1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Feigen: Rockets turn attention to centers in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm starting to wonder lol.

My understanding on the Wood trade -- nobody wants a center. Most teams have one and don't want another, at least not one that they've passed on before for $900,000 and now makes $13+ million. Centers aren't the commodity they once were unless they really move the needle.

2. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Not draft related; but in your opinion Clutch do you rhink we'll ever see a return to teams playing 2 traditional big men?

hakeem94 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If they are going to add a center for d rather do it through the draft.

Really, I’d rather just resign Fernando and be done with it.

Let the bigs we have sink or swim and then adjust accordingly heading into 2023-2024 season.

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Exactly. He actually played well every time he was given minutes.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I like the idea of getting Claxton because it makes the Nets worse and may improve our picks (he's the only decent big they have).

I think Boban is good as a locker room guy and seems like a nice guy but I don't necessarily like his fit with this team. I think the first unit will play more half court offense with Sengun and Banchero operating in the paint. I'd like to have a fast breaking second unit that can utilize KMJ athleticism led by whichever of KPJ or Jalen Green stays on the court.

My guess is the rockets keep taking chances on centers in free agency because they ultimately don't want to dedicate big money to one unless they're a star (fingers crossed for Sengun). They want to lock one in to a mid level-ish contract so they have a full lineup when the kids take the next step.

The picks need to be used for BPA. if that's a center they should take him but if that's a wing they should also take him.

#25 pmac, Jun 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  6. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

it would be nice to get him for a reasonable number, but he aint worth the midlevel, needs a three ball. he's too skinny to box out and do the dirty work.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Simple: EGo - NN/Kemba (future) FRP. Kemba is kut, Noel is Feb trade bait?

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DHo has no equal.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah but Duren is that special type of center who is athletic enough to guard the perimeter and the paint. A switchable 6’10” defensive stud with huge upside offensively. He’s a guy I’d spend to move up for. But since we are locked into Sengun and Paolo it would be hard to figure out where the minutes would come from.

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Stone IS SO BAD in free agency.

BHannes2BHonest and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes, because let me tell you, the FAs are just lining up to sign with the Rockets at the moment.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah but he can just force players to come if he wants. They don’t have a choice.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's going to sign a Daniel Theis type player. AGAIN.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Duren.

Aruba77 likes this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This is ridiculous... sorry....

A pick in the mid 20s as a 'swing for the fences' type pick is either going to work or not. They have had a full year to look at Garuba so far. If he hasn't shown enough to be considered for more PT, then maximising the MLE to get a vet role player who can help the development of 2021 picks 2 16 and 24 and 2022 picks 3 17 and 26 seems like a good idea?

Garuba might be a flop. That's OK. He then becomes an expiring contract this year. From what I have seen, he probably lacks either the athleticism or shooting touch to overcome his short stature as an NBA centre.
    But we still have a whole year to look at him - I'd be sending him to GLeague again this year and seeing how he goes.

I am probably someone who thinks Sengun isn't ready to start, so getting a Thomas Bryant to start games makes sense to me...

#36 DrNuegebauer, Jun 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    jcmoon and Corrosion like this.
  17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why do you think they're locked into Sengun? In my opinion of watching him play, Paolo is a 3/4 type. You could draft Banchero and if Eason or Duren (if he falls) or Koloko at 26. Sengun is going to have to prove just like any other mid round 1st rd pick.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wood
    Nwaba
    Nix
    Mathews

I think Stone has done ok in FA so far in the early days? P

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

man, Garuba hasn’t really had much of a chance. He was super young playing at the highest intl level when we drafted him. He got hurt and then looked pretty good to me in the few games he played at the end of the nba season. I’m convinced with some playing time, he’ll take a big step next year; his versatile defense and rebounding is exactly what we need. But even if he does flop, we’ve still gotta find out what we have.

but I wouldn’t let Sengun or Garuba affect my desire to grab a guy like Duren if he fell into the late lotto.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Agree!!

But I might also consider year development of all our other young guys - so I understand acquiring a proven NBA C to the team who can help out by rebounding and clogging the defensive lane

Aruba77 likes this.