Ichiro, Kirby Puckett, Tony Oliva, and Ty Cobb.

11. vince

vince Member

And to think, Altuve was seen by many as a place holder until Delino DeShields was ready to take over 2nd base on the big league club. Talk about Altuve stamping his hold onto the 2nd base for the next 10 years.

I know Altuve is under contract. But should the Astros feel a little guilty he is paid so much less for the MVP level of production he's producing.

12. Buck Turgidson

He was an *******, but he was the Greatest:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MsDYEQl1Sy0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He'd win MVP if we somehow made the playoffs. He'll still have a chance if we miss, but he's the prohibitive favorite if he make it.

14. the shark

the shark Member

IMO, Williams was the greatest hitter ever. You could throw some others into the mix, but Ichiro, give me a freakin' break. Rose is the all-time hit leader, and I don't think anyone has said he's the greatest hitter of all-time.

15. what

what Member

All I know is that the only guy close to hitting .400 in the modern era was Tony Gwynn (1994).

The other thing I know is that obviously hitting .400 when williams did it was much easier than it was when Gwynn hit .394.

Trying to compare eras with stats is very sketchy. Ichiro is a beast, by the way. Regardless of where you wanna rank him as a hitter.

16. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm rooting for him and he is the front runner IMO, but I would not be overly shocked or upset if Betts were to win it. He is having an insane year as well.

Funny how the two smallest dudes in the league are the front runners.

17. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

He said it about Pete Rose, but I think this Mickey Mantle quote would apply to Suzuki as well: "If I'd spent my career hitting singles like Pete Rose, I'd have worn a dress."

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

In an era of continual defensive shifts, unlike any of the former greats have ever seen, we are witnessing something truly magical, right here at home.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

1994 was a strange year. A number of players had career years, including Jeff Bagwell.

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Also in an era of advanced scouting and technology unlike any of the former greats have seen. Data is used today like never used before. That said, now that he doesn't chase like he did in the past, Altuve has virtually no weaknesses and pitchers are clueless onto how to pitch him even with all this data.