1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Barry?? maybe not

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nene, May 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. nene

nene Contributing Member

So much for Barry being the "heady", "intelligent", "high Basketball IQ" veteran guard that we need to solve our problem of young, dumb, selfish, streetball always dribbling guards we have now.

That technical foul he got at a critical point in the 4th quarter was dumb and not to mention his turnovers. And after he got the tech. he proceded to cry about it and had to be held back by his teammates. All this in the 4th of a conference finals game which his team went on to loose in part because of his bonehead play.

Maybe we should stick with what we got.

2. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

Jon Barry brings everything that the Rockets need. He knows his role and brings an unmeasurable amount of energy to the team. The entire Palace of Auburn Hills starts to buzz when he takes the warmups off, it gets loud when he enters the game, and it erupts the moment he does ANYTHING productive which doesn't take long. He has heart, a great shot, and loves to CREATE FOR OTHERS. Did Jon Barry lose his head for a moment? Yes. Did some of the Rockets lose their head for an entire season? Yes. Should the Rockets try to get Jon Barry? YES!!!

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think Barry's happy in Detroit. There really is no reason for him to leave to go to Houston.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not his finest moment for sure, but I dont think that moment is indicitive of what he can bring to a team or his behavior in general. More like an isolated incident.

5. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Ditto to what Thomp said:

And I'll raise the bet: Bring Jon AND Brent. We can use both of their talents, they would have instant chemistry, blend well with Yao off the court (which he would appreciate far more than Steve's meaningless public pronouncements of support), and make other's better on the court!!

Let's have a "Barry Great" off season...

6. sydmill

sydmill Member

rox r us that is stupid to say that about steve.....barry reminds me of pre-cassell scottie brooks (team player/fan fav) more than a savior for the rox

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Jon barry is the 8th option on a good team AT BEST. he did not even play game 6 against Phili or game 1 against NJ. Not 1 minute. Very inconsistent. And this is on a team that needs ANY sort of offensive boost. And they definitely move the ball around, and yet he is inconsistent.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Jon Barry brings everything that the Rockets need.

Is "Jon Barry" now code for SHAQ?

Thanks for injecting some common sense, HeyDude.

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

thank you, TheFreak.

when did Jon Barry become Neo?

10. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Jon Barry averages 16 minutes and about 5 shots per game ..for his Career. I doubt that would qualify him as any kind of option.
    Hes a 10yr vet who has skills and he hustles. He gets a minimum salary and earns it.
    Detroit is happy with Jon and hes not likely to sign elsewhere. But he is a free agent, should the Rockets be lucky enough to sign him, he will find a way to earn his minutes here ...as he has everywhere hes been. Jon Barry would be an exellent addition to this team.

11. SLA

SLA Member

I still want him......

COMPARE.....

Jon Barry or Moochie Norris?????

Who would you rather have playing 12 minutes per game?

Of course...there are other players...like Jim Jackson...

Or we can always stick with Moochie playing 12 minutes a game and screwing us and Mobley playing 42 minutes a game...

12. nene

nene Contributing Member

I like Jon and Brent both but I think that in an attempt to make positive changes some of us are kinda over-rating them both.

Jim Jackson sound good to me.

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

He did look like an ass.

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

SLA,

i don't think anyone (well very few) would disagree with the fact that jon barry would be a decent addition to the roster. what is being overdone is the impact he would have.

bench role players are great - and necessary. however, we have much more pressing needs to address, such as our offensive system, our power forward situation (still), obtaining either an nba quality point guard or shooting guard (should steve stay at pg). the largest issue of all, though, is the development of yao ming. all things on this team will revolve around yao and his abilities. so, should we make moves? yes. but lets not lose perspective on the significance of these moves. they pale in comparison to the significance of yao ming (and to a lesser degree eddie griffin's) development.

that said, go for it. sign jb. that is, assuming he even wants to leave detroit. but understand that he is either gonna play ~10 minutes per game, or be misplaced as a ~30 minute per game starter.

15. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

jon would definitely raise the BB IQ of the rockets backcourt...

i envision him being this teams mario elie...i doubt he is the defender elie was, but probably a better shooter and passer... nonetheless a hungry, blue collar, steady vet..who gives rudy a legitimate option at the 2 when cat isnt with the program or is having an off night...

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If the series continues as is I suspect Rice, Michigan ex etc etc last year of his contract etc etc would bring Corliss and JB. Worse things could happen than that!

BTW - JB may have overreacted 'boneheadedly' but without his earlier play there would not have been a close game to lose!

17. nene

nene Contributing Member

WOW !!! Objectivity.

It amazes me how Rocket fans can accept that from players on another team and not the Rockets themselves.

18. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

Great lets trade him for Yao or Francis:rolleyes:

Your right except for the idea that we do not have a sg. Mobley is a good starter and will be even better when Yao contributions become more consistant. Cat's role will be more defined and he will become a Worhty (to a lesser degree) type player; Very good around better players. People forget Yao did not start and no one new what to exspect from him. Cat was our 2nd option and our second best player for a few years now. He could bring similar production with less responsabiltiy next year.

The fowards should be addressed first and then the bench. Berry will not get us and then carry us through the play-offs, lets be real.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Funny you should mention that -- I considered adding almost exactly that to my post.