1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan Hill Article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by avn81, Mar 9, 2010.

1. avn81

avn81 Member

2. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Im still iffy about him. Then yet again D'antoni was unfair with the kid.
    1st

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It sounds like he has a history of working hard and enjoying the game. I don't see how a kid with his physical gifts and that mentality can fail in this league. Will he be an All Star? I doubt it but it would not surprise me one bit if he matures into a 15/10 guy who is one hell of a weak side shotblocker.

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Damn, Morey really knows how to pick up some great young players!

5. LifeisButaDream

Thanks,Good read

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

Top 3 potential..There's gotta be a reason why 7 teams passed on him.

7. Htown's2kFinest

I like that he worked with Tim Grover. :grin: Really tho if he decides to go back to him in the offseason, I could see him getting like 10 or more lbs on his frame easy.

Also liked that he was in that Amare summer camp. If his offensive game could ever be close to Amare's... :eek: Maybe he could work a little with Hakeem in the summer now that he's with Houston. Hakeem could be his mentor just like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is for Bynum in LA.

8. LifeisButaDream

Yes but those reasons wont matter when were done with him. :p

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

of course...he was/is still raw, thats the knock on him

10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

There must be a reason 12 teams passed on Kobe Bryant. :rolleyes:

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan Hill has impressed me with the last game. Hopefully he can develop some consistancy.

12. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I bet Memphis and Minnesota wishes they could have picked him or picked better. Memphis decided they wanted to go with raw talented in selecting Hasheem Thabeet and makes me believe they had no idea that they would be in the playoff contention. And Minnesota even though they picked a bright star with Ricky Rubio, it seems that they will never see him as a timber-pup. Some might argue with Thunder and their pick of James Harden since Tyreke Evans seems better, but I think Harden fits better with the Thunder's offense.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree 1000%. The kids got true size and he could easily add another 15 to 25lbs on his frame. He rebounds the ball way above the rim and not used to watching that on this current rocket team.

14. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

This will be a big summer for Hill. I think he will develop nicely and be a big addition to the team next year and beyond. A full training camp for all the new guys with Yao and everybody else will be great. It will be something to have our full team healthy and ready to go next year.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Where was Paul Pierce drafted?

16. anchel

anchel Member

• Griffin - Thabeet - Harden was the clear top-3 for a long time.
    • Sacramento and Minnesota they wanted both a PG. Rubio at the fifth pick was a hands-down choice.
    • The same with Curry at the 7th. Besides that the Warriors already selected Anthony Randolph at the last draft (and had Biedrins, Turiaf and Brandan Wright).

17. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

there's gotta be a reason why detroit passed on melo, bosh, wade, and kaman for darko

18. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

only God knows

19. LifeisButaDream

Hill's goals

After his first meaningful playing time with the Rockets, rookie forward Jordan Hill spoke of the strides he needed to make.
    Rockets Notes: Learning process for Hill
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    March 8, 2010, 11:43PM
    “It should have been way better, but it's a learning process for me,” Hill said after he committed two quick fouls, limiting him to seven minutes and two missed shots. “I'm still trying to get the system down, how everything is going on.”

He made some of those strides the next day, setting season highs with 12 points and nine rebounds. His 23 minutes were almost as much as in the other eight games since the trade to the Rockets combined.

“I just went out there wanting to play hard, and wanted to have fun,” Hill said. “Being new and being a rookie, it's definitely a learning process. There's a whole lot of plays to learn. The defensive system, you have to learn. I'm trying to build it up and watch the veterans in the game and see what they're doing so if I get my time to shine, I can do the same thing. I'm just trying to be patient and do what I have to do.”http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6903738.html

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I really like the idea of a developing Hill so he can provide relief for an overworked Scola. In a year or two, who knows, Luis may be providing relief for Hill. In either case, the opposing team gets no relief.

In the coming months -- at least through the summer -- posters here will be lamenting the loss of Carl Landry and condemning me for the following observation: Landry is a good player but Hill is and will be a serious upgrade at PF.

Unfortunately, Hill is not a PF-C, or at least not yet. He doesn't have the weight (muscle) nor the height to slide over for extensive minutes. Like Scola, he can do it for brief periods against less active centers. (I still hope we draft a true center to back up Yao Ming or Hilton Armstrong makes dramatic strides.)
    If Hill muscles up too much, I fear he could lose his cat-quick agility.