1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Barry doesn't think Hou will make playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Feb 27, 2008.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

didn't the media say the EXACT same things when yao went down last yr?

it's understandable b/c the west is just ridiculous this yr. u lose 3-4 games in a row and you're basically done (look at portland who had a 13 game winning streak themselves).

but we'll see. i think this team has too much heart to not be in.

2. poprocks

poprocks Member

Ya lose some scoring punch with Yao out but it's arguable that with Deke in the Center you gain defensively and get a higher rebound rate and blocked shots. Rebounds especially offensive rebounds are almost as good as shots made because it gives your team another possession. If Scola and Landry combined can increase their scoring by about 10 ppg with increased minutes and with Deke giving us 10- ppg, we should still be a tough opponent for most teams. Our perimeter players will get the ball more with Deke so I expect T-Mac's, Shanes and Alstons numbers to increase slightly too.

3. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Member

I like flying under the radar...we are gonna shock some people this year.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I remember he also said the rockets need a couple of seasons to get Adelman's system. In fact, it is much faster than he thinks.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

I like our chances. We have a deeper team than last year plus a better coach.

6. Crudder

Crudder Member

Being the underdog never hurt anyone... in my opinion, I'd rather be the underdog and underestimated than overestimated... we have a good chance of making the playoffs.. of course, how far we go (i.e. second round and beyond) depends on a number of factors such as match-ups, coaching, if our players step up (esp. Tmac) and so on.

Here is my take on how teams view us now and why I think we'll make the playoffs. We are no longer a double threat team because its only Tmac now drawing doubles and not Tmac and Yao. However, this works greatly to our advantage. When Tmac swings to other individuals without doubles, someone will be open and/or the lane will be open. Because we have a group of guys that can finish and play hard, I'm not as worried. If they double tmac so far outside the three point line, we know we have some solid passers in rafer and bobby. Rafer may not always shoot the way he is shooting now but I do believe the lane is open for Scola to go to work (which he has done beautifully throughout his career btw) on either the weak or strong side because landry will be opposite him.

We will be fine. If Tmac does more than pass i.e. he lights it up on scoring, then i think we'll be more than fine.

7. smartfish

smartfish Member

I have to disagree on this one. If we can make the playoff, we deserve that spot to compete. There will be only one champion, but 16 teams need to compete for it. This is sports, not Oscar. You play and find out who is the champion, not vote and give out award.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Thanks for bringing back my proudest memory of the Rudy T era. Unfortunately, he was talking about all of the doubters who wrote that Rockets team off because they entered the playoffs as a mere 6th seed (if memory serves) the year after winning their first championship. Those Rockets truly had the heart of a champion propelling them on while today's Rockets have to rely on the heart of Tmac.

9. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Dude we signed Bobby Jones ;)

10. across110thstreet

Jon Barry should know better about the heart of this team...

Stephen A Smith's take is even worse: he thinks the Rockets have only one chance of making the playoffs: "give the ball to Tracy McGrady, move out the way, and shut up..."

he completely goes against everything the team is doing this year- playing team ball, playing selfless, and believing in each other.

it really is a cop-out as far as analysis goes.

11. The Franchise

The Franchise Member

As much as i'll miss Yao I think that this is the silver lining for us. Defensively I think we are better with Mutombo even at 1000!! If Tracy Mcgrady steps up (like he should) we could still make some noise this year. If he Tmac uses this as an excuse to tank it, then I will have lost the last bit of respect I had for him as a player. If Mcgrady doesn't seize this chance to lead his team then get rid of his punk ass.

12. dividend

dividend Member

For some reason, I think he thinks we can make the playoffs. He just didn't want to seem like a 'homer' and is trying to be objective as an analyst. Just a feeling...

13. count_dough-ku

Some other dude on ESPN(I think it was Chris Broussard) is saying the Rockets won't make the playoffs. He thinks Denver will end up passing them in the standings.

Boy, I hope we make it in and shut these people up. Have they even looked at Denver's remaining schedule? It's worse than ours.

14. tsunami

tsunami Member

we will make it, the reason is we have Scola and Landry this season.

15. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

It's funny how a team can be on a 13 game winning streak, 3 games from first place, and still is flying under the radar. Rocket fans (at least for me) believe the Rockets can still win big without Yao. The underdog situation is much better anyway.

16. okierock

okierock Member

Last season:

Chuck Hayes
    Juwan Howard
    Vassilis Spanolis
    John Lucas

This season:

Luis Scola
    Mandry
    Bobby Jackson
    Aaron Brooks

This is a MUCH better team than last year and last years team did ok without Yao. We may not beat the Celtics in the Championship but we WILL make the playoffs.

BTW GG got 6 points 2 rebounds in 4 minutes last night. :D

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

Second this.

On a related, philosophic note: Its funny how the fact that his season is over freaks us out more than it would if we didn't know. If Dr. Clanton has a presser and said "Yao is out indefinitely, not timetable" we would all be saying "well, not good, but we can keep it together"

18. RocksMillenium

How is one 3 game skid going to knock us out when we're 3 games ahead of Denver? And you're assuming that Golden State and Denver would pass us up, something that they haven't shown that they can do. Some of you guys can give up on this team but we're not, and this team isn't giving up on itself, and that's all that matters.

19. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

agreed.

20. poprocks

poprocks Member

Deke can still score if he can get open on the backdoor cuts. Should be interesting to watch.