1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan and Real Defenses

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Oct 29, 2008.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Came by this video and thought it was pretty good and would lead to some discussion so I thought I'd share. I grew up watching Jordan and Hakeem and sometimes when I talk to those a few years younger, they don't know what handchecking was like and how the game was more physical everywhere. Most of the contact in the video would immediately be called for a foul or even a technical in today's NBA, and you can bet that the Wades or Kobes of today would not only have to adjust a lot (they are great players and I'm sure would) but also learn so much more strategy and "veteran moves" to compete at the same level in that oldschool environment.

The first few minutes of this video are great, the middle you can skip some as it's just a ton of clips of michael getting doubled and the very last minute with jordan talking might send chills up your spine.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5auPSMaD3vE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5auPSMaD3vE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I love telling kids random facts about that NBA that don't even seem that old to me and watch them in disbelief.

Like...
    - McDyess used to average 20 and 10 with 2 blocks like a Bosh/Brand/Jefferson.
    - Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway were the same hype as Lebron and Wade back in the day. What you don't believe me? Hill had 20 pts, 10 reb, 7 ast, 1.5 stls in his 2nd and 3rd seasons.
    - Orlando has had Tmac, Shaq, Hill, Penny, Ben Wallace. No, they never really did well in the playoffs.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Actually, Orlando was conference powerhouse or solid playoff team from about 94-99 (even in the post Shaq years).

Younger fans also don't know things, such as...

* Before 2001-2002, there was no such thing as defensive 3 seconds in the Key or lane violations (at least in NBA), a center could set up shop in lane, like he would in college/high school/international basketball. At the same time, the old illegal defense rule (aka zone defense) became legal, where you could double players off the ball.

http://www.nba.com/news/rule_changes_010412.html/ (You all can think Jerry Colangelo for that).

* Flagrant Fouls didn't exist before 1990. The NBA used to be like a weaker version of NFL. There were fights all of the time, and regular fouls could be quite dirty, very hard, and didn't necessarily warrant suspensions or fines.

* Dennis Rodman didn't color his hair until he started dating Madonna, which was around late 93 to early 94 (little after he was traded to San Antonio). His personality also started to shine a little bit more, if you know what I mean. But don't be fooled, he also started to dominate on the boards, while he was at it.

* Oscar Robertson's unbreakable triple double season was challenged many times, in the mid 80s and early 90s by following players: Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Fat Lever, Grant Hill, and Michael Jordan. Every single player, except MJ and Grant Hill had at least 3 seasons were their averages 15 + ppg, 8+ rebs, or 8 asts. In fact, Magic, Fat, and Larry were all a few decimal points away from becoming 2nd player to average a triple double for an entire season.

* Wilt Chamberlain averaged more assists per game or just as much as John Havilcek, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and every other big man in the league. He also lead the league in 67 or 68...

* Almost every team in NBA had legit point guard, who could either pass, shoot, score, and defend. The 90s were the golden age for point guards. Here are all of the players who were starting point guards in 90s for a typical season: John Stockton, Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, Muggsy Bogues, Mark Price, Gary Payton, Nick Van Exel, Penny Hardaway, Isiah Thomas (early 90s), Mookie Blaylock, Kenny Anderson, Rod Strickland, Terry Porter, B.J. Armstrong, Ron Harper (more of a figurehead), Avery Johnson, Sam Cassell, Kenny Smith (combo guard/but started as pg...like Jason Terry), Terrell Brandon, Stephon Marbury (late 90s), Chris Jackson (M.Abdul Rauf), Greg Anthony, Michael Adams, John Paxton, Damon Stoudemire, and an older Magic Johnson (for a few years, even though he played small forward when he came back to NBA).

The NBA is a g. damn joke.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When I read the thread title I knew what this would be about. Agree completely. Michael Jordan in this era would average 26free throw attempts per game.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

some good stuff there, but these guys don't belong on your list of guys who could do it all:

Muggsy (shot..could not extend at all, couldn't create his own obviously), Armstrong (not a good playmaker, just average at best), Avery (similar to Muggsy), Chris Jackson (more of a scorer than anything else...played point due to size and team personnel), Greg Anthony (average overall), Paxon (no 't'.. see Armstrong)

I agree with your premise that it was a great age for all around PG's compared to the current situation

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I should have made it clearly, because they couldn't do everything...they just did more things than average point guard does, now.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

back when jordan played, when he went to take a jumper, the other team could pull out of a 2x4 and smack him across the face with it and the refs wouldn't even call a foul. in the 4th quarter, the board had a nail in it.

7. Christopher

Christopher Member

I have to say I enjoyed the more physical play before the NBA decided that basketball should be a non contact sport.

These days I find it hard to watch an NBA game without turning off because of frustration at seeing stupid little fouls called when a player dares put a hand on 7 foot tall player.

I find they call a few less of them in the playoffs but its still annoying seeing such great athletes not being allowed to just play the damn game!

8. Toneh83

Toneh83 Member

God, How I love me some Jordan. I love that I had the pleasure to watch his career in full, and brag about it to my younger brother. To this VERY day, whenever I play a pickup game of hoops, time and time again, whenever it be going in for a layup or a jump shot, the tongue hangs out. Not to mention breaking out the Jordan 13's.

9. TracyMcCrazyeye

LOL was that shaq in the beginning of the vid breaking the goal? so random.

10. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

11. uciratz

uciratz New Member

most overrated ever

12. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

If you are talking about Jordan, then this has to be the most r****ded post ever.

13. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

A 12th man in Jordan's Era could average 50ppg in today's league.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Forgive him. He is only 13 years old.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

while we're on the subject of jordan, there's no way anyone can argue that the rockets only won in '95 because michael wasn't in top form...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2xso1KXY7ok&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2xso1KXY7ok&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. francis 4 prez

that was actually a pretty good video. if kobe had gotten dwyane wade calls in that series, he would've shot 30 free throws a game. kobe's inability to buy a call in the final 2 series of the playoffs was a weird subplot. the spurs couldn't send him to the line if they wanted to and the celtics pretty much did what they wanted (all fairly clear in that video) with no calls. easier to stop guys like kobe and lebron when you can do whatever you want.

17. francis 4 prez

just because he averaged more points, steals, and blocks and the same rebounds and assists while shooting a higher fg% than in any of the second 3-peat playoffs, doesn't mean he was in top form.

wait, i guess it does.

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Lol :D. The good ol' days.

19. NADman

NADman Member

The best NBA era was the Jordan era. The 80's to mid 90's. Enough said.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Ohh booohooey for Kobe. Those those Celtic defenses looked pretty stout...& mighta been more Phil Jackson getting outcoached

Random old ball tibdits
    -Current to semi-current old players PJ Brown, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning, Darrell Armstrong & Robert Horry all started college ball the same year - 1988
    -Last player to have actually played in the NBA anytime the 80's - Clifford Robinson